AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

I couldn't see my CPU dropping in clockspeed while doing the CB15 runs with openhardwaremonitor (refresh rate 1s) but thought I'd throw windows into High Performance Powerplan.

Turns out I had the classic "Core Parking Issue" where my clock speeds would be fine but the 4 threads would only run on 2 cores with hyperthreading giving the application "4 threads". Oh dear...

Here are my "real" scores haha:

3 threads = 628
4 threads = 821

Applying our scores to "the magic constant 90 fps for most VR headsets", using my 10600k for "just being able to do so", the fps would be like this:

CPU/Score10600k OC3600 OC5600x stock
3 threads
628​
606​
743​
4 threads
821​
807​
961​
fps 3 threads
90,0​
86,8​
106,5​
fps 4 threads
90,0​
88,5​
105,3​

Last edited:
I hope you find & solve the problem that is holding back the cpu performance. Here is a screenshot of my Cinebench r15 3 thread test result:
View attachment 433787

I've technically also got some issues with the 5600x performance across all cores. It seems to be held back by a 76W PPT limit (should be 88W) and it seems to have a definite impact on the overall score of all 12 threads (maybe even 4 threads!) - 1727 (probably less than what @robt100 is getting with his Ryzen 3600 :confused: ).
View attachment 433789
I'll put this in a second post to keep overview..
Thanks for the screenshot! It was my cores going into parked mode :p

Don't spend any time for the all core performance! You won't gain anything with 3 or 4 thread benchmarks!
I've limited my 10600k to 100W to keep it from going a bit too hot for my taste so when I do a 6 thread benchmark, it will throttle a bit.

Do you have any application that use all cores? I don't.. apart from Vegas video editing, when rendering the final video. But I did some testing and the difference is 2-3 seconds over 5 minutes of rendering. But it's 10°c!

Edited the table above :)

Have to say your tuned 3600 is pretty impressive!

Yep, im very pleased with it!

My PC before this one was an AMD FX6300, and it was a dud chip, wouldnt clock past 3.9 on all core :( so quite glad to get a 'golden' sample for my ryzen build. I reckon I could push it more, I did for a laugh do a single core overclock in Ryzen Master, took the best core and got it to 4.7GHz, then set cinebench affinity to that core for a single core run. If I tried to do anything else the PC crashed, but it was fun to experiment:D:geek:

I might be able to push it to 4.4, but with the voltage increase its not worth the effort/damage!

Memory is also tuned which probably helps, running DDR4 3600 with 16-21-21-42 timings. As for FPS in sims, im running most settings high/Epic with a few mids on the heavy stuff in ACC. Getting between 80-120 FPS (120 is the cap I set) on a 1440p 144hz screen. Using a 1660Ti, also overclocked to +150 on the GPu and +1000 on the memory, usually sits at 1980-2050Mhz when gaming.

I hope you find & solve the problem that is holding back the cpu performance. Here is a screenshot of my Cinebench r15 3 thread test result:
View attachment 433787

I've technically also got some issues with the 5600x performance across all cores. It seems to be held back by a 76W PPT limit (should be 88W) and it seems to have a definite impact on the overall score of all 12 threads (maybe even 4 threads!) - 1727 (probably less than what @robt100 is getting with his Ryzen 3600 :confused: ).
View attachment 433789

Im afraid you're right!
r15.png

You might want to double check you have the latest BIOS update, it might be a bug in the current AGESA version. You can also try turning on PBO and setting the PPT to something silly like 1000W to see if that fixes it.

I build PCs so am fairly well acquainted with computer hardware, and my mate has asked me to put together a new PC for him. Usually I would recommend an i3-8350K or an i5. Obviously sim racing is CPU intensive, and an i7 is preferable, but expensive. Having long been an Intel fanboy, with the rise of Ryzen I am thinking it is time to at least test the waters with AMD and a Ryzen 7 1800X/2700X? The alternative for the budget is an i7-5930K used. Any users currently on Ryzen that could give me some feedback of their experience?
Also ich habe einen Ryzen 5 2600
Und es läuft richtig gut mein Budget für diesen PC war auch gering spiele es mit einer rx 580 grafikkarte und einem 75 Hz Bildschirm in 1080p und ich kann echt nicht klagen spiele assetto corsa project cars 1& 2 forza motorsport 7 dank v sync in 75fps
Der Prozessor ist nie großartig ausgelastet und läuft wirklich problem frei ich weiss sind keine teuren komponennten aber ich bin zufrieden es läuft flüssig besser wie auf konsole
Und eint tuf gaming plus mainboard
Nana normalerweise hatte ich auch immer intel cpu s aber bei diesem mal mit budge arbeiten habe dieses System nun 3 Monate lang und bei den oben genannten spielen läuft alles wie ich es geschildert habe also
Antwort auf die Frage
Ryzen amd
Jupp
2600 bekommt man erst günstig
Den 2600x auch
Also nach meiner Empfindung kann ich es dir empfehlen :)

Also ich habe einen Ryzen 5 2600
Und es läuft richtig gut mein Budget für diesen PC war auch gering spiele es mit einer rx 580 grafikkarte und einem 75 Hz Bildschirm in 1080p und ich kann echt nicht klagen spiele assetto corsa project cars 1& 2 forza motorsport 7 dank v sync in 75fps
Der Prozessor ist nie großartig ausgelastet und läuft wirklich problem frei ich weiss sind keine teuren komponennten aber ich bin zufrieden es läuft flüssig besser wie auf konsole
Und eint tuf gaming plus mainboard
Nana normalerweise hatte ich auch immer intel cpu s aber bei diesem mal mit budge arbeiten habe dieses System nun 3 Monate lang und bei den oben genannten spielen läuft alles wie ich es geschildert habe also
Antwort auf die Frage
Ryzen amd
Jupp
2600 bekommt man erst günstig
Den 2600x auch
Also nach meiner Empfindung kann ich es dir empfehlen :)
Alles auf Englisch, selbst dein Zitat, aber erstmal schön auf deutsch posten? :roflmao:

Wenn Sie
Alles auf Englisch, selbst dein Zitat, aber erstmal schön auf deutsch posten? :roflmao:
Ja da die Seite automatisch übersetzt
Es ist nicht so dass ich kein Englisch kann
Aber zu diesem Moment wo ich dies geschrieben habe war es für mich
Irgindwie so
Und später habe ich gemerkt das der Post uralt ist nana
Hoffen wir mal das es automatisch übersetzt hat
Bin erst neu im racedepartment
Und war von der Flut der Informationen nach langer Spiel Session übermüdet das ich einfach auf den guten translator vertraut habe

Wenn Sie

Ja da die Seite automatisch übersetzt
Es ist nicht so dass ich kein Englisch kann
Aber zu diesem Moment wo ich dies geschrieben habe war es für mich
Irgindwie so
Und später habe ich gemerkt das der Post uralt ist nana
Hoffen wir mal das es automatisch übersetzt hat
Bin erst neu im racedepartment
Und war von der Flut der Informationen nach langer Spiel Session übermüdet das ich einfach auf den guten translator vertraut habe
Ich antworte mal auf English, damit die anderen verstehen was Sache war :laugh:

Haha nope, nothing was automatically translated. There are now 3 German posts in here :roflmao:
At least German works okay when auto-translated to English so if anyone wants to know what you've written, auto translator should work fine.
With some spanish posts, the grammar etc can be really weird!

So
hey people :)
The last years i played only on my xbox one
i m really passionated race game player
the second favourite games are strategy games city building games like cities skylines.....
okay
so far
so far i play with the xbox one controller on my pc
but since assetto corsa i realized i need a racing wheel
and im really excited to have a steering wheel
so i surf in the internet and inform me about it
i also thought about it to buy a used one
at first i have to save some money
i m since yesterday in race department
i saw some people offer used wheels
i had a lot expenditure at the moment so i have to wait till i have some money on the side
so i will be contacting when the time comes

if someone has suggestions which way to choose
I would be happy to talk

‍ Happy New Year

I improved the score to 1860 by turning on PBO & raising the PPT to 100W, as you suggested. However, after increasing the PPT, I ran in to another barrier with EDC - hitting 100% of 110A. There didn't seem any point increasing the PPT any further without addressing the EDC issue.

I might look @ it again in a month or two. I bought the 5600X to play sims - mainly AC with large grids, and I don't play any games that can push my cpu to the limit, so I don't have any urge to risk my set up for a few extra points on Cinebench.

Thanks for asking. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I improved the score to 1860 by turning on PBO & raising the PPT to 100W, as you suggested. However, after increasing the PPT, I ran in to another barrier with EDC - hitting 100% of 110A. There didn't seem any point increasing the PPT any further without addressing the EDC issue.

I might look @ it again in a month or two. I bought the 5600X to play sims - mainly AC with large grids, and I don't play any games that can push my cpu to the limit, so I don't have any urge to risk my set up for a few extra points on Cinebench.

Thanks for asking. :thumbsup:
Indeed no point in pushing it further!
I have my 10600k limited to 100w. If it gets enough load to hit that, it clocks down a little bit.
Never happened in any game yet, only during loading screens or rendering videos. But I don't care for a few more seconds here and there.

Are you hitting 100w when doing a 4 thread cinebench? That's probably the maximum load any fps critical game will take.
If a game runs on 5 threads or more, you'll have more fps than even a 3090 will be able to deliver :D

Indeed no point in pushing it further!
I have my 10600k limited to 100w. If it gets enough load to hit that, it clocks down a little bit.
Never happened in any game yet, only during loading screens or rendering videos. But I don't care for a few more seconds here and there.

Are you hitting 100w when doing a 4 thread cinebench? That's probably the maximum load any fps critical game will take.
If a game runs on 5 threads or more, you'll have more fps than even a 3090 will be able to deliver :D

I'm around 84W/84% with all 4 cores (score: 981). EDC is @ 66% & the temp. is in the low 70s.

With all 6 cores running @ 4.4ghz, the PPT is @ 100%; EDC is 97.6% & the temp is the same as above. I did another test this morning and the new score is 1897, which seems to be on par with some reviews. :)

I'm seeing in ACC (VR) that my 1080ti is a bottleneck, so I'm hoping that I don't have to change the cpu for a good few years. Is the 3090 (not that I can afford one) up to the task of running ACC in VR?

I'm seeing in ACC (VR) that my 1080ti is a bottleneck, so I'm hoping that I don't have to change the cpu for a good few years. Is the 3090 (not that I can afford one) up to the task of running ACC in VR?
Depends on the headset (resolution) and how pretty you want to have it I guess.
I can say that my 3070 is able to stay around 90 fps with everything at the highest setting, 100% resolution scale at 3440x1440.

Although there's a new setting already so I guess I'd have to test again.

With lowered settings I think a 3070 is enough for all headsets and a 3080 or 90 are definitely enough to have almost max settings with some supersampling on top!

Amazon US had preorders open for 5600X, looks like I'll be back on AMD next month. And they just announced they will have a fix coming soon for the USB issues that affected VR/USB audio, so I'll be good to go. I can sell my 9700K for what the 5600X will cost me new in Japan (9700K goes for $300 in the second hand market).

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 135 86.0%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 19 12.1%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 48 30.6%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 55 35.0%