Adjusted FoV down from default 54 to 25 using calculator and now I can't see corners right

Hey everyone,

I've read and heard how a more realistic FoV can help you make drive better so tonight, I finally looked into it properly, measured the distance from my eyes to my single 24" monitor (26 inches) and bam, the calculator told me 25.4

So I went into my view settings and adjusted it from the default 54° to 25° and ran some laps. As you can imagine, everything is zoomed up now and while I can see the benefits of everything seemingly moving slower, making it easier to be consistent with braking points, cornering is just so much harder now with such a narrow field of view.

I'm going to try to stick it out for a little while and see how it works out but is there any way of making life easier? Thanks

Btw I always move the seat up and forward. The lower the fov the more important it becomes! In the Lamborghini gt3 it's most important for me to do that.
@Leprekaun how does your cockpit view looks like?
Screenshot_2018-02-23-21-09-26.png

I'm going to try to stick it out for a little while and see how it works out but is there any way of making life easier? Thanks

As soon as I saw the title of your post, I knew you had a 24" monitor. The sad truth is 24" monitors are just too damn small for realistic FOV; easiest answer is to upgrade to a larger monitor. Alternatively, you can try getting the monitor closer to your eyes by putting the monitor between your eyeballs and the steering wheel.

As soon as I saw the title of your post, I knew you had a 24" monitor. The sad truth is 24" monitors are just too damn small for realistic FOV; easiest answer is to upgrade to a larger monitor. Alternatively, you can try getting the monitor closer to your eyes by putting the monitor between your eyeballs and the steering wheel.
Even a 27 is not big enough. You'd need a 32 to say the least, assuming you keep the monitor at a normal distance and not 10cm away from your eyes.

Btw I always move the seat up and forward. The lower the fov the more important it becomes! In the Lamborghini gt3 it's most important for me to do that.
@Leprekaun how does your cockpit view looks like?
View attachment 237381
Yes mine looks something like this. I can see my dash but not the driver side mirror. Generally, its not too bad because helicorsa works fine with any FoV so racing is okay although I have thought about not using it because it's not realistic and would like to train my natural awareness better if I somehow manage to do some real racing but again, VR would be better again for a more 1:1 experience

Hahaha :laugh: yes
I tried just for the sake of knowing if I changed my monitor size in the calculator, what FoV I would get and for each inch difference, I'd get +1° of FoV so a jump from 23" to a 27" monitor would only give me 28° FoV instead of 25° so I don't think its worth it. Changing monitor distance is a no go as I'm using a rig and using VESA mounts so it isn't easily adjustable unless I use spacers of some sort for the monitor screw holes but again, we're only talking a few centimetres or a couple of inches which won't change my FoV much.

I really think anything lower than 40° FoV is undriveable. So unless I went for a super huge 40"+ monitor/TV and I checked out of curiosity the prices (€500-€800!) That's simply not within my means. This is another thing which is so tempting about VR which is its much cheaper than one single huge monitor.

Alternatively, of course, there is the triple screen route but due to the age of my monitor, I can't find a single one on the net like mine as it's been discontinued. Yes, I know I could get other models but I'd prefer to have 3 displays of the same model for image consistency. Perhaps selling the one I have and getting 3 of another might be an option but say if each monitor costs €150, that's €450 plus I'd need to get a triple monitor VESA mount which is at least another €100 so total is around €550-€600, costing more than VR but at the same time, its safer than VR and can't put a price on health really.

Tricky decisions but I'll look into it more and see :)

What you also should consider in general:
If you are afraid if eye issues due to VR I think putting a screen less than 75cm away from your face wouldn't be much better as your eyes aren't "built" to look at something that close for hours.
The rift has 100cm distance (lenses) for the eyes.

To helicorsa: well in rF2 you have 180 degree triple mirrors. And for the rest there is crewchief. Not sure if someone talking to you constantly is much more realistic than a radar but I get your thinking.
But: you gain experience about lines, judgement etc with helicorsa the same as without it. You're just more safe :)

I flippin KNEW I shouldn't have sold my Track IR. :rolleyes:

Sorry Denis. :(:D But it does work a treat. Not just in race sims but my flight sims too. And it's brilliant in Elite Dangerous.:thumbsup:
And Bhz is incorrect. It doesn't slow me down at all. It is more natural than no movement. Perfect for ultrawide single screens like mine.

Sorry Denis. :(:D But it does work a treat. Not just in race sims but my flight sims too. And it's brilliant in Elite Dangerous.:thumbsup:
And Bhz is incorrect. It doesn't slow me down at all. It is more natural than no movement. Perfect for ultrawide single screens like mine.
I sold it because I found it made me slower, but not for the reasons stated in this thread. I used to lean in my cockpit, a huge amount, like I was on my bike I guess. I know you're meant to keep your head still, but I couldn't help it. Then I moved my rig. I sited it next to a wall, so as not to have it in the middle of my front room. I think that's cured it. ;)
Anyway, I came across this thread last evening after the MX5 race (where the topic had come up on TS) and remembered that I tried a lower FOV for a while, and found that it made me.... less slow and definitely more consistent. I must've drifted back to a wider FOV, because I really wanna see my wing mirror(s). I only read the 1st few posts here, before I had to jump back on and try a lower FOV value. I played around for a few minutes and came up with 38° ( 27" mon 100cm from my eyes). It instantly felt better to me. I felt much more in control, was able to position the car more accurately and within a few minutes I took 0.4s off my fastest lap from the race. I'm confident I could take more time off, as I'd had 3 beers by this time.
If this is a placebo effect, I'll take it. I'd take Dumbo's magic feather if it won me half a second per lap. :D
Time will tell I guess. I don't really like using virtual mirrors, but I'm gonna give it a go. I have a PS Eye somewhere, so I'll give the head tracking another go (on the cheap), once I've made my mind up on the 38° field of view. I guess this is just another case of individual preference. Don't knock it till you've tried it though (IMO). :thumbsup:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back