Accuforce v2 vs. OSW vs. Fanatec Podium DD1? Which one is the best?

I'm in the U.S. and am trying to decide which wheel to buy. I have demoed an Accuforce v2 and it felt great, but i'm wondering if i'm missing anything with the OSW and the soon-to-be-released Podium. "RON reviewt" on YouTube apparently was able to spend some decent time with the Podium at the Fanatec community event on Aug. 25 (in Germany?) and I asked him directly in the comments what his thoughts were on the Accuforce to the OSW to the Podium since Fanatec had all wheel types setup at this event. He seemed genuinely unbiased, and in his comments he said he felt the Podium was smoother than the Accuforce and that the OSW was just slightly smoother than the Accuforce and suggested I wait until more reviews and comparisons are released. Now, this could be due to the fact that Fanatec did not spend too much time tuning up the Accuforce or OSW thus inducing a feeling that the Podium was "smoother". I'm looking for some community feedback to help me with my purchase as I'm wondering if I can just go ahead now and buy the Accuforce with no regrets. And I don't really want to wait until December to buy a first gen product either. Do we think the Podium is going to be that much better than the Accuforce or OSW?

Thoughts?

Here's how the prices break down. The Accuforce is easily the most economical option. And it get's even cheaper on Black Friday when they offer it for $1050 shipped! (i'm not sure if I can wait another 7 weeks)

Accuforce v2 Complete System with Accuforce wheel and button box paddle shifters- $1200 shipped.

Simucube OSW small Mige wheel base - $1300 shipped, + Fanatec wheel/button box $400 = ~ $1700 shipped to the U.S.

Fanatec Podium DD1 = $1040 + Fanatec wheel with paddle shifters and button box $400 = ~ $1440

Since I'm considering getting a direct drive steering wheel at some point, and my son is a gamer, has VR and a solid gaming system and since he's expressed interest, I'm considering giving him my full Fanatec system for christmas. My daughter is getting my old gaming computer and Rift for her birthday in a few weeks.

While I know I could recoup some of what I paid for these controls, I'd rather pass them on.

Not having any more college bills to deal with can make a dad feel a bit generous.

Good news! My SRM shifter upgrade for my McLaren rim shipped :)

I wanna be your kids :D

Upvote 0
I just went the accuforce as IMHO the software has so much to offer over other titles. I have owned fanatec for over 10 yrs. They have not yet as far as i know released new firmware/drivers which is my biggest concern they seem to update rather than release. So im hoping a upgrade from my CSW v1 which has lasted me about 10 yrs without any issues to a ACCUFORCE i will see a massive improvement.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
How's the flex?
I have a Formula V2 I will convert to USB with the SRM kit when all my OSW/SC1 hardware arrives.

But even without a conversion, there's a noticeable frame hum when the APM shifter snaps back into place (like hitting a steel beam with a hammer). I want to remove this humming but I'm not sure how.

I have no idea. I ONLY used that wheel with my CS 2.5 and I haven't used that in over 9 months.

When I got my SC2 Pro I abandoned all my Fanatec wheels and I'm glad I did. My PSE GT3 is so much nicer than anything else I had before.

Upvote 0
I don't know if they changed something, but it's really not that bad.
Mine arrived today. That fan is by far the loudest noise source in the room;
perhaps they vary from box to box. I use an Odyssey+ HMD
which has small speakers that mostly rest on but do not seal to ears.
I moved the controller to a bookcase 6 ft from the wheel
and facing away from me; fan noise is still distracting.

Upvote 0
Mine arrived today. That fan is by far the loudest noise source in the room;
perhaps they vary from box to box. I use an Odyssey+ HMD
which has small speakers that mostly rest on but do not seal to ears.
I moved the controller to a bookcase 6 ft from the wheel
and facing away from me; fan noise is still distracting.

I guess maybe the noise cancelling of the headphones is drowning the fan noise out. I will have to give it a try without headphones.

Upvote 0
There is a thread where some have disconnected the fan without heat issue but I followed another suggestion by using a Noctua 60mm, and it is not loud at all. The Noctua is 25mm thick so I had to run it without the PSU cover but the main cover is on. I believe changing the fan will void your warranty, although arguably to a better cooling unit. The accuforce has been perfect.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use a 140mm case fan blowing onto the power supply and the supply fan never comes on.
Interesting... my controller's fan starts blasting sound within seconds of power on;
perhaps it has a faulty thermostat or is heading for early life overheating failure.
There is very little air flow; perhaps stalling?
Don't forget that SC4 includes sim vibe.
I am unlikely to forget that; I tried SimVibe soon after ordering AccuForce, but prefer SimHub ShakeIt.
When I first launched with AccuForce plugged in, it refused to display any window after logo until uninstall and reinstall. It was seemingly unhappy about detecting AccuForce after being configured without it..

Upvote 0
My controller fan also starts up as soon as it's powered on. I agree it's certainly quite loud but I don't hear it with headphones on.

Does your wheel box make a high pitch sort of electrical hum?

Upvote 0
FWIW, AccuForce controller fan is absurdly noisy and off-putting.

My AFv2 is about 3 weeks old and yes the fan is on, but not really off-putting I would say. Of course I have it near my feet and with headphones or speakers running, you really dont notice it. I hear alot of people mentioning the noise, but honestly its not bad.

Upvote 0
I hear alot of people mentioning the noise, but honestly its not bad.
Searching the AccuForce Wheel Owners fora, it is clear that some fans run
only occasionally while others run constantly, which may be a V1 vs V2 thing.
Fan noise presumably bothers some owners more than others,
but I expect operating fan noise also varies substantially among controllers;
with mine is as distant as allowed by cable, in a cabinet with opening facing away,
its noise is still bothersome (to me).
It measures about 55dB (C weighting) at 1m distance and 30 degrees off-axis.
A noise-absorbing "chimney" over the fan vent is next..

Air temperature exiting the housing is not even warm; fan speed/noise is overkill.

Upvote 0
Something about my current wheel that is driving me batty. My Fanatec CSR (a stripped down Porsche wheel) has a nasty center FFB valley. When going straight, it feels as if the wheel's FFB fell into a detent because; it takes some extra effort to turn left or right. Imagine that common clutch pedal fall off sensation, but in reverse and applied to the center point of your FFB wheel.

This sensation is immersion breaking and I feel it effects my control of the sims I play. Does this happen with any Direct Drive wheels?

Upvote 0
When going straight, it feels as if the wheel's FFB fell into a detent because; it takes some extra effort to turn left or right.

I sense nothing like that with the AccuForce V2, but play only a few cars in Assetto Corsa,
where Logitech wheels were notorious for the opposite effect:
a dead spot with less resistance or response around straight ahead.
FWIW, AccuForce wheel center is simply a firmware setting;
those of us e.g. with DIY hubs, quick releases and wheels need not be concerned with getting things perfectly aligned mechanically; just aim whatever installed wheel straight ahead and mouse-click a setting in Sim Commander 4.

I use steering gamma in Assetto Corsa to approximate variable ratio steering and fool with car toe, caster and limited slip values to make centering forces and responses better approximate my recollections of real car experiences.

Upvote 0
Thank You for that blekenbleu. That is what I needed to hear. I've been in a toss up between the Accuforce and a Fanatec CSW setup, but I wanted to be certain about a if a center dead zone existed on the AF.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back