ACC VR - The definitive VR Performance Guide

Hi,

I have been polishing ACC for VR, made a guide to help others out.
This guide is mostly for Valve Index, Vive and other SteamVR headsets, not tested with Oculus. However, if you find good results with any Oculus headset, let me know so we can update the guide.

Guide on Web

In this guide i will explain in detail how to get the most out of Assetto Corsa Competizione in terms of VR Performance

This guide is up to date with 1.8, as i am not 100% happy with the VR performance introduced in 1.8.

There will probably be updates to this guide after some long-term testing, since i am not perfectly satisfied with the performance yet. However, this guide should be a good pointer or baseline for anyone looking to improve their performance in VR significantly.

Last Update: 2022-11-17

Sections:

Last edited:
I feel the same way. So spoilt by AMS2 and iRacing in VR that I have given up on getting rF2 to the same level of visual fidelity...and wasn't even pondering trying to get ACC to the same level lol. I am curious if you manage it though, so please keep us posted!
I did manage it! RF2 is looking fantastic now, better than iRacing and more realistic than AMS2 ( althoug still not as nice ). I've gotten ACC running sweetly now at 90 FPS as well. All it took was spending a ton of money.

I struggled to get good VR performances until trying these settings. Very detailed explanation on how to setup and I'm happy to report ACC in VR is enjoyable now! I do have a 4090 with Ryzen 7 7900x but anybody with a 3080 and above should try this.

I struggled to get good VR performances until trying these settings. Very detailed explanation on how to setup and I'm happy to report ACC in VR is enjoyable now! I do have a 4090 with Ryzen 7 7900x but anybody with a 3080 and above should try this.

Awesome. I have updated the blogpost on lynxsec with some new minor details added, i haven't updated the guide here yet though.

Did anyone tried to compare OpenXR toolkit vs VrPerfkit in sense of pic quality and performance.... my view is that vrPerfKit is much easier to use while they offering similar performance features (upscaling and ffr)!

Did anyone tried to compare OpenXR toolkit vs VrPerfkit in sense of pic quality and performance.... my view is that vrPerfKit is much easier to use while they offering similar performance features (upscaling and ffr)!
Hey,

Currently i am sticking to VRPerfKit since it's offering a great performance boost, many possibilities in the config for fine tuning and is very easy to install.

I have been looking into OpenXR for quite some time, but my tests are not showing a big difference with Valve Index (Might be a big difference with other headsets though)

Posted the guide to reddit yesterday and got **** on because "OpenXR is so much better", well...

The guide is made for headsets that run SteamVR natively. OpenXR is made for headsets that do not run SteamVR nativelivy, that need a wrapper to work with SteamVR. For Valve Index or Vive, SteamVR is the absolute best performance wise.

Last edited:
Hey,

Currently i am sticking to VRPerfKit since it's offering a great performance boost, many possibilities in the config for fine tuning and is very easy to install.

I have been looking into OpenXR for quite some time, but my tests are not showing a big difference with Valve Index (Might be a big difference with other headsets though)

Posted the guide to reddit yesterday and got **** on because "OpenXR is so much better", well...

The guide is made for headsets that run SteamVR natively. OpenXR is made for headsets that do not run SteamVR nativelivy, that need a wrapper to work with SteamVR. For Valve Index or Vive, SteamVR is the absolute best performance wise.

I have tested vrpefkit vs openXr with same (or better to say similar) setup with ffr 30% and 61% and with cas 70%.
like this one:
I cant say which one is better visually as i cant have them running together at same time but i would say that they are similar .... looking at gpu/cpu utilization/power consumption its also looking very like. I will stay on vrperfkit for simplicity of use

I usually have a frametime around 8 - 10 ms (so 90 fps nearly always) but very often I have microstutter (in STeamVR I can see red spikes in the performance overlay). Nearly always in curves or near the pit stop.

cant figure what that is. I noticed scrolling down some website in Chrome, makes ACC stutter in the background and dropping roughly 20-30 fps..

10700K@5.1GHZ, 32GB RAM@3800MHZ, 4090

Last edited:
I usually have a frametime around 8 - 10 ms (so 90 fps nearly always) but very often I have microstutter (in STeamVR I can see red spikes in the performance overlay). Nearly always in curves or near the pit stop.

cant figure what that is.

Well, this is probably not very helpful but i had this exact same issue with my 9700k@5GHz and i always believed it is related to the engine and could not be fixed.

Didn't matter if i set everything to low or if i was hotlapping or driving against ai.

What ultimately fixed it was a 13700k (paired with a 4090 and 6400MHz DDR5), with that i get 90Hz all the time, even when racing 29 ai drivers on Nürburgring and pretty good settings.

I think ACC runs even a bit better with DDR4 so you could use that memory.

Never believed it is possible but i can have races with a full field of ai now and not get a single frametimespike, its incredibly smooth.

Last edited:
yeah but I have an RTX 4090 and an 10700K @ 5.2 GHZ and Samsung B-Die @ 3800MHZ (DDR4) with low clocks....

well upgrading maybe thats the solution.

when I play on the 4k Display i can crank everything up and have nearly stable 120 fps.. its just in VR where it struggles to keep 90 fps even on lower settings ...

Last edited:
It is not a bad cpu, don't get me wrong.

You can check wether it is a cpu bottleneck or a gpu limitation but i doubt it is the latter given you also use a rtx 4090.

It is completely possible that something on your side is borked, if i can't fix behavior like that i would try a fresh windows install as a last resort.

You could also try the usual stuff: run windows high performance powerplan and disable energy saving features in the bios (Sometimes these can cause rather small performance issues), set gpu to maximum power.

VR is more stressfull for the cpu than pancake.

If is indeed a performance limitation, i believe a 5800x3d should also be great, if not better in ACC, but i could not test that one myself.

Last edited:
I Just added a 11.1 ms frame - in steamVR options. that helped.

1669570456540.png

cant figure what that is. I noticed scrolling down some website in Chrome, makes ACC stutter in the background and dropping roughly 20-30 fps..

10700K@5.1GHZ, 32GB RAM@3800MHZ, 4090
Let me guess, are you on W11 by any chance? Could be that.
Did you have the same issue on W10?

Can you double check your ram speed in the task manager, maybe post a printscreen of your taskmanager, the memory section, then i can probably help you further.

yes its W11!

in the bios its 3600 ddr4 samsungb die xmp (Clock timings 16)

1669813552651.png

1669813708301.png

both screens - while ACC was active in VR. its in german but CPU all 8 cores run at max 5.1 GHZ (they clock down a little if not needed)

with those settings I can play everything maxed at 200%:

right eye capture:

micro stutter occurs sometimes, often when I look sideways in the pitstop towards the parked cars and drive slowly I can see the cars stuttering!

Last edited:
Im tired of trying. I have 4080rtc OC, en AMD Ryzen 5900x, 32gb 3600Mhz. Im still not satisfied. I hit 90 fps with the VRpefkit guide. But fps is not stable at all with online races. When I lower some settings, it looks very blurry. I hope I find playable settings somehow.

I use HP Reverb G2 btw

Last edited:
Im tired of trying. I have 4080rtc OC, en AMD Ryzen 5900x, 32gb 3600Mhz. Im still not satisfied. I hit 90 fps with the VRpefkit guide. But fps is not stable at all with online races. When I lower some settings, it looks very blurry. I hope I find playable settings somehow.

I use HP Reverb G2 btw
Hey,

VRPerfKit is good for SteamVR native headsets (Index, Vive, Pimax etc), you should follow the guide, but instead of using VRPerfKit, use OpenXR!

It works perfect for me with the new vrperfkit and the original egine.ini

Thank you so much for this guide!

RTX3060ti (using a fraction lower setting than the guide)
HP Reverb G2
Ryzen 7 5800X
32GB @ 3600MHz

Hey,

VRPerfKit is good for SteamVR native headsets (Index, Vive, Pimax etc), you should follow the guide, but instead of using VRPerfKit, use OpenXR!
Hmm, haven´t tried online races yet.

So you rather recommend using Open XR Toolkit 1.2.2 for foveated rendering with the Reverb G2?

Steam VR settings remain the same?

I don´t want to go through open composite because I experienced a lot of crashes using it :/

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back