AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

Amazon US had preorders open for 5600X, looks like I'll be back on AMD next month. And they just announced they will have a fix coming soon for the USB issues that affected VR/USB audio, so I'll be good to go. I can sell my 9700K for what the 5600X will cost me new in Japan (9700K goes for $300 in the second hand market).
AMD direct has the 5600x in stock on their site.

Sorry.
I just checked after posting and they're OOS again.
They had them last evening.
I actually put one in my cart and went to PP to checkout...then decided against it.

Last edited:
AMD direct has the 5600x in stock on their site.

Sorry.
I just checked after posting and they're OOS again.
They had them last evening.
I actually put one in my cart and went to PP to checkout...then decided against it.
Amazon offers shipping to Japan and the price isn't bad, basically $16 for one week shipping. The price in Japan is $430 USD so even with customs of $15 it's worth it. Plus AMD Direct is operated by a really shady company that has awful customer service I've heard.

Has anyone had any luck with PBO2 Curve optimising settings with 5000 series CPUs?

Apparently when you do it per core with a negative offset it is the best way to undervolt (which actually increases boost performance quite significantly due to increased thermal headroom). Its not been integrated into Ryzen Master just yet only adjustable via manual bios settings.

Best Buy has the 5600X in stock, and AMD resolved the USB/PCI-E4 issue so using 5000 series Ryzen for VR is no longer a problem.
I'll be ordering an ASUS STRIX B550-I GAMING and using a CM NR200 for a "console sized" gaming PC.
Now that I "sidegraded" to Fanatec Podium Racing Wheel F1 from Simucube 2, I can reduce pedals + wheelbase + shifter to a single USB, so I only need Valve Index + K400 Dongle + Fanatec + Blue Yeti and occasionally my Xbox controller which I plug into the front USB = 4 (sometimes 5). More than enough USB ports on the STRIX B550-I. I might need a USB-C cable to replace one of the components. I'm thinking I'll use a small USB hub for the K400 and Blue Yeti, and the other 3.2 ports will be for the wheelbase and Valve Index.

Really excited to go from ATX to Mini ITX.

Wondered if anyone was using Ryzen Master to overclock the CPU??

Yes you can use it to overclock and or undervolt your CPU instead of using the bios and really good for monitoring the CPU. I do prefer Bios settings however. But Ryzen Master is good for changes on the fly.

Hopefully they will integrate the new curve optimiser settings for PBO2 soon which only works on 5000 series.

Just took the plunge on a Ryzen 5800X. it's on amazon Germany for € 420. I'm still on an X470 mb so hope it goes well and AMD have sorted the driver issues.

IMG_1642.jpeg
IMG_1626.jpeg

I think I'm done for a while:
NR200 SFFPC case
SF750 Platinum
5600X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC
ASUS STRIX 550i
32GB DDR4-3200 Rev. E CL16
Some Scythe and Noctua fans
Scythe Fuma 2
Getting around 70C on GPU at load, 65C on CPU with a mild undervolt/OC.
Pretty quiet and I love the smaller footprint.

View attachment 457257View attachment 457258

NR200 SFFPC case
SF750 Platinum
5600X
ASUS STRIX 550i
Scythe Fuma 2
Today, I finally got around to giving my computer it's semi-annual internal cleaning.
I then installed my newly acquired 5600X.
That CPU is an outright 'animal'... no other way to describe it.
Mine easily self-boosted to 4.650GHz during Cinebench R23 testing.
It is also extremely quick when running ACC...I haven't tested the other sims yet.
You will have fun with that processor.
5600X_stresstest.PNG

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

View attachment 457257View attachment 457258

NR200 SFFPC case
SF750 Platinum
5600X
ASUS STRIX 550i
Scythe Fuma 2
im not sure yo should have your HDD positioned like that, i read somewhere yo shall not position HDD vertically cause it has platter that it shall be positioned horizontally cause of gravity, if yo have it vertically gravity works on it and may increase risk of curvatures on platter and damage disc, cause it spins at 7 200-10 000 RPMs

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure yo should have your HDD positioned like that, i read somewhere yo shall not position HDD vertically cause it has platter that it shall be positioned horizontally cause of gravity, if yo have it vertically gravity works on it and may increase risk of curvatures on platter and damage disc, cause it spins at 7 200-10 000 RPMs

From another website

According to several manufacturers, mounting a 3/5″ hard drive horizontally, vertically, or sideways doesn’t affect the hard drive life significantly.

These are statements taken from the hard drive literature at each manufacturer’s website

Hitachi:

The drive will operate in all axes (6 directions). Performance and error rate will stay within specification limits if the drive is operated in the other orientations from which it was formatted.

Western Digital:

Physical mounting of the drive: WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation).

Maxtor:

The hard drive can be mounted in any orientation.

Samsung:

As long as it is securely attached to the chassis, hard disk drives may be mounted either horizontally or vertically depending on how your computer’s case is constructed.

When asked if the drive could be mounted at askew angles, their official positions were:

Manufacturer Contact method Response
------- --------------------- ---------------------
WD Tech support, email 90 degrees.
Hitachi Hitachi documentation 90 degrees.
Samsung Tech support, phone 90 degrees.
Fujitsu Tech support, chat 90 degrees +-5.
Seagate Tech support, email 90 degrees preferred,
but diagonal OK.
Maxtor Tech support, phone 90 degrees preferred, but in
real world, whatever.
By 90 degrees, they mean vertical, horizontal, or sideways.

Can someone help point me in the right direction on what might be holding my system back in terms of FPS. I upgraded to a 5600x today from a 3600 and performance is worse than before. I had settings in ACC that gave me 72fps with the 3600 and now I can’t get over 36. Assetto Corsa isn’t any better either. I use an Oculus Quest 2 with a link cable, default resolution and 72hz.

Specs below
Ryzen 5600x
RTX3060ti
Asus B450M
16GB RAM
Asseno SSD 1TB

Thanks in advance

Can someone help point me in the right direction on what might be holding my system back in terms of FPS. I upgraded to a 5600x today from a 3600 and performance is worse than before. I had settings in ACC that gave me 72fps with the 3600 and now I can’t get over 36. Assetto Corsa isn’t any better either. I use an Oculus Quest 2 with a link cable, default resolution and 72hz.

Specs below
Ryzen 5600x
RTX3060ti
Asus B450M
16GB RAM
Asseno SSD 1TB

Thanks in advance
Did you ONLY change 5600x or something else too?

It might be different things..
Either your power plan changed and your cpu isn't running at full clockspeeds?
Maybe ACC noticed the hardware changed and reset the settings?

Maybe you screwed up with the CPU cooler and it's running into temperature throttling?

What you should do:
download Cinebench R15, do the two CPU tests. Single core and all core (you'll see 12 squares or only 1 square being filled at once).
Tell us your scores!

This way we'll know if it's something to do with the games or if your CPU has a general issue across every application :)

Scores found from 5600x reviews:
Single core: 255 points
Multicore: 1902 points

Did you ONLY change 5600x or something else too?

It might be different things..
Either your power plan changed and your cpu isn't running at full clockspeeds?
Maybe ACC noticed the hardware changed and reset the settings?

Maybe you screwed up with the CPU cooler and it's running into temperature throttling?

What you should do:
download Cinebench R15, do the two CPU tests. Single core and all core (you'll see 12 squares or only 1 square being filled at once).
Tell us your scores!

This way we'll know if it's something to do with the games or if your CPU has a general issue across every application :)

Scores found from 5600x reviews:
Single core: 255 points
Multicore: 1902 points
Sound advice.
Get Cinebench R23 instead and I can give you a comparison score.
Before changing my CPU, I booted into safe mode...went to the Device manager and removed all entries for my 3600X and then shutdown.
I then swapped out the unit...reapplying MX thermal compound along with my modded cooling solution.
R23_SC score.PNG

Last edited:
Can someone help point me in the right direction on what might be holding my system back in terms of FPS

Sound advice as above.

Just to add, as well as the latest bios for the motherboard, make sure you are running the latest Ryzen chipset drivers. Between 3000 and 5000 it has changed in that you must now select balanced as the power profile and then move the slider to the right for maximum performance. Specific high performance profiles no longer appear.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.