AC Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 TT 12 @ Riverside (Long) - Tue 9th April 2024

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event

JamKart22

Staff
Premium
1605878359630.png

Note the date has moved from the 2nd to the 9th April

Welcome to the RD Racing Club.

This week we're going to a nice flowing circuit in the good old US of A - Riverside International Raceway.

Screenshot_ks_corvette_c7r_riverside_29-10-116-18-10-6.jpg

The new race format seems to work OK last race so again practice is now shorter at 50 mins and the extra 10 mins have been added to 2 x 30 min races.

Riverside_International_Raceway_1980_and_1967.svg.png

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS is essential for clean and respectful driving in our community. You should therefore use tools like Helicorsa or CarRadar and CrewChief. The links for these apps are on the bottom of this post.

DISCORD. It's important that you also join us during the event on Discord for additional information and instructions. Link is below.

Go here using the Emperor account you have been given and register with your steamID.

If you don't have an Emperor account yet, ask for one by posting in this thread (only for premium members).

Server information:
  • Server: RaceDepartment Server 3
  • Password: standard password, if you don't know that, ask for it in this thread and it will be send in a PM.
  • 20:00 CEST, 19:00 BST, 18:00 UTC | 50 minutes - Official Practice
  • 20:55 CEST, 19:55 BST, 18:55 UTC | 20 minutes - Qualification
  • 21:20 CEST, 20:20 BST, 19:20 UTC | 30 minutes - Race 1
  • 21:55 CEST, 20:55 BST, 19:55 UTC | 30 minutes - Race 2 - Reverse grid of race 1
  • Practice server available during the week. Same password.
Event details:
  • Car: Alfa Romeo 33 Tipo TT 12
  • Track: Riverside International Raceway
  • Tyre blankets: Yes
  • Track Road temperature: 30 Celsius
  • Track grip: 100%
  • Track limits: No more than 2 wheels over the white/yellow line without a lift of the gas please. You will be penalized if you break this rule.
  • Damage: 10%
  • Fuel Consumption: 100%
  • Tyre wear: 100%
  • Pitstop: No.
Useful Links:
Entry list:
Practice on Server 3 is up

Last edited:
I'm not able to make next Tuesday. We haven't got than many sign ups yet so I'll move it to the following week and you can have a week off :)

Don't forget to sign up for this race. The track is not too tricky and suits this car really well. Allan has set a blistering time for us all to aim at so get practicing :)

Well done to Jason and Paul on the race wins and thanks everyone for racing.

I had two shocking races that exposed my lack of setup knowledge. I just couldn't rotate the car - which on a track with three hairpins is a bit of a killer. I've been given some drive train settings to try so I'll see if that helps.

I'd really like to understand setup a bit more bit can't really find any online material. Does anyone have any go-to manual or has it all been learnt by trial and error?

Anyway, here are the results...

Unfortunately Colin every car is different in AC , you can never pre judge the effect of any setting.
What works for one car is meaning less in another.
Every time you find a cure all you realise it is of very little use on another car and what is even more annoying mostly that miracle setup is of no use on another circuit.
But I think Paul’s diff setting is a winner, I think mine was 20% but I am more successful with it 10% in the second race it was 30% and I seem to have a lot of - toe -30. This would be disastrous on another car. Wierd???
I am also shocked at our F3 car we race, it is not the same as Kunos cars and for me has been a very difficult car to setup and has really got me re thinking a lot of things all over again from basics.
Good luck with it all.
;)

Trying to separate setups and the extra practice to make the setups has always been for me a big problem.
I have so often been sent down a rabbit hole, and not taken the practice time into consideration, only to return to stand and at worst done a faster time.
I now try and abandon the setup and come back to it a couple of days later and after running the standard setup immediately switch to my setup, if I go quicker I know the setup has worked.
Yes it is a faff, so normally I don’t bother and just accept it as another race.

But because I put in a lot of effort, probably pointless, into setups, I can set a car up quickly,
I mainly use the setup to give at least some hope of bridging the gap to my nearest rival.
It is as much for my psychology as to do anything positive, sometime it works , sometimes it doesn’t, sometimes it makes matters worse.
But and this is a big but, I nearly always end up with a car that is much easier to drive and safer to drive, probably sometimes slows me down, but keeps me on the track if nothing else.
The end

I do try and adjust some of the obvious settings but can't notice the difference on some other settings. Maybe it's the way I have my wheel setup or I'm expecting too much of a change?

Would a strategy be to make an extreme setting adjustment to hopefully notice the difference and then wind it back for the desired result?

Yes you are expecting too much of a change.
I am trying not to be obvious, but I am, more importantly I am trying to give you a way of seeing it is not some high brow magic, just common sense.
You will only get theory reading books , by doing it yourself you get practical understanding of what is somewhat of a black art…..

I alway drive as fast as I can ( come off a lot ) and make a mental note of what the car is doing.
Example
If it is under steering to the point were I am loosing time, I lower the front ARB if that does not work I put some put some ARB to the rear. Yes I know it is obvious but that is the basic concept, drive, feel the car, make changes.
The more setup options you have the more variables, sometimes it gets a bit overwhelming, and that is when you can easily disappear down a rabbit hole. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I use damper often to control body motion , no I don’t mean going to the toilet, some adjustments are fine some course.
Rear toe, big changes, car dependant.
Front toe, subtle
Dampers, subtle ( usually )
Camber , car dependant, difficult to get this one right, it is a dynamic circuit dependant.
Gearing, subtle or dramatic
Tyre pressures, always optimal
Spings , usually tied in with other settings.
ABR, usually noticeable change, but tied in with other things like dampers , springs and camber.
Diff, either dramatic or subtle
Diff coast, mostly more on the subtle side.
Wings , these can be very difficult to get exactly right.
Change car, everything changes
Change circuit in some cars everything changes.
So where are you at, fast means a slightly unstable car ( you need the talent to get that working for a race ) ( out of my pay grade )
Safe, you will have to give up lap time, but complete the race.
I always try for safe, to old for the former.
So for me I am always trying to get rid of race problems, sudden over steer, ( although recently I have got around that problem, mostly )
terminal understeer ( prefer that ) .
All very obvious , so I apologise for that.
The next level is out of my ability , and to be pessimistic probably most peoples ability , because by then you are working with talented drivers, or you are a talented driver, so it will always looks like your setups are top notch.
Hope it helps, if not to take any mystery out of it all.
Most assume it is a magic setup, it is invariably the driver , maybe with some help from a setup.
The end.
Not quite ….
If you start to disappear down a rabbit hole, you end up without knowing it , now making adjustment to correct some of your initial errors.:roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea