Accuforce v2 vs. OSW vs. Fanatec Podium DD1? Which one is the best?

I'm in the U.S. and am trying to decide which wheel to buy. I have demoed an Accuforce v2 and it felt great, but i'm wondering if i'm missing anything with the OSW and the soon-to-be-released Podium. "RON reviewt" on YouTube apparently was able to spend some decent time with the Podium at the Fanatec community event on Aug. 25 (in Germany?) and I asked him directly in the comments what his thoughts were on the Accuforce to the OSW to the Podium since Fanatec had all wheel types setup at this event. He seemed genuinely unbiased, and in his comments he said he felt the Podium was smoother than the Accuforce and that the OSW was just slightly smoother than the Accuforce and suggested I wait until more reviews and comparisons are released. Now, this could be due to the fact that Fanatec did not spend too much time tuning up the Accuforce or OSW thus inducing a feeling that the Podium was "smoother". I'm looking for some community feedback to help me with my purchase as I'm wondering if I can just go ahead now and buy the Accuforce with no regrets. And I don't really want to wait until December to buy a first gen product either. Do we think the Podium is going to be that much better than the Accuforce or OSW?

Thoughts?

Here's how the prices break down. The Accuforce is easily the most economical option. And it get's even cheaper on Black Friday when they offer it for $1050 shipped! (i'm not sure if I can wait another 7 weeks)

Accuforce v2 Complete System with Accuforce wheel and button box paddle shifters- $1200 shipped.

Simucube OSW small Mige wheel base - $1300 shipped, + Fanatec wheel/button box $400 = ~ $1700 shipped to the U.S.

Fanatec Podium DD1 = $1040 + Fanatec wheel with paddle shifters and button box $400 = ~ $1440

• Deleted member 197115

@DomB_Fanatec
ok so just to drive this point home
i plan on getting a DD1 with
ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One
and

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT
and have no loss in power and or torque?
and the club sport pedals. im trying to decide weather to get the inverted ones or not. "thoughts"?
any news on the auctions in the US. i think it would be fun to play around in the actions trying to get one cheaper.

thanks
Even that we don't mind, you don't necessarily have to share this with everyone, try direct message instead. :)

Upvote 0
@DomB_Fanatec
ok so just to drive this point home
i plan on getting a DD1 with
ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One
and

ClubSport Steering Wheel GT
and have no loss in power and or torque?
and the club sport pedals. im trying to decide weather to get the inverted ones or not. "thoughts"?
any news on the auctions in the US. i think it would be fun to play around in the actions trying to get one cheaper.

thanks
Yes that's correct, any ClubSport-spec wheel in the current range will work perfectly with the Podium wheel bases and will allow the full range of torque.

Whether you go for inverted or standard V3 pedals is mostly about personal preference. The performance is essentially the same (although the inverted set includes a pre-installed Damper Kit on the brake), but the feel is quite different due to the pivot positions. To me, the inverteds seem a bit more natural, as the brake and clutch throw is closer to that of the road cars I'm familiar with.

As for the auctions, unfortunately I have no new information to offer, but we are still working on it.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

That a very old review, the new Simucube firmwares brings the OSW to a whole new level.
With a good encoder it can compete with Bodnar in terms of feedback and smoothness.
The OSW simucube software is updated and new features added almost every month.
If you saw the latest Simucube reviews by Barry, he still prefers Bodnar. While multiple feedback from Fanatec events suggest otherwise.
And 'new level' thing is blown out of proportion, new FW mostly addreses usability aspect and low ffb rate signal from iRacing with recon filter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
AFAIK, the fundamental user features of the SimuCube FW are in place and any new features by way of settings would likely have to come from the "Open Source" side of community member involvement. Being that the iRacing community seems to drive much of the development, it seems less likely that there will be much incentive to bring any additional features as the general consensus among many members tends to run along the lines of "less is more" when it comes to FFB effects.

I would have liked something like SimCommander's telemetry-driven FFB as an alternative but, if Fanatec manages to develop something similar, that may present me with an interesting dilemma (pending user reviews of course).

All FFB-systems have their constraints and limitations, even the Bodnar. I suspect Fanatec has an opportunity to broaden the scope of what is possible in good overall dynamics combined with advanced tuning capabilities but, time will tell.

I would welcome another AccuForce version to the market offering a more robust motor and more button-box options, magnetic shifters, etc.

Upvote 0
I doubt AF will come with a more robust motor since they believe 13Nm is more than enough. As far as the button box I guess the consumer can go and get what they like with the correct adapter.

Although I did not get the chance to test any other DD and not being involved with iR at all I am happy with the choice I made in following the suggestion of a custom wheel builder to go for the AF due to the software. Adding simvibe to the recipe it's still a no brainier, specially for a US resident.

Upvote 0
You can actually wire up a custom wheel to plug directly into the Accuforce RJ12 plug, I have a DIN adapter on mine that I could swap, the main reason I don’t is because it’s a pain in the arse when windows reconfigures the USB order and all your button maps stop working so I just keep it connected via USB.

Upvote 0
I don’t think Accuforce is going to continue to let the competition take their market share and I think we will see a 20nm servo motor in the very near future.
I don’t think they really care tbh, they don’t sell as many as people seem to think and the business isn’t setup to need huge sales, they’d be a lot cheaper if they were produced on the scale of the low end wheels or even Fanatec’s CSW line.

Not only that but Berney has already explicitly said they tested more powerful wheels some ridiculously so even more than the 30Nm OSW’s and decided its just not needed based on their own use and user feedback.

Then you also have to factor in they are fully invested in the GS5 seat testing and production as their primary drive right now which nobody else is doing and is a far more lucrative market along with their motion system for them.

Upvote 0
I've cooled my jets and will bide my time with my CSW v2.5, which I'm more than happy with for the time being. If the Podium series review well and (more importantly) prove reliable, and if I feel the need to upgrade this time next year, then that'll be the route I'd probably take over an OSW. I hear all the time about how simple OSW ownership is, but in the same breath users mention adapters, coily USB cables, EM shielding, software in beta, etc etc. My current mindset is that I just want a truly plug 'n' play solution backed by solid after-sales support with the comfort that comes from components that are designed to work in harmony with each other and that don't need additional physical or electronic bridges to link them.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I really am looking for a faff-free existence.

Upvote 0
I've cooled my jets and will bide my time with my CSW v2.5, which I'm more than happy with for the time being. If the Podium series review well and (more importantly) prove reliable, and if I feel the need to upgrade this time next year, then that'll be the route I'd probably take over an OSW. I hear all the time about how simple OSW ownership is, but in the same breath users mention adapters, coily USB cables, EM shielding, software in beta, etc etc. My current mindset is that I just want a truly plug 'n' play solution backed by solid after-sales support with the comfort that comes from components that are designed to work in harmony with each other and that don't need additional physical or electronic bridges to link them.

Generally, I think most OSW users don't experience all of those issues you mention but, certainly some. I've had to replace a couple of coiled cables and can understand that you want to avoid the hassles of putting the puzzle pieces together to make it all work. For some, that can be part of the experience to be enjoyed but, it's not for everyone.

Personally, my primary concerns for the Podium series are with long-term durability and development of the telemetry-driven FFB option. The latter being the feature that is absent from the OSW system but, it may be one that only AccuForce users can truly appreciate.

Upvote 0

I hear you buddy and was in the exact same boat. However I thought 'long and hard' and took the plunge with an OSW (small MiGE) from Sim Racing Bay primarily because I was impatient :roflmao: plus the Podium does not have a front-mounting solution like the CSW v2.5 does and the OSW simply bolts directly on to my existing bracket. I just didn't want to have to buy a new wheel-deck from Sim Labs although, in the spirit of fairness, Fanatec did tell me that should demand for front-mounting be sufficient, a bracket would be considered although there's no way of knowing whether this would still be compatible with my Sim Labs set up.

With regards the rest:

HW / SW Set Up - Quick, simple & clear instructions provided. Pretty much plug and play.

Fanatac USB Adapter (supplied by SRM) - 5 minutes, job done. Quality product and everything works.

Coiled USB Cable - no issue for me. Not intrusive or restrictive unless you are possibly in to drifting!

EMI concerns
- fully shielded cables available. (To be safe have also grounded the USB adapter and my HE Pros. Again very quick and easy to do.)

OSW Plug & Play
- detected every sim first time. Calibration a breeze. (AC, ACC, PC2 R3E, rF2)

Simucube - in beta but appears very robust and is easy to use. Maybe lacking a few features and options that others have experienced elsewhere (FFB derived from telemetry data) but that's based on what I've read only.

Firmware - in development and very simple to update

Simucube Profiles - Okay so this is the most time-consuming element as ideally you need to set up a profile for different wheel rotations and for each sim to match the car in-game. And then you have to remember to select it before launching the sim. Saying that plenty are happy to stick with say a 720 or 540 set up for everything and apply the same in-game so that the onscreen rotation mirrors what's in your hands. After that there are just a handful, (if that), of sliders you are advised to adjust from those available. You Tube and the community offers plenty of advice. Have to say I was a bit daunted to start with but I've got used to it very quickly and have left everything alone since as I'm not chasing the Holy Grail. Maybe one day I'll experiment a little but everything feels pretty great so far. (AC & rF2 are simply fantastic. R3E's 'road feel' is a disappointment but its feedback of grip and wheel slip is outstanding)

Game FFB - in-game tweaks required as usual (down to personal taste) and sometimes to .ini files as well but again, YT and the community is your friend.

Customer Service - Tomo has been bloody fantastic, pre- and post-sale and is always quick to advise, help and answer any question you may have. I've a lot of confidence in his ability to support me going forwards, not that I expect to need it.

Other - OSW has a separate electronics / psu case so a little extra space and some cable management is required. Don't believe this applies to the Fanatec DD range.

I reckon that with reading up and advice from elsewhere, I was up and running with the three or four sims I enjoy and comfortable with everything and my new 'launch routine' in a few days. To me the OSW is a huge step up compared to the CSW v2.5 and I wasn't expecting that as I have nothing but good to say about the Fanatec product, which never let me down once and provided me with the perfect introduction to Sim Racing. As a result if reliability proves to be excellent, I would expect Fanatec's DD offerings to be 'right up there' and likely more user-friendly and intuitive in terms of set up, out-of-the-box compatibility with all major sims and on-the-fly profile management.

But I'm very, very happy with my choice to go down the OSW / Simucube route. My enjoyment and the level of immersion has, without doubt, gone up a few notches and it wasn't as if I was dissatisfied before. The way you can lean on the wheel and the way it fights back and provides you with so much feedback has been the most noticeable thing for me. Maybe it's because I was being overly-sympathetic with the Fanatec product but the OSW is such an industrial piece of kit that I've absolutely no fear of breaking it. Indeed it's not even sweating and is probably laughing at me.

'Choices, choices' but they are all good ones with pros and cons for each.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I’m hoping Sim-Lab will have a side mount option. All it would need is the same design as the current front mount but shorter and with two wings, one to attach to the inside of the uprights and the other to the wheelbase.

You could the have it setup in either a vertical or horizontal orientation based on visual preference.

Upvote 0
I currently have a CSW v2.5 and am looking to upgrade to a DD wheel soon but can’t decide between the DD1/2 or an OSW. I decided I’ll wait until the DD1/2’s get more reviews and seat time with them.

However, my question is I’m going to buy a Sim Lab chassis right now but can’t decide which wheel mount to get. I’d like to go with the front mount but then would be SOL if I decided to go with the Fanatec direct drive. Any suggestions/commments? Also, anyone with a Sim Lab have recommendations for accessories. I’m planning on adding buttshakers eventually but most likely no motion. I race in VR so I was going to get the single monitor mount.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just bought a Sim-Lab GT1 Evo and I’m putting it together now. It was completely worth the 25 day wait from order to delivery. Excellent quality and value. Richard threw in a piece of 40 x 40 so I could mount my monitor like this with a $12 mount from Amazon. https://m.imgur.com/a/7yO9B I too will be racing with a Rift. I have a CSW v2.5 and will be upgrading to a DD1 and it will work perfectly with the Evo wheel deck. However, I did just notice that the holes for the pedals on the pedal plate don’t line up with the Protosimtech PT2 pedals I bought so I am going to have to drill some holes. Not a huge deal though. It’s 5mm thick steel on the wheel deck and pedal plate. Pretty beefy if you ask me. I have a couple of ButtKicker LFE minis I bought I will be attaching to this rig. It’s going to take me some time to finish this as I only have a few hours per day to mess with this. I feel like a kid at Christmas!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the regular wheel mount with an OSW and have no problems at all. It's probably the safest way to go if you're unsure of what wheel you may end up with in the future. The other option is just purchase whichever one you don't choose now separately later on, of course for an additional cost. It's better than settling on a wheel that is not your preference just to suit the mount you chose. For folks in Europe that option couldn't be that bad. Shipping to Australia for me might make it a little more painful. That's why I chose the regular mount. Just in case. I had the V2.5 when I ordered my SimLab chassis. Didn't last long...

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.3%
  • 100% offline racing