Accuforce v2 vs. OSW vs. Fanatec Podium DD1? Which one is the best?

I'm in the U.S. and am trying to decide which wheel to buy. I have demoed an Accuforce v2 and it felt great, but i'm wondering if i'm missing anything with the OSW and the soon-to-be-released Podium. "RON reviewt" on YouTube apparently was able to spend some decent time with the Podium at the Fanatec community event on Aug. 25 (in Germany?) and I asked him directly in the comments what his thoughts were on the Accuforce to the OSW to the Podium since Fanatec had all wheel types setup at this event. He seemed genuinely unbiased, and in his comments he said he felt the Podium was smoother than the Accuforce and that the OSW was just slightly smoother than the Accuforce and suggested I wait until more reviews and comparisons are released. Now, this could be due to the fact that Fanatec did not spend too much time tuning up the Accuforce or OSW thus inducing a feeling that the Podium was "smoother". I'm looking for some community feedback to help me with my purchase as I'm wondering if I can just go ahead now and buy the Accuforce with no regrets. And I don't really want to wait until December to buy a first gen product either. Do we think the Podium is going to be that much better than the Accuforce or OSW?

Thoughts?

Here's how the prices break down. The Accuforce is easily the most economical option. And it get's even cheaper on Black Friday when they offer it for $1050 shipped! (i'm not sure if I can wait another 7 weeks)

Accuforce v2 Complete System with Accuforce wheel and button box paddle shifters- $1200 shipped.

Simucube OSW small Mige wheel base - $1300 shipped, + Fanatec wheel/button box $400 = ~ $1700 shipped to the U.S.

Fanatec Podium DD1 = $1040 + Fanatec wheel with paddle shifters and button box $400 = ~ $1440

Mr Latte

Premium
Actually the guys have said none of them had any real experience or knowledge of the Accuforce and how to set it up with Sim Commander so they just used stock settings which I can tell you in some games feel really rough and I’m not sure what they did with the damping and other settings.

Take Assetto Corsa Competizione that just released, using the AC profile to get it working on the AF was extremely harsh and artificial and a long way from feeling smooth until I tinkered a little bit if someone went into it like that they would have just assumed the AF was notchy and mechanical.

Now the argument is they should setup the software better out of the box and have more specific in-game profiles setup just for those but then you also have the issue of people liking a certain feel or effects whether they are realistic or not. I only like realistic FFB effects but from reading it seems most people like all the added fake ones to get more feel for the car so my settings might seem dead and lacking in detail to some.

Anyway ignoring those differences if you check out the comments on GamerMuscles videos you will see even he admitted the differences between the DD wheels were only in the 5-10%. You also have to consider just because those guys have bought and used DD wheels doesn’t make them experts, no offence meant to them as they’re channels are still enjoyable but I’m far more interested in what Barry of SRG has to say.

All I can say is, from my own position and opinon. I am glad I did indeed hold off and not buy an Accuforce V2 or OSW. I do like the extra benefits the Fanatec brings, I really like its design too and yes, really any of these wheelbase options will bring a high-quality user experience.

Each person may find a certain appeal in one or the other, I do however think these wheels will bring more pricing competition within the OSW and Accuforce.

Once the initial launch passes, Fanatec can easily come up with packaged rim/wheelbase sales promotions to drive (lol) more sales of their own. I just do not know if I want to risk being an owner fo the first manufactured batches. Sorry to Fanatec but I am still not 100% convinced seeing even how the Mclaren Rim has been released with issues.

Upvote 0
All I can say is, from my own position and opinon. I am glad I did indeed hold off and not buy an Accuforce V2 or OSW. I do like the extra benefits the Fanatec brings, I really like its design too and yes, really any of these wheelbase options will bring a high-quality user experience.

Each person may find a certain appeal in one or the other, I do however think these wheels will bring more pricing competition within the OSW and Accuforce.

Once the initial launch passes, Fanatec can easily come up with packaged rim/wheelbase sales promotions to drive (lol) more sales of their own. I just do not know if I want to risk being an owner fo the first manufactured batches. Sorry to Fanatec but I am still not 100% convinced seeing even how the Mclaren Rim has been released with issues.
That’s the thing, Pros & cons to each but you can’t really go wrong with any of them assuming the Fanatec is just as reliable or there is something in particular you want/need that only one or the other offers.

I tried looking up electric bike motor reliabilty but couldn’t find anything so don’t think they are really prolific enough to know either way as there aren’t any positive or negative experiences when I looked on the longevity front.

Upvote 0
Has anyone returned from Sim Racing Expo 2018 who actually had a chance to demo OSW, AccuForce v2, and the Fanatec Podium in separate manufacturer booths?

I’m curious to hear results.

I am really struggling between the $1200 AccuForce v2 complete or an ~$1700 OSW large Mige Biss-C (will build it myself to save more plus it’s fun) with a Fanatec rim and conversion kit on top of the wheel base. Shipping costs from the EU for all the separate parts is really what gets you with the OSW.

Upvote 0
After extensively contemplating, I have ended up buying a 4 month old like new Fanatec ClubSport v2.5 wheel with the CSL P1 rim for $300 USD. I thought that was a great deal and this should tide me over until the DD1 is available.

Upvote 0

DomB_Fanatec

Fanatec Community Manager
Has anyone returned from Sim Racing Expo 2018 who actually had a chance to demo OSW, AccuForce v2, and the Fanatec Podium in separate manufacturer booths?

I’m curious to hear results.

I am really struggling between the $1200 AccuForce v2 complete or an ~$1700 OSW large Mige Biss-C (will build it myself to save more plus it’s fun) with a Fanatec rim and conversion kit on top of the wheel base. Shipping costs from the EU for all the separate parts is really what gets you with the OSW.
I think testing the hardware in separate booths isn't a great way of coming to a conclusion, as everyone is using different software and setups. I understand that people are skeptical of our test bench, but it was as fair as we could make it, and I believe it was the best opportunity (probably the best ever; I don't think anyone has made such a precise test bench before) to make direct comparisons.

We received setups from Bodnar and SimuCube directly at the event, and the SimuCube guys tried the test bench and said it was a fair comparison. We also ran an optimised setting for the Accuforce V2 provided to us by a user following the criticism of our setup at the community event. It improved the feeling but it retained the 'graininess' that everyone detected at the community event. It was even suggested to me at the Expo that we had a bad unit, but the other AccuForce at the KTM booth was similarly grainy. We actually had to turn our bases down, 'giving up' some performance in order to make the comparison consistent across the bench.

Upvote 0
Dom, thanks for the insight on how the test bench was configured. I am hoping it will indeed be worth the wait to buy the DD1 in December. Hopefully, the release doesn't get pushed out even further than December.

My decisioning process:
1. The OSW required too much fiddling with a significant cost outlay for it to be worth it for me. I was also worried about EMI issues. In the end, it was going to end up costing me about $1800+ USD for me to buy a simucube setup from SimRacing Bay and to also buy the Fanatec rim conversion parts and quick release and a $300 Fanatec rim of choice. If I pieced it together myself, it would probably cost about $1650.
2. The Accuforce v2 objectively is not as smooth as the OSW or DD1. If I am spending $1200+, I did not want to buy something I would later wonder if I made the right decision on it.
3. Therefore, the DD1 at $1000 (does it include a rim of some sort?), seemed like the logical choice when considering its plug and playability, cost, support, and Fanatec rim compatibility.

Upvote 0
I think testing the hardware in separate booths isn't a great way of coming to a conclusion, as everyone is using different software and setups. I understand that people are skeptical of our test bench, but it was as fair as we could make it, and I believe it was the best opportunity (probably the best ever; I don't think anyone has made such a precise test bench before) to make direct comparisons.

We received setups from Bodnar and SimuCube directly at the event, and the SimuCube guys tried the test bench and said it was a fair comparison. We also ran an optimised setting for the Accuforce V2 provided to us by a user following the criticism of our setup at the community event. It improved the feeling but it retained the 'graininess' that everyone detected at the community event. It was even suggested to me at the Expo that we had a bad unit, but the other AccuForce at the KTM booth was similarly grainy. We actually had to turn our bases down, 'giving up' some performance in order to make the comparison consistent across the bench.
The problem with that is everybody has their wheels setup completely differently so taking one persons still isn’t entirely representative, I’ve seen a lot of setups online that I would never use because they aren’t realistic or I think they feel terrible on top of differing in-game settings.

There is innate “graininess” in the wheel which I won’t deny but you’re only going to feel that if you either run without enough smoothing or have the FFB turned right down. Now as I type this I’m thinking that actually the reason I don’t feel it is because I don’t turn down FFB to make it easier to drive but run higher more realistic levels which from what I gather reading comments online most people turn it all the way down.

That in addition to the fact I’ve got Buttkickers on my rig with constant engine vibrations probably means it’s harder to detect but I certainly noticed the difference in smoothness when I switched from a CSW V2 to the AtFV2 when it was switched off and the buzzing sound it made with quick rotation made me think maybe I’d been sold a fake and inside was a belt mechanism but watching videos of servo and stepper motors that just seems to be the sound they make.

In conclusion then it probably does feel grainy in direct comparison to the other motors but in isolation I’m not convinced the differences are enough to swap from one to another on performance alone, it’s the package and cost people should be looking at.

For Europeans the Accuforce outside of BF sales isn’t even in the equation normally as VAT/Duty, currency conversion and shipping really bump up the price on top of repairs being a ballache if you needed to ship it back. If I remember righly $999 list price translated to £1200 to my door or 2/3 more. Normal price is around £1600 which is more than a DD1 and similar Universal Hub at which point it’s clearly not a good buy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree that with the right settings, the AccuForce can feel very smooth and it seems few potential buyers value or consider the benefits of having an alternate method of having effective FFB through SimCommander although, I'm seeing more and more owners voicing their appreciation when using the system with titles such as Dirt Rally. It's also a great way to enhance the FFB by combining added details / effects in cases where they may be lacking in the game-FFB.

Despite my appreciation of what the OSW brings to the table, there are times where I really miss having SimCommander's tuning capabilities and tools to fine-tune the FFB, add subtle details or offer an alternative form of FFB. As good as the SimuCube FFB can be, there are times where lateral tire-scrub feel is lacking and I suspect some of that may be getting filtered out through the firmware but, more testing is needed to see if that is truly the case. It's probably time I mount-up the AF and re-visit those tuning options.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FWIW my OSW was basically plug and play. I don't mind the technical side of things too much but this was basically connect the cables and grab Simucube and away you go. Sure an OSW can be build from scratch yourself but that's why I chose Simracingbay to get mine from. All my Fanatec rims work as if it's a Fanatec wheel base and I've been happy since my purchase. Came from V2.5.

Upvote 0
FWIW my OSW was basically plug and play. I don't mind the technical side of things too much but this was basically connect the cables and grab Simucube and away you go. Sure an OSW can be build from scratch yourself but that's why I chose Simracingbay to get mine from. All my Fanatec rims work as if it's a Fanatec wheel base and I've been happy since my purchase. Came from V2.5.

Was it really truly plug and play with your Fanatec rims? Did you have to buy or build some kind of adapter with that female Fanatec rim connection in it or does that come built inside the Fanatec quick release connector that comes with the SimRacingBay kit?

Upvote 0

DomB_Fanatec

Fanatec Community Manager
@DomB_Fanatec
I swear you are a god sent. Seeing how you seem to be quite helpful, how about helping me out with a plan to ship to my yet to be purchased DD1 to South Africa. I'll buy you a beer for your troubles :D
I would like to help you Kaygeeoh, but we don't currently ship directly to South Africa. It is already possible to purchase a selection of our products via Amazon and have them shipped to South Africa via AmazonGlobal, but as the Podium Series is still in development, this doesn't currently include the DD1. We would like to sell the Podium Series through Amazon eventually, but that isn't something we can arrange right now.

....Therefore, the DD1 at $1000 (does it include a rim of some sort?)....
It is a wheel base only. Our entire range of steering wheels currently listed on the site will be compatible, which includes the 'entry level' CSL P1. This is a very capable wheel, I've used one myself for almost 3 years. The Podium wheel bases detect CSL Series wheels and automatically run at a reduced torque (the performance level is still very high, at least the strength of the ClubSport V2.5 but with the extra fidelity/responsiveness that is inherent to direct drive), so a P1 isn't really the way to go if you want to immediately max out the wheel, but it is the most affordable way to get started.

In conclusion then it probably does feel grainy in direct comparison to the other motors but in isolation I’m not convinced the differences are enough to swap from one to another on performance alone, it’s the package and cost people should be looking at.
Fair point, they are all very capable, high performance systems at the end of the day. But the grainy feeling is not the only difference with the AccuForce. Fundamentally, the DD1 and DD2 are more powerful, and therefore have a greater dynamic range. To me, the difference is obvious, unlike the comparison between the Podiums and the OSWs and SimSteering systems, which is quite subtle. But as you say, in isolation, it can be difficult to remember what something else felt like if you can't swap to it immediately.

I agree that with the right settings, the AccuForce can feel very smooth and it seems few potential buyers value or consider the benefits of having an alternate method of having effective FFB through SimCommander although, I'm seeing more and more owners voicing their appreciation when using the system with titles such as Dirt Rally. It's also a great way to enhance the FFB by combining added details / effects in cases where they may be lacking in the game-FFB.

Despite my appreciation of what the OSW brings to the table, there are times where I really miss having SimCommander's tuning capabilities and tools to fine-tune the FFB, add subtle details or offer an alternative form of FFB. As good as the SimuCube FFB can be, there are times where lateral tire-scrub feel is lacking and I suspect some of that may be getting filtered out through the firmware but, more testing is needed to see if that is truly the case. It's probably time I mount-up the AF and re-visit those tuning options.
We believe that most of the obvious issues with certain FFB signals can be tuned out within the Tuning Menu, accessible on the wheel itself. But we are going to offer more flexibility...

Dom - Is there going to be some sort of out of game master FFB control available with the DD1 similar to SimCommander?
Yes, the Podium Software Suite will allow more fine tuning on a per-game basis. The software should be intuitive to use and very powerful.

Upvote 0
Was it really truly plug and play with your Fanatec rims? Did you have to buy or build some kind of adapter with that female Fanatec rim connection in it or does that come built inside the Fanatec quick release connector that comes with the SimRacingBay kit?

Oh you need to buy the adapter, but you need a quick release of some sort eventually so if you have Fanatec rims, just get that one bundled with the OSW and you're good to go. If you want the buttons to work you'll need the conversion hub that makes the buttons and screen and rev lights work, but when you buy a rim with a button box, you are paying for all of that stuff too, so it's not really extra. Just a different way of doing it. Fanatec CSW rims tend to be pretty good value for money when you consider what you get with them. You get the conversion hub once and all the rims work. No need to put one on each rim.

It all depends how you want to go about it. Have a look at how much some rims will set you back and you will realise that that Fanatec option is a good one. I had 3 rims already, for me it was an easy choice.

Upvote 0
Right Chez. But then, in USD, I’m still looking at a $1500 out the door cost to get a small mige OSW to my house ready to accept a Fanatec rim of choice.

In my scenario, it still makes sense for me to “suffer through” with a CSW v2.5 for $300 between now and the DD1 release, buy the $1000 DD1 and a $300 rim in December, and then sell my CSW v2.5 for probably the same or a little less than I have just paid for it.

I can absolutely afford to expend an extra $500 right now, but I’m looking forward to the DD1 release which has a major corporation behind it for support be that good or bad depending on who you talk to on these forums!

Upvote 0
Shelling out extra dough for a proper rim with button plate might not be a bad idea with high torque wheels.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/fanatec-bmw-rim-snapped-in-half-wtf.158953/
Could be a single case of bad casting but I do not see this happening under any circumstances with Momo, Sparco or Spotline rims I use.
Looks like Fanatec has new rim for Podium perhaps to address the flimsiness of existing lineup

It's still a prototype and hopefully they'll replaced these placeholder buttons with something proper like Knitter.

Upvote 0
Dom from Fanatec above said that any of their rims would be compatible and suitable for the DD1 and 2. I would tend to trust what he says. I think the thread you are linking to is an isolated incident. If something like that happened, I would trust that Fanatec would make it right.

By the way, the P1 wheel I have came with the CSW v2.5 wheelbase I bought. I will buy a nicer rim between now and my DD1 purchase date!

Upvote 0

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 125 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%