Adjusted FoV down from default 54 to 25 using calculator and now I can't see corners right

Hey everyone,

I've read and heard how a more realistic FoV can help you make drive better so tonight, I finally looked into it properly, measured the distance from my eyes to my single 24" monitor (26 inches) and bam, the calculator told me 25.4

So I went into my view settings and adjusted it from the default 54° to 25° and ran some laps. As you can imagine, everything is zoomed up now and while I can see the benefits of everything seemingly moving slower, making it easier to be consistent with braking points, cornering is just so much harder now with such a narrow field of view.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a little while and see how it works out but is there any way of making life easier? Thanks

I also tried, but at the end I can not really see the mirror. So I stuck until now like that.

I agree , I could not race without the wheel and hands just for a question of fov. I need some view of the cockpit for the fun of the game

i generally just look at it as a whole, which means i quite often do not get my apexes correct.
That might be a big factor actually. I basically always focus a lot on one spot.
Lower fov means I'm seeing that spot later and it moves quicker across the screen.

I happen to totally dislike 3D cinema movies for the same reason. I focus one spot, always, and when the camera focuses a different spot (best example are 2 persons having a dialogue and the camera always focuses on the speaking person. So every few seconds my focus spot gets totally blurry and my eyes need to find the new focus spot).
I asked a bunch of friends who like 3D movies and they all said they'd just relaxing their eyes, looking at the whole image as a whole.

I guess that's also why I can't use very high FOVs. In Rocket League basically everyone uses a FOV that would equal something around 70-80 in Assetto Corsa.
But when you focus on an object that's at the edge of the monitor it will move at high speed until it reaches the center, then move extremely slow.

Anyway, I think I talked enough about myself :roflmao::roflmao:
You hit the nail there Ernie! :thumbsup:

btw I tried an Oculus Rift once in pcars 1 around the Nordschleife in a GT3 at a colleague and it was totally fine. I mean I got a bit dizzy since it's the Nordschleife, lol, but the fov and motion etc was fine and not an issue.

I'll chime in. 24" monitor on a extendable arm, I pull my wheelstand up to the desk and pull the arm out.
For about 2 years I used correct FOV after learning about it from EmptyBox, which was 33vFOV and 55hFOV.

I raced fine on SRS and everything else for ages but I noticed especially when learning new tracks (new for me lol) like Paul Ricard or Sepang I was struggling a lot with seeing all the blind apexes on the long sweeping corners.

When Project Cars 2 released I forgot to set the FOV for a while, disabled the hands and wheel and just did a lot of races. I realised a few weeks later that the FOV was actually set to 70hFOV (43vFOV) and I was doing completely fine. So I just went ahead and switched all my sims and games to that value and I've been pretty happy with it ever since.

Correct FOV is fantastic if you have a big screen or triples, but on a single monitor it was just too limiting. I enjoyed having the extra depth and size that comes with it, you feel almost 1:1 with the car, but you get used to having it slightly higher. As someone else said in the thread once you get in a certain FOV range the distortion disappears and you can race competently within that range imo, for single small screens it's somewhere around 40-47 vFOV (66h-76h FOV) which to be honest, is pretty similar to your in focus vision IRL. I think once you go above 47v/76h you start to get the fisheye effect and anything below about 35v/59h starts to become like horse blinders on a small single screen.

As I'm feeling since a few days that TrackIR might have side effects on my driving .... I came back from cockpit view with a FOV at 32 to the Dashcam view ( which I find very good on AC and ACC too ) to a varying FOV between 45 and 55 according to the driven car .... as this view surely was done with such a FOV at the start..... car, track and view seem more balanced than before.

I'm feeling more at ease only due to this balanced image .... as it's not easy to find the same with a lower FOV and cockpit view .... the worst being those too huge dashboard instruments compared to the car and track view with a lower FOV.
( strange but the cars seem to react better and feel less under- and over-steering. )

Realism and driving comfort don't always fit together.
EDIT: anyway on single screen.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a little while and see how it works out but is there any way of making life easier? Thanks
The solution to make your life easier is simple, 2 letters, VR.
Chasing the FOV is always at best a compromise and you always end up still watching a game on a screen.
In VR, you are in the car, on the track and the scale is 1/1. Resistance is futile.:D

The solution to make your life easier is simple, 2 letters, VR.
Chasing the FOV is always at best a compromise and you always end up still watching a game on a screen.
In VR, you are in the car, on the track and the scale is 1/1. Resistance is futile.:D
Totally agree that it makes the FOV decision easier. Life easier.. mh...
ACC fatal crashes, rF2 blackscreens, AMS not having it.
You won't believe how often I heard or read on the forums when doing clubraces on here, that someone couldn't complete the race because of VR issues :(

Totally agree that it makes the FOV decision easier. Life easier.. mh...
ACC fatal crashes, rF2 blackscreens, AMS not having it.
You won't believe how often I heard or read on the forums when doing clubraces on here, that someone couldn't complete the race because of VR issues :(
So true! VR is amazing and I want it, but... not yet. The high cost isn't the #1 reason any more.

As for FOV - I'm on the "blinkers? no thanks!" team. Give me an FOV where I can actually see the corners any day (not to mention the competition!). My 24" screen is just beyond arm's length (thus a good bit more than 24" away) and a realistic FOV is a total non-starter for me.

So true! VR is amazing and I want it, but... not yet. The high cost isn't the #1 reason any more.

As for FOV - I'm on the "blinkers? no thanks!" team. Give me an FOV where I can actually see the corners any day (not to mention the competition!). My 24" screen is just beyond arm's length (thus a good bit more than 24" away) and a realistic FOV is a total non-starter for me.
I remember you using the hood cam. Tried that, I was freaking flyyyyyyying :roflmao:

Imo the FOV has to be set by feeling. We talk about an interface to an artificial world. Every person differently manage this border. So a calculated FOV is just a try to do a 1:1 2d projection of the real world, this is just theoretical good.
So the best way to find a personal FOV value is to drive and change it the way, where the braking points are right out of intuition.
Then the interface is working right for a racing Sim...

Only 1:1 FOV is driveable for me. I am sitting 35 inches away from a 43" 120hz TV with FOV at 33°
Could never go back to fisheye FOV. Even 40 or 50 feels like on drugs if you are used to the real FOV.

All objects have the real size. All distances feel realisic. It just feels right and intuitive.

Only 1:1 FOV is driveable for me. I am sitting 35 inches away from a 43" 120hz TV with FOV at 33°
Could never go back to fisheye FOV. Even 40 or 50 feels like on drugs if you are used to the real FOV.

All objects have the real size. All distances feel realisic. It just feels right and intuitive.
Like I said, it's all about feeling and compensating different visual interfaces...

Helicorsa has changed the rules.
It became possible to race without side mirrors, allowing us to reduce the fov.
Like some others, i like to see some part of the cockpit too, even if the fov have to be a little higher

I always learned to max your fov in IRacing when using triples which is 179 degrees. I use a single screen but I can get my 27 inch measured out to a 60 degree fov which would max out the fov if I had 3 monitors. This is horizontal fov of course.

My vertical fov works out to 36 then. But something always seems off for me at 36. But I found that these vfov games are maxing out at 120 degrees. If you look at the Raceroom cat files, you will see in the triple screen camera files that default fov is 40. Assetto Corsa fov maxes out at 120 which comes out to 40 on a single screen.

So my compromise is setting the fov to 40 in vfov games and moving the seat as I see fit. This gives me a nice cockpit view and leaves it at the way developers intended for “default” triple creek setups. I set two buttons to look left and right and then drive. This feels about right when compared to driving with the 60 fov in IRacing to me. Car feels balanced.

Greeting!
My 27" monitor died a few weeks ago and because of Christmas and spending a bunch of money upgrading PC, I didn't have cash to run out and buy a new one just yet. I decided to use an extra HD TV for now. States 48" but actual width is 42". I had my FOV set on all sims and hadn't changed it in years.
Now I had to start over. iRacing has a built in FOV calculator so I used it for initial setup based on width, distance etc. I ended up with a calculation of 59 for FOV.
Looked great in iRacing, so went to other sims. All looked great; only required some seat adjustments.
When I got to AC it was way off. Did not look right. I played around with it and ended up at FOV 69! That was several weeks ago.
I was told elsewhere that AC cars have a different XYZ axis than other sims and that is why.
Is this true? It's over my head...
Cheers!

EDIT: Not going to change what I said because there are responses, but I corrected what I posted here below.

Last edited:
Greeting!
My 27" monitor died a few weeks ago and because of Christmas and spending a bunch of money upgrading PC, I didn't have cash to run out and buy a new one just yet. I decided to use an extra HD TV for now. States 48" but actual width is 42". I had my FOV set on all sims and hadn't changed it in years.
Now I had to start over. iRacing has a built in FOV calculator so I used it for initial setup based on width, distance etc. I ended up with a calculation of 59 for FOV.
Looked great in iRacing, so went to other sims. All looked great; only required some seat adjustments.
When I got to AC it was way off. Did not look right. I played around with it and ended up at FOV 69! That was several weeks ago.
I was told elsewhere that AC cars have a different XYZ axis than other sims and that is why.
Cheers!
Yes. AC uses vertical degrees. You can use this

this

or this

to calculate your FOV

Greeting!
Cheers!
No idea what's causing this. I use the same fov for ac, acc, ams and rF2 and they all look identical.
Maybe you need some more seat adjustments in AC?
Did you use the same car?
If you need a higher fov I'd suggest to make a photo with your phone or a screenshot, then put the fov to 59 and then move the seat back in AC until you see the same borders in the cockpit.
Maybe the seat of the car you used in AC is particularly close to the windscreen.
Yes. AC uses vertical degrees. You can use this

this

or this

to calculate your FOV
Great links! Sadly it doesn't make much sense in this case as going from 59 in iracing would equal to either 35 if iracing is horizontal or to about 90, if Assetto would be horizontal.

Meaning both are vertical degrees and should be the same value.
My guess is that the seat adjustments are differently. Going forward and backwards can easily be a bigger difference than 10° fov.

@RasmasP
You are right. Not sure why I put 69. I just looked and AC is at 39 not 69??? Sorry!:redface:
To avoid further embarrassment and confusion, I checked the numbers.
Here is calculation from MODERN FOV and below what I have in game.
  • Project CARS 1 & 2: 57°
  • Richard Burns Rally: 1.000981rad
  • F1 2016/2017/+: -0.50
  • rFactor 1 & 2, GSC, GSCE, SCE, AMS: 34°
  • Assetto Corsa: 34.2°
  • GRID Autosport, DiRT Rally: 68°
  • RaceRoom Racing Experience: 0.6x
  • GTR2: 0.6x
  • Race07: 0.6x
My settings were:
AC 39
iRacing 55
rF2 49
AMS 49

AC does look better at 34. I moved rF2 to 34 and now they all look the same. Used same car; Porsche 911 GT3 cup and LilSki's Watkins Glen track from s/f line. I compared with screen shots. Obviously not comparing with iRacing.

Really sorry for the confusion...
Sincere thanks for the help!!
Cheers!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back