AI Settings, Just a bit more boring AI info.

Yep, correct.. :thumbsup:

Marvellous things can be done
with the great AIWEditor, (see Speednut357's solutions) to tracks not braking Multiplayer. :D

Anyway the real problem in race is that the leader slows down... in average one second slower of what it could... that's a problem and it slows down the whole bunch
I know they did it to make close races but that's ruining reality
Cars are slowing after some time in the race may be caused by getting aero damage, which then causes them to drive slower. It's a known issue with GTR2, RACE 07, and rF1. The solution is to increase the AeroMin value in the DMG file to a high value (so they don't get aero damage anymore). See here for more info:
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...ying-and-average-in-race.220624/#post-3491664

So the best thing to do to me is changing the AI value between qualy and race (it's easy to do in a championship)... and raising the AI in race by 2 points is good
And the beauty of GTR2 and RACE 07 is you can make this tweak permanently with the QualRatio and RaceRatio values in each track's AIW file – so in your case, you'd want to raise the RaceRatio value by 2 hundredths e.g. from 1.03 to 1.05.

Wow, Hope I will learn to use it

I'll give it sometimes when I'll be free, thank you!
Have fun! And be prepared for lots of trial-and-error before you get results that you are happy with. :)

AIW editor link is here:

FYI I personally found the AIW Editor interface difficult to understand at first. This post by AndreasFSC will help to reduce the confusion and get you started:

Last edited:
And with AIWEditor you're able to change AI racing line? Some circuits are unplayable for that reason... some corners were AI are really bad
Yes, with the RF_AIW_CAM_EDIT_4.05 you can change the racing line and repair some of the problems where the AI crashes or goes off track. Race 07 is nasty with off-camber corners and Road Atlanta 2016 was an excellent example of this. By changing the line and adjusting the track grip, we made the track playable. If you have some tracks you want to repair, I encourage you to give it a shot, and feel free to ask questions. We love helping.

I then add or change the following lines.

slowwhenpushed=0.10 - Reduces the amount of brake the AI applies when another car hits them

AIBrakingStiffness=(0.9600,0.9600,0.8600) - I think you already know this one

And please feel free to ask questions, It can be not very clear, and we don't mind helping out.
I've tweaked most of the settings in AIW but haven't touched AIBrakingStiffness=(1.0000,1.0000,0.9000). How does this value affect the AI, and which adjustment + / - value causes which response?

I've not seen Slowwhenpushed before, which i'll add to three of my tracks where there's often bunching at turn one. Also How does that value +/- alter the AI ?

Thanks.

Presumably Slowwhenpushed drops into the AIW somewhere between GarageDepth and AI Range? to Keep it neat and tidy.

I've tweaked most of the settings in AIW but haven't touched AIBrakingStiffness=(1.0000,1.0000,0.9000). How does this value affect the AI, and which adjustment + / - value causes which response?
A comment from GTR 2 AIW files says the AIBrakingStiffness values mean:
(Rear, 4WD, Front), lowering values will increase AI brake points and reduce collisions

I've not seen Slowwhenpushed before, which i'll add to three of my tracks where there's often bunching at turn one. Also How does that value +/- alter the AI ?
A higher slowwhenpushed means the AI will check up more when the car behind is close (which is non-sensical, but it seems to be what it does). So you want it to be a low value.

Presumably Slowwhenpushed drops into the AIW somewhere between GarageDepth and AI Range? to Keep it neat and tidy.
Can add it wherever you like! Up to you. :)

To check the meaning of the various parameters in the future, this page will be useful:

I created that whole site so I wouldn't have to constantly remember or search forum threads when I inevitably forgot!

Last edited:
Has anyone found a way in AIW to ensure that backmarker AI cars don't impede lead cars?

I've had races where four cars are battling at the front when a backmarker exits the pits, impeding two of the lead cars, who do not seem able to pass, effectively ruining the race.

Is there a setting to ensure backmarkers stay out the way?

Has anyone found a way in AIW to ensure that backmarker AI cars don't impede lead cars?

I've had races where four cars are battling at the front when a backmarker exits the pits, impeding two of the lead cars, who do not seem able to pass, effectively ruining the race.

Is there a setting to ensure backmarkers stay out the way?
No, there is no setting you can change to enable this. The only solution would be to alter the AI pit exit line to stay away from the main racing line until those exiting the pits are up to speed... which is often impossible.

This sort of issue was simply never accounted for in isiMotor2's AI code. Fundamentally, it's a similar issue to the multiclass bug, where lead cars will slam on the brakes, hesitate, or get otherwise confused when approaching slower class cars, even in a straight line.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks

It's not the pitlane exit that's the issue, as i do merge the lanes in the manner you've suggested. It's when the lead cars encounter a back marker that's recently exited the pits, and is up to racing speed lapping ahead of them at a similar speed to the lead cars.

As you say, they hesitate and get confused.

I guess there's nothing can be done. Fortunately it's not a frequent problem.

I created that whole site so I wouldn't have to constantly remember or search forum threads when I inevitably forgot!
Reading through the site you created, i was interested in wp_cheat.

I have a couple of tracks where AI are a touch too slow on specific corners. I tried smoothing out the racing line or removing wp to encourage them to corner quicker, but it seems this can be done on specific wp via the wp_cheat.

I noticed that wp_cheat value= (-1,0) is default. Presumably to increase the speed through the corner the wp_cheat value would need to be increased, so from -1.0 to a higher value, perhaps -0.5
??

But from experience, even the smallest of adjustments can make dramatic changes to AI performance. Depending on what value you are changing, such as drag, brake stiffness, or race/quali ratio, a value adjustment as incremental as from 0.9 to 0.899 can result in AI lapping two seconds a lap faster.

So have you tried adjusting any wp_cheat and if so, would you recommend any particular value to achieve:
a) minor cornering speed increase
b) medium cornering speed increase
c) major corning speed increase

Great info on the AIW file site, and Many thanks for the help.

Reading through the site you created, i was interested in wp_cheat.

I have a couple of tracks where AI are a touch too slow on specific corners. I tried smoothing out the racing line or removing wp to encourage them to corner quicker, but it seems this can be done on specific wp via the wp_cheat.

I noticed that wp_cheat value= (-1,0) is default. Presumably to increase the speed through the corner the wp_cheat value would need to be increased, so from -1.0 to a higher value, perhaps -0.5
??

But from experience, even the smallest of adjustments can make dramatic changes to AI performance. Depending on what value you are changing, such as drag, brake stiffness, or race/quali ratio, a value adjustment as incremental as from 0.9 to 0.899 can result in AI lapping two seconds a lap faster.

So have you tried adjusting any wp_cheat and if so, would you recommend any particular value to achieve:
a) minor cornering speed increase
b) medium cornering speed increase
c) major corning speed increase

Great info on the AIW file site, and Many thanks for the help.
I've actually never directly adjusted wp_cheat - partially because that parameter is inactive in AMS 1, which is where I've done much of my tweaking. I would assume higher values mean faster speed, but I can't say for certain based on experience.

If I remember correctly, @Speednut357 has more experience tweaking that parameter. Perhaps he could provide a more complete answer based on personal experience.

I've actually never directly adjusted wp_cheat - partially because that parameter is inactive in AMS 1, which is where I've done much of my tweaking. I would assume higher values mean faster speed, but I can't say for certain based on experience.

If I remember correctly, @Speednut357 has more experience tweaking that parameter. Perhaps he could provide a more complete answer based on personal experience.
To change the AI speed at a specific point on the track, adjusting a single value often results in an unnatural and artificial appearance. To achieve a more realistic effect, it's essential to adjust multiple values on either side of the point in question and ensure a smooth transition.

However, an easier and more efficient method is to utilize the automatic AI path curve feature in the Guitarman AIW editor. By adjusting the track boundaries first and then the path, the editor automatically calculates a more natural AI speed. It's important to note that the track boundary should not be considered just the edge of the track. Instead, it should be viewed as an extension of the AI path, influencing AI speed and leading to better AI behavior.

The no-cut line is the boundary of the track and this too needs to allow for the normal rule of having two wheels off the track.

Based on my observations, it seems that the width of the track (Track boundary lines) is linked to the aggression level of the Ai. I haven't conducted enough tests to confirm this, but it appears that low aggression leads to the Ai needing more space before attempting an overtake. Therefore, a narrow track boundary may prevent the Ai from attempting an overtake, as these two settings are closely connected.

To change the AI speed at a specific point on the track, adjusting a single value often results in an unnatural and artificial appearance. To achieve a more realistic effect, it's essential to adjust multiple values on either side of the point in question and ensure a smooth transition.

However, an easier and more efficient method is to utilize the automatic AI path curve feature in the Guitarman AIW editor. By adjusting the track boundaries first and then the path, the editor automatically calculates a more natural AI speed. It's important to note that the track boundary should not be considered just the edge of the track. Instead, it should be viewed as an extension of the AI path, influencing AI speed and leading to better AI behavior.

The no-cut line is the boundary of the track and this too needs to allow for the normal rule of having two wheels off the track.

Based on my observations, it seems that the width of the track (Track boundary lines) is linked to the aggression level of the Ai. I haven't conducted enough tests to confirm this, but it appears that low aggression leads to the Ai needing more space before attempting an overtake. Therefore, a narrow track boundary may prevent the Ai from attempting an overtake, as these two settings are closely connected.
Yes higher ai aggression = ai car driving closer to other cars, (and more likely to hit them).

However, an easier and more efficient method is to utilize the automatic AI path curve feature in the Guitarman AIW editor.
Thanks for that.
I understand what you mean by the the gradual smoother transition for wp_cheats. That makes sense.
I've used the Guitarman AIW editor to solve other AIW issues so i'll give that a try first before the WP cheats.
Thanks

I created a fictional street circuit I've called Docklands. Obviously because of the nature of the tight streets and several 90 degree corners, getting AI to navigate without exceeding track limits into walls, or bunching, causing pile ups etc was a really difficult thing to achieve. Made more difficult by my wish to have close racing with a minimal AI range.

Adding in SLOWWHENPUSHED has made a huge difference.

Running these values for this specific track has enabled the desired effect.

WorstTime=(0.90000)
MidTime=(0.95000)
BestTime=(1.05000)
WorstAdjust=(0.99000)
MidAdjust=(1.0000)
BestAdjust=(1.1000)
QualRatio=(1.45) // Used to adjust AI speed in qual compared to base values
RaceRatio=(1.38) // Used to adjust AI speed in race compared to base values
CheatDelta=(0.0000,0.0000,0.0000)
AIRange=(0.1000)
Slowwhenpushed=0.1

As you can see from the screenshots, the grid of 50 cars is very close. The pole time of 1:38:0 remained P1, and my time of 1:39:2 ended up with me 21st on the grid, only 2.5 seconds covering all 50 cars.

20 laps of racing remained close, around lap 12 lead cars began to encounter back markers, only in the final 5 laps did the gaps start to spread out. I finished 3rd, 9 seconds behind P2 and 7 seconds ahead of P4. Just 9 out of 50 starters were DNF, and 35 cars were all on the lead lap.

Crucially. There were no pile ups at turn 1 or turn 2 which are tight 90 degree turns. As you can see the AI are bunched going into turn 1, and having added SLOWWHENPUSHED this was the first time there was no pile up.

I did three test races and all three worked without a pile up.

There was a few yellow flags, and a couple of AI buried it into the wall, hence the 9 DNF. But overall SLOWWHENPUSHED has massively improved the track racing realism.

Footnote: I've never been a fan of street circuits. I genuinely didn't like this track when I first built it. But it did grow on me, the more i learnt the track, the racing line, braking points, and where it's possible to overtake, it's actually become a solid track to race on, and 100% concentration required to keep it out the wall. despite it being a street track with some tight corners it's actually highspeed with several long straights.

Attachments

• Docklands Sreens 2b.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 2b.jpg
    453.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Docklands Sreens 3a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 3a.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 37
  • Docklands Sreens 4a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 4a.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Docklands Sreens 5a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 5a.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Docklands Sreens 6b.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 6b.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Docklands Sreens 9a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 9a.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Docklands Sreens 12a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 12a.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 26
  • Docklands Sreens 15.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 15.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Docklands Sreens 16B.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 16B.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Docklands Sreens 19a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 19a.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 31
Qualifying: The first 21 cars covered by 1.5 seconds, with just 2.5 covering the entire grid.

Attachments

• Docklands Sreens 21a.jpg
    Docklands Sreens 21a.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 28
This all sounds great! Glad slowwhenpushed made the difference for you!

The one thing I noticed is that WorstAdjust, MidAdjust, and BestAdjust seem very close in value. Here's a reminder of what these parameters control:
  • WorstAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 80% AI strength in the UI
  • MidAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 100% AI strength in the UI
  • BestAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 120% AI strength in the UI
For those of us with less skills and need to race with a lower AI percentage :roflmao: a lower WorstAdjust might be helpful. ;)

This all sounds great! Glad slowwhenpushed made the difference for you!

The one thing I noticed is that WorstAdjust, MidAdjust, and BestAdjust seem very close in value. Here's a reminder of what these parameters control:
  • WorstAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 80% AI strength in the UI
  • MidAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 100% AI strength in the UI
  • BestAdjust controls the AI's speed at each waypoint when the player selects 120% AI strength in the UI
For those of us with less skills and need to race with a lower AI percentage :roflmao: a lower WorstAdjust might be helpful. ;)
OK, good point.

I race these tracks at 120% with the AI on high aggression, so it's the BestAdjust that I'm personally more interested in. Having settled on 1.1 I just set the other two a touch lower. Hadn't thought about that too much tbh.

By all means recommend some values for Mid and Worst I'm happy to edit them into all the tracks.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back