Accuforce v2 vs. OSW vs. Fanatec Podium DD1? Which one is the best?

I'm in the U.S. and am trying to decide which wheel to buy. I have demoed an Accuforce v2 and it felt great, but i'm wondering if i'm missing anything with the OSW and the soon-to-be-released Podium. "RON reviewt" on YouTube apparently was able to spend some decent time with the Podium at the Fanatec community event on Aug. 25 (in Germany?) and I asked him directly in the comments what his thoughts were on the Accuforce to the OSW to the Podium since Fanatec had all wheel types setup at this event. He seemed genuinely unbiased, and in his comments he said he felt the Podium was smoother than the Accuforce and that the OSW was just slightly smoother than the Accuforce and suggested I wait until more reviews and comparisons are released. Now, this could be due to the fact that Fanatec did not spend too much time tuning up the Accuforce or OSW thus inducing a feeling that the Podium was "smoother". I'm looking for some community feedback to help me with my purchase as I'm wondering if I can just go ahead now and buy the Accuforce with no regrets. And I don't really want to wait until December to buy a first gen product either. Do we think the Podium is going to be that much better than the Accuforce or OSW?

Thoughts?

Here's how the prices break down. The Accuforce is easily the most economical option. And it get's even cheaper on Black Friday when they offer it for $1050 shipped! (i'm not sure if I can wait another 7 weeks)

Accuforce v2 Complete System with Accuforce wheel and button box paddle shifters- $1200 shipped.

Simucube OSW small Mige wheel base - $1300 shipped, + Fanatec wheel/button box $400 = ~ $1700 shipped to the U.S.

Fanatec Podium DD1 = $1040 + Fanatec wheel with paddle shifters and button box $400 = ~ $1440

I currently have a CSW v2.5 and am looking to upgrade to a DD wheel soon but can’t decide between the DD1/2 or an OSW. I decided I’ll wait until the DD1/2’s get more reviews and seat time with them.

However, my question is I’m going to buy a Sim Lab chassis right now but can’t decide which wheel mount to get. I’d like to go with the front mount but then would be SOL if I decided to go with the Fanatec direct drive. Any suggestions/commments? Also, anyone with a Sim Lab have recommendations for accessories. I’m planning on adding buttshakers eventually but most likely no motion. I race in VR so I was going to get the single monitor mount.

Thanks!
Any other accessories, gear shifter, handbrake etc.?

What about a keyboard tray? If you get one then the smaller one gives the best flexibility for mounting. I got the larger one and mounted it under the wheel but it’s too long to swivel without hitting the side.

Do you need a mouse tray? I have mine integrated into the wireless K400 keyboard which works like a charm.

I’d recommend some extra cable tidy clips.

What pedals are you using?

Seat sliders are useful if you want to adjust it for others or just to make it easier to get in/out and don’t effect the rigidity at all as they are automotive Sparco ones, not like the cheap ones on prebuilt rigs.

I just bought a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo and I’m putting it together now. It was completely worth the 25 day wait from order to delivery. Excellent quality and value. Richard threw in a piece of 40 x 40 so I could mount my monitor like this with a $12 mount from Amazon. https://m.imgur.com/a/7yO9B I too will be racing with a Rift. I have a CSW v2.5 and will be upgrading to a DD1 and it will work perfectly with the Evo wheel deck. However, I did just notice that the holes for the pedals on the pedal plate don’t line up with the Protosimtech PT2 pedals I bought so I am going to have to drill some holes. Not a huge deal though. It’s 5mm thick steel on the wheel deck and pedal plate. Pretty beefy if you ask me. I have a couple of ButtKicker LFE minis I bought I will be attaching to this rig. It’s going to take me some time to finish this as I only have a few hours per day to mess with this. I feel like a kid at Christmas!!
You should drop them a message to say the PT-2 pedals haven’t got pre-drilled holes so they can add them :thumbsup:.

I did that for my Accuforce V2 as they didn’t know the hole pattern was different, fortunately drilling through aluminium was easy.

Upvote 0
One thing that worries me a little is that the holes I will need to drill for my pedals will be about 1/4” away from the slots so I’m worried about the integrity of the 5mm aluminum. I may back it with some 3/4” thick plywood just to be safe.

Upvote 0
Any other accessories, gear shifter, handbrake etc.?

What about a keyboard tray? If you get one then the smaller one gives the best flexibility for mounting. I got the larger one and mounted it under the wheel but it’s too long to swivel without hitting the side.

Do you need a mouse tray? I have mine integrated into the wireless K400 keyboard which works like a charm.

I’d recommend some extra cable tidy clips.

What pedals are you using?

Seat sliders are useful if you want to adjust it for others or just to make it easier to get in/out and don’t effect the rigidity at all as they are automotive Sparco ones, not like the cheap ones on prebuilt rigs.

You should drop them a message to say the PT-2 pedals haven’t got pre-drilled holes so they can add them :thumbsup:.

I did that for my Accuforce V2 as they didn’t know the hole pattern was different, fortunately drilling through aluminium was easy.

I have a Fanatec SQ1.5 shifter, and PT-2 pedals so I might see if they can pre-drill holes before I order. I'd like to add a handbrake eventually but that'll likely come when Dirt Rally 2 gets released next year. I was thinking of buying two of the buttkicker mounts.

The only reason I am tempted to go with the GT1 with the front mount is that it's currently on sale so I would save money there. I currently have a playseat challenge which I love and was pleasantly surprised with but it will definitely be a massive upgrade.

Upvote 0
I think it's a little cleaner mounting wise (but I wouldn't think that much different overall) and maybe a little better for taller drivers that might find their knees a little closer up around the wheel and the wheel deck than they'd like. I'm short (166cm) so I have no problems at all with my regular mount.

LIke I said before I would have been in trouble if i ended up getting the front mount for the v2.5, as while the GT1 was in transit, I ordered an OSW. Main reason I ended up choosing the regular mount was because I knew eventually I'd end up with an OSW, or the DD1 as it ended up being.

Upvote 0
I don’t think you would want those rear holes predrilled by them on the Evo. You can use the front slots but then you will have to drill the rear holes once you get them situated in the personal positions you prefer.

Upvote 0
I have a Fanatec SQ1.5 shifter, and PT-2 pedals so I might see if they can pre-drill holes before I order. I'd like to add a handbrake eventually but that'll likely come when Dirt Rally 2 gets released next year. I was thinking of buying two of the buttkicker mounts.

The only reason I am tempted to go with the GT1 with the front mount is that it's currently on sale so I would save money there. I currently have a playseat challenge which I love and was pleasantly surprised with but it will definitely be a massive upgrade.
Ok, you’ll need a shifter mount too then, I have the original half circl me one which works perfectly on the same shifter but the new slightly cheaper one would work fine too, the former just gives a few more mounting options.

Handbrake wise don’t bother with the handbrake mounting bracket unless you want it mounted on top of the side arm. The Fanatec one can be mounted on the side, the Heusinkveld one already includes a bracket to mount on top so that definitely doesn’t need a handbrake mount.

With regards to pedals ask them what the think the best way to proceed is, if you got the GT1 rig it wouldn’t be an issue as the 3 extrusion distances are adjustable. If you don’t have a heel rest you may want to look into one but it’s possible just to use the extrusion as a heel rest.

Upvote 0
LIke I said before I would have been in trouble if i ended up getting the front mount for the v2.5, as while the GT1 was in transit, I ordered an OSW. Main reason I ended up choosing the regular mount was because I knew eventually I'd end up with an OSW, or the DD1 as it ended up being.

My CSWv2.5 is front-mounted to my Sim Lab P1 and, while Fanatec don't officially endorse this method, it seems to work fine and is solid as a rock. Being 6'1" tall I appreciate the extra knee clearance.

5jSRVyf.jpg

Please don't cable-shame me! Everything is tidy now!

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm reviving this thread because having read through it, it seems a few of you are keen on the DD1, but want to wait for fear of reliability issues. For those guys/gals, are any of you swayed to just pre-order now so as to ensure you get a DD1 that has been upgraded with a DD2 motor?

I know, I know ... despite being the same motor as the DD2, the torque will be electronically limited to peak at 20nm (as opposed to the DD2's 25nm), but that's still a few nm higher than the DD1 will presumably have once they iron out its hardware.

This is my dilemma. Just a couple minutes ago, I *almost* clicked "confirm" on pre-ordering the DD1.

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm reviving this thread because having read through it, it seems a few of you are keen on the DD1, but want to wait for fear of reliability issues. For those guys/gals, are any of you swayed to just pre-order now so as to ensure you get a DD1 that has been upgraded with a DD2 motor?

I know, I know ... despite being the same motor as the DD2, the torque will be electronically limited to peak at 20nm (as opposed to the DD2's 25nm), but that's still a few nm higher than the DD1 will presumably have once they iron out its hardware.

This is my dilemma. Just a couple minutes ago, I *almost* clicked "confirm" on pre-ordering the DD1.
My concern is its all in one , ive been up and down with my decisions ,in the end i ended up ordering a dd for march next year .at a little bit cheaper than the dd2 but a hell of a lot more support and value for $$$$

Upvote 0
Where is it indicated that the first DD1 units will have the same motor as the DD2 but electronically limited and where does it say that will be replaced by a different motor?

In the Fanatec blog. Specifically, look at this post and comment thread ...

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/582/pricing-and-auction-system-of-podium-dd1-explained/p1

Thomas announces it at the 5:00 mark in the video.

And scattered throughout the thread ...

Thomas Jackermeier
July 25
It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.

Dominic Brennan
July 30
Hi Iok, we will only move to a 'DD1 motor' when we are completely confident that it meets our intended specifications. We will make sure that the first batch of DD1 bases and the PRW all use the DD2 motor.

Dominic Brennan
August 21
2. We have communicated that the 'first batches' of the DD1 will contain the DD2 motor. If you pre-order the DD1 at this stage, it will have the DD2 motor. It is possible that all the DD1 pre-orders will have the DD2 motor (and indeed beyond the pre-order stage), but there are some dependencies related to this.

Dominic Brennan
September 6
The recent responses I've made in this thread remain accurate to the current status. The auctions are still planned to go ahead, but I have no further information to offer regarding dates at this time. The DD1 motor status has also not changed. If the motor were to change specification, we would make this clear. Right now, the standard pre-order units, auction units, and Podium Racing Wheel units are all set to launch with the DD2 motor.

Upvote 0
In the Fanatec blog. Specifically, look at this post and comment thread ...

https://www.fanatec.com/forum/discussion/582/pricing-and-auction-system-of-podium-dd1-explained/p1

Thomas announces it at the 5:00 mark in the video.

And scattered throughout the thread ...

Thomas Jackermeier
July 25
It looks like all pre-orders will get the better motor. At least everything until the auctions are finished.

Dominic Brennan
July 30
Hi Iok, we will only move to a 'DD1 motor' when we are completely confident that it meets our intended specifications. We will make sure that the first batch of DD1 bases and the PRW all use the DD2 motor.

Dominic Brennan
August 21
2. We have communicated that the 'first batches' of the DD1 will contain the DD2 motor. If you pre-order the DD1 at this stage, it will have the DD2 motor. It is possible that all the DD1 pre-orders will have the DD2 motor (and indeed beyond the pre-order stage), but there are some dependencies related to this.

Dominic Brennan
September 6
The recent responses I've made in this thread remain accurate to the current status. The auctions are still planned to go ahead, but I have no further information to offer regarding dates at this time. The DD1 motor status has also not changed. If the motor were to change specification, we would make this clear. Right now, the standard pre-order units, auction units, and Podium Racing Wheel units are all set to launch with the DD2 motor.

Thanks for info, will definitely consider pre-order in this situation.

Upvote 0
I’m really on edge now that the Accuforce v2 is on a Black Friday sale for $999, complete with the rim and button box.

I need to continue to stay strong and let some DD1 reviews flow in after it’s hopefully released on Dec 7.

My CSW v2.5 is serving me well right now, but I’m looking for more......

Upvote 0
Thanks Beef.

I recall similar feedback over in ISRTV, but your responses in that thread have disappeared.

In your opinion, having extensively used both an OSW mige and an Accuforce v2, is the OSW really discernibly “less grainy” than the OSW?

Being in the USA, I’m looking at $1050 shipped to my door for the Accuforce v2 Complete system.

Upvote 0
I will have my fanatec carbon for AFv2 for sale next week in case you are interested. I might also consider selling the button box with fanatec gt wheel since it's just collecting dust. They are both 6 months old with the AF QR on.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies