AI Settings, Just a bit more boring AI info.

Hey guys, I think that for me the biggest AI problem is the difference in laptimes beyween quali and race, I always race with the base setup so that I don't have any advantage over them but when I qualify 10th I can still win the race. Have you got any ideas about what would be a better ratio to use in the track files?
Good spot! Yep, it's well known that's a big issue. So much so Shovas devoted a boatload of time to tweaking every track's RaceRatio value in the AIW files for default content GTR2 tracks to fix exactly this problem. See this mod (and read its README for LOTS more information)

It would be feasible to do this for RACE 07 as well, but first you need to choose your preferred values for all those parameters Speednut was discussing in the PLR, RCD, HDC etc files. Because your tweaked RaceRatio value for one set of other parameters might yield different quali vs race performance than with another parameter set.

Optimizing RaceRatio values is definitely something that should be done! Would be a fantastic mod. But first job needs to be to get the general AI racing behaviour as good as possible using parameter tweaks in those other files.

On another note...

@Speednut357, I was looking at default content tracks for Automobilista 1 (whose AIW files are not encrypted!) and saw some interesting values I thought you might be interested in knowing:

AIBrakingStiffness=(1.0000,1.0000,0.9000)
slowwhenpushed=0.35
AIRange=(0.1000)
AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,1.0000,0.0000)
AIDraftStickiness=(3.0000)

AIBrakingStiffness varies a little from track to track sometimes, but the others I believe are entirely the same from track to track. One thing to keep in mind is that Reiza made source code changes to the ISI engine to improve AI, so some of these values may work with their code but not whatever's going inside RACE 07. Thought it was worth sharing regardless, though.

Thanks, MJQT. Every piece of info about good and bad AI coming, is highly appreciated. Too bad for us, that the Devs didn't take their time to do things properly. Not even giving us some tools to do it, is a bit sad. Modding should be.. easy.
I just found the track, 2009 Road Atlanta ALMS for GTR 2. Checking some very interesting stuff..

@ ercerro, check your AI setting before Race. I believe, max is 120 %.
Try that, and please report back to everyone, here.

Any way to stop AI to pile up three times on fist lap? No matter the car type or the track, they usually crash in the first lap. AI difficulty is 95, and in the plr file i lowered max braking for the AI.

Plr file... Speednut357 and me have been done that in another way. ;)

Please read about it in some older Threads. According to vonDutch's AI Guide it may brake MP. :)
By all means sectorao, keep on experimenting... :thumbsup:

I dropped those brake values for AI to 0.95 and bumped that radius one to 6 from 0.1, they are better now.

Offtopic, is there a way to make draw distance bigger so there is no pop in of distant lands?

Offtopic, is there a way to make draw distance bigger so there is no pop in of distant lands?
I think this must be done per track.
Not sure, about this one, though.. :)
Finding the LOD (Level Of Distance) settings.. Me too, wants to know.. :D

Last edited:
Hello. You can set the track draw distance to very far in the game. It's in the environment settings.
Or change it in the PLR file look for this setting under the graphic's heading.
Track Draw Distance="3" // 0 = near, 1 = normal, 2 = far, 3 = very far

As for the AI having pileups, there can be several reasons for this. Lowering the brake values can help, as you have found. I have found that adding a couple of extra lines into the track AIW file helps.
Find and open the track AIW file with notepad, scroll down until you find the heading [Waypoint]

I then add or change the following lines.

slowwhenpushed=0.10 - Reduces the amount of brake the AI applies when another car hits them
AIDraftStickiness=(0.96) - Keeps the AI more in line with each other, less swerving all over the place.
AIBrakingStiffness=(0.9600,0.9600,0.8600) - I think you already know this one
AIRange=(1.0000) - the difference between fast and slow AI, One is the max value.

All these settings depend greatly on you and what you expect from the AI. What I think is a great setting may seem unrealistic for you. So try the settings out, see what you find good, and let us know how you go. We love this ****!

And please feel free to ask questions, It can be not very clear, and we don't mind helping out.

My AI driver is driving my car faster than myself when he is alone.
I mean he drives "perfect".

Cannot be faster except for te wrong AIW line. But with others is a different story.

I have make him pass like 3+ cars on first lap but.. is not clean driving. There is a lot of contact, althogh sometimes those manuvers really suprised me a lot. They are really enjoyable. But still too much contact and out of track driving (AIW).
BTW is a GT3 aston martin close matching real life record laptimes. And just with good driving it is 4-5 secs faster than the rest of his mates (wich are faster on straightline and acceleration). All the same tires, but they dont my chassis.

So as I reduce contact (I have prety much solve the AI algorythm) they lost risk taking.
Now Im at the point were my "talent driver" have close to 0 contact and very close "door to door" driving at the same time.
But he still have like "fear" of using all the potential it has. But if I make him lost that fear he starts to hit them like hard. And I want my driver to be able to pass even "slow cars and idi0t drivers" without any doubt and clean.

And I have mess with all the possible values. And Iknow what they do in the talent file. But still he has a big delay to recover after a failed attempt to pass. But immediatly he starts driving incredible fast again. And he ends up taking taking 3 to 5 laps what I could be done in 1.
So I dont know.

Last edited:
My AI driver is driving my car faster than myself when he is alone.
I mean he drives "perfect".

Cannot be faster except for te wrong AIW line. But with others is a different story.

I have make him pass like 3+ cars on first lap but.. is not clean driving. There is a lot of contact, althogh sometimes those manuvers really suprised me a lot. They are really enjoyable. But still too much contact and out of track driving (AIW).
BTW is a GT3 aston martin close matching real life record laptimes. And just with good driving it is 4-5 secs faster than the rest of his mates (wich are faster on straightline and acceleration). All the same tires, but they dont my chassis.

So as I reduce contact (I have prety much solve the AI algorythm) they lost risk taking.
Now Im at the point were my "talent driver" have close to 0 contact and very close "door to door" driving at the same time.
But he still have like "fear" of using all the potential it has. But if I make him lost that fear he starts to hit them like hard. And I want my driver to be able to pass even "slow cars and idi0t drivers" without any doubt and clean.

And I have mess with all the possible values. And Iknow what they do in the talent file. But still he has a big delay to recover after a failed attempt to pass. But immediatly he starts driving incredible fast again. And he ends up taking taking 3 to 5 laps what I could be done in 1.
So I dont know.
It sounds a bit like what Shovas was playing around with recently. He found that adjusting the Composure value in the Talent file changed some of the behavior I think you describe. Also, I am unsure if switching to ai driver for your car loads the talent file. I usually test by letting the race run while I sit in the pits or drive slowly at the back of the field. Then run the race replay and switch view to one of the AI cars. In this way, I am sure the Talent file and AIW values are all active on the car I am watching.
Here is a link to Shovas's recent findings. It Might be an interesting read for you.

Last edited:
Well I do know how to do that for sure. There is an option on the menu did you try it?
But there is actually 2 options on the PLR file that manage this.
Could you please explain how do you make the AI driver use the car's usual talent file in the PLR file? I ask, because in rFactor 1 and 2, if you toggle AI control, it does not load the talent file and does not obey the AI Strength % you set – it just drives at 100% strength regardless. Sounds like GTR2 and RACE 07 are different, but I'm curious how.
Now what AIRange=() does?
From Speednut's post above: the difference between fast and slow AI, One is the max value.

Last edited:
At least in GTR2: Starting Driver="1" / AI Controls Driver #2="0"

Look, about the AI Strength % (AI Driver Strength?), in the PLR defaults is 100%, so to test I change - AI Power Calibration="2" and it improves the downshifting.

I use Imola2004 to test. Do you now who can provide me a proper AIW file?

At least in GTR2: Starting Driver="1" / AI Controls Driver #2="0"
Thanks for the information!
Look, about the AI Strength % (AI Driver Strength?), in the PLR defaults is 100%, so to test I change - AI Power Calibration="2" and it improves the downshifting.
Interesting. Didn't know that.
I use Imola2004 to test. Do you now who can provide me a proper AIW file?
I don't think anyone can provide you with a "proper" file. These parameter changes are still subjective and experimental, so you need to tweak the parameters mentioned by Speednut above yourself and see what you find. A good starting point, though, would be to use the AIW for Imola provided by Shovas in his mod, then tweak from there.

Last edited:
Beautiful thread! I'm sorry I find it a bit too late...

Anyway the real problem in race is that the leader slows down... in average one second slower of what it could... that's a problem and it slows down the whole bunch
I know they did it to make close races but that's ruining reality

So the best thing to do to me is changing the AI value between qualy and race (it's easy to do in a championship)... and raising the AI in race by 2 points is good

Obviously is not a perfect thing but if you need a real challenge to win the races that's it.

And the other thing is "being honest" at the start... if AI brakes for no reason, break you too.

Yes. Thankful for any help with
this :thumbsup:
Please post some numbers
You changed so we can give you some feedback. :D

[ 1st Lap, take it easy, do not fall
back too much..]

Last edited:
I tried changing a lot of things in Plr file years ago but honesty nothing made a remarkable difference to me... so I just accepted it

Anyway I'm sure I'll try the numbers I've seen in first post in the future and let you know.

Last edited:
I tried changing a lot of things in Plr file years ago but honesty nothing made a remarkable difference to me... so I just accepted it

Anyway I'm sure I'll try the numbers I've seen in first post in the future and let you know.
Ok, get RoadAtlanta2016.
> Try it out,first. :thumbsup:
Me and Speednut357™ tweaking with AIWEditor, in collaboration, did some spectacular things to AI. (not released, yet). :D
Pls, Search that Thread.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back