Adjusted FoV down from default 54 to 25 using calculator and now I can't see corners right

Hey everyone,

I've read and heard how a more realistic FoV can help you make drive better so tonight, I finally looked into it properly, measured the distance from my eyes to my single 24" monitor (26 inches) and bam, the calculator told me 25.4

So I went into my view settings and adjusted it from the default 54° to 25° and ran some laps. As you can imagine, everything is zoomed up now and while I can see the benefits of everything seemingly moving slower, making it easier to be consistent with braking points, cornering is just so much harder now with such a narrow field of view.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a little while and see how it works out but is there any way of making life easier? Thanks

FYI regarding the HD TV.
If you use one, more than likely is does not support V-SYNC. Make sure that it is off in all your games and your GPU software (if you use them). Most games apparently it doesn't matter, but in PC2 and F1 2019 it would lock screen. It didn't seem to effect iRacing, rF2, ACC, or AC, etc.
Cheers!

What does "does not support vsync" mean exactly? And what does "it would lock screen" mean?

There's no such thing as "does not support vsync". That's completely on the GPU side, display has nothing to do with vsync. Unless you're talking about Freesync/Gsync, but in that case, you really should use the proper terms, because they mean different things.

I'm only using terms from the manufacturer and Project Cars 2. You would have to question them. I have no idea what it means and don't pretend to.
1578609684917.png

Last edited:
Yes, I know that games have a setting for vsync. Thank you for pointing that out, even though I would kinda assume everyone is aware of that.

But you still haven't answered my question(s). What do you mean by your claim that a TV "most likely does not support vsync"?

I did. :) I said I don't know exactly what it means but the TV is a Sony and they said a TV normally does not support "syncing" with a computer. Sorry. Don't mean to be evasive, but again, I don't know the answer. I just looked at monitors on Amazon.com and some say they support v-sync and others do not.
What I do know, as I originally said, is that turning it off fixed my screen freezing. From what I understand is that it has to have the ability to sync frame rate with refresh rate.???
Cheers!
EDIT: I hope that solved my screen freezing issue!

Last edited:
I found this: https://www.gamesradar.com/vsync-gsync-freesync-explained/

What is Vsync?
Vsync, or vertical synchronization, was designed primarily to address one central issue in display technology - screen tearing. Screen tearing, illustrated in the example image above, is a kind of visual artifact that makes it appear as though an image is divided across a horizontal line, or tear. Tearing is most commonly the result of a mismatch between the frames your hardware is outputting and refresh rate of your display; if your gaming PC is sending the display 100 frames per second, and your monitor or TV only has a 60hz refresh rate (the equivalent of 60 FPS), tearing occurs as the graphics card sends a new frame while the current frame is being displayed.
Vsync attempts to reduce or eliminate tearing by forcing your graphics hardware to match (or sync) with the refresh rate of your display. When frames are rendered and displayed at the same rate, tearing is much less likely, and this solution is a robust way to avoid tearing and other artifacting. Vsync does introduce a few issues of its own, however, as a result of the way it throttles performance.
The first and most obvious issue is that frame rates will be limited to the refresh rate of your display, so while tearing may be significantly reduced you won't reach the performance ceiling of your GPU. Vsync can also introduce input lag which, while generally fairly minor, can become problematic for genres that demand high levels of precision like rhythm or fighting games. It can also cause issues when displaying videos or movies filmed at significantly slower frame rates, creating a juddering effect where people and objects shake or move strangely on screen.

I don't wanna come across as rude or anything :)
It's a bit funny for Martin and other more techy guys like me who know a lot.. And I mean a lot about PCs, vsync, fps and all that stuff.
You really don't need to find explanations or anything hehe.
In fact we know so much, that we don't think that there is an HDTV that doesn't support vsync.
It's a bit like saying your car wouldn't have a throttle pedal.
Every flat screen that is connected to a pc with windows 7/8/10 has vsync active while on the desktop, browsing the web etc.
Now if you'd connect one of these old crt monitors it would be a different thing.

I'd go as far as stating that most of Racedepartment know exactly what vsync is and probably know a bit more about this stuff than you.
Which is totally okay of course! I just don't think that anybody needs anything from your last few posts hehe.

I don't think that we can solve this "misunderstanding" though as your knowledge isn't enough to explain it in a specific enough way for others to figure out what's the situation really is like.
Only possibility would be if you'd do a video for us.
But even that would have to be in high framerate, good quality etc to let us see what the TV really does.

Anyway, it seems that we don't really need to start a long conversation about this as you don't really have any problem without vsync, do you? :)

I am curious about a few things though:
1. How do you connect the TV to your pc? Dvi or hdmi or vga? If via hdmi, it definitely "can do" vsync without any issues.
2. How old is that TV really? I see it's fullHD so it can't be that old...

If you get freezes from vsync there's something wrong. But to find out what's causing this... We would need more specific informations than you can probably give to us.

In general though:
When you enable vsync, the monitor and graphics card will be synced. But this means that if the graphics card can't hold the refresh rate of the monitor, the monitor will have to display the same image a second time to "wait for the graphics card".

This looks like stuttering.

But you mean real freezes like half a second long I guess or maybe even some black screens?
That's definitely a different problem and I have no idea what it might be.
Maybe your hdmi connected is slightly unstable and vsync pushes the connection over the thin edge or something like this.
Or maybe your windows vsync is interfering with the game vsync because you don't play in fullscreen.
(I see the gmotor 2 setup shows "windowed" and Assetto corsa likes to start in windowed for me too, although I always select fullscreen...).

Anyway, doesn't matter much. You are happy with your current setup I guess so just enjoy racing instead of bothering with the reasons behind the vsync problem :)

Hi RasmasP,
Thanks for your kind response !
I hope I didn't come across rude as well. I do appreciate the help. Sometimes it is difficult to express what you mean in post. My post was meant to offer what I was told about a problem that I did not find anywhere and was sharing the solution. NOT advice.
I have a Radeon RX 5700 8GB hooked to a Sony Bravia HDTV 60hz HDMI (Maybe 5 years old??). Sony and AMD said that my TV would not support V-Sync or Freesync/Gsync and to turn it off. That's all I know. Not syncing, according to them why it freezes, locks up. Have to reboot. Not skip or temporarily freeze.
From now own I will keep these things to myself since the are not welcomed.
I do know what v-sync is. I was responding that I didn't know why the TV didn't support it.
I tried to respond to "What does "does not support vsync" mean exactly? And what does "it would lock screen" mean?" ...and There's no such thing as "does not support vsync"... as best I could for clarification I included screen shot & the article for clarification since the questions were posed. Surely didn't mean to offend anyone...goes against my character.
Chees!

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed a bubble view in triple screen?
I have a 60 inch TV and when I move view to one side I can see the dash is bent in and bigger in the middle making the center mirror way too big. Even set to the left side I'm forced to look under this oversized mirror to see straight ahead like the car is crabbing at about a 15 degree angle.
Is there anyway to adjust the bubble view straight?

Has anyone noticed a bubble view in triple screen?
I have a 60 inch TV and when I move view to one side I can see the dash is bent in and bigger in the middle making the center mirror way too big. Even set to the left side I'm forced to look under this oversized mirror to see straight ahead like the car is crabbing at about a 15 degree angle.
Is there anyway to adjust the bubble view straight?
3 - 60 inch TVs? Damn

Ah that’s cool... no not pissed at all. Just wonder why there are so many issues with your setup.
Oh that's fair!!
1) old man
2) first computer
3) building and experimenting new cockpits
I really do appreciate everyone's help!

And honestly, we get along pretty good considering this is a mix of old hot rod guys and young computer wiz's!!

Last edited:
On my 27" triple screens I didn't notice this in any game. Did you switch AC over to triple screen rendering? Else the side monitors might stretch or other weird stuff could be happening.

After switching the rendering option, you have the triple screen app in game (when you're actually in the car) to adjust the correct FOV according to your setup.

On my 27" triple screens I didn't notice this in any game. Did you switch AC over to triple screen rendering? Else the side monitors might stretch or other weird stuff could be happening.

After switching the rendering option, you have the triple screen app in game (when you're actually in the car) to adjust the correct FOV according to your setup.
Yes.
And no matter how much I stretch it either way the dash is still bubbled out when I have the wheel to one side so I can see the whole dash with the mirror in the middle.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back