ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
nice one for taking the time to dislike my comment @kunos :) but to me it does seem like you sold out and dont have as much say as you allegedly claim you have. why the need to get a game out in a 2 year time frame when your previous projects have never been developed so quickly. i like ACC..i bought it early access day 1 as assetto corsa imo is the best sim that i have ever driven. it made me buy all new hardware and purchase all the DLC. i as a customer just feel unreal engine 4 was a poor choice even if it was yours. a custom engine would of suited your needs better and you wouldnt have to beg for features like triple screen from a dev (EPIC games) who have quite clearly shown from their recent track record that they are only interested in features for their engine that benefits Fortnite, even though they are meant to be selling an engine with full support for 3rd party devs as was originally stated when unreal engine 4 was launched.
i have discussed this with many other people who use AC as well. maybe you can prove me wrong in the future. maybe triple screen support will come and multiplayer that the people want.

Imagine getting pissed off over a tame opinion of a video game module so much, you'll low level threaten somebody with death.

Are you gonna go through with that threat or are you sitting behind the pc trying to make me scared?

Btw Your post is screenshot.
THIS WAS STRICTLY A FIGURATIVE RESPONSE.

Dude, we are here exchanging OPINIONS.

What I wanted to stress is you put a developer in to the defensive part.
And you did it ON PURPOSE.
What reactions does you prefer?

If you don't understand why people say that IRacing costs way too much, it also means the problems isn't on the side of the people who say it is, but rather on your perspective of what is acceptable or not.

Feel free to keep on paying for IRacing, but at the same time have the respect that many many simracers find it overpriced...simply because it is. Raking in thousands to tenthousands of currency just to be provide an online server service is just insanity and has little to do with paying for a service.

I get your point and I am in complete agreement. For some perspective though, if you want to hear about complete online insanity, I used to play online poker for a living and I was paying those greedy &^%$'s upwards of £5000 a MONTH in rake to play on some virtual poker tables. Yes you did read that right! The reason they could get away with it, is that it was a stealth tax, the noobs don't give a f$%& about the $2 rake that gets taken when they win a $100 pot. Do this over thousands of hands and you get to your $5k bill.

And this is strictly why you’ll get a rope around your neck, just saying...
And this right here, ladies and gentlemen, is the worst kind of fanboy.
You're not only doing a disservice for Kunos and ACC, but the sim racing community in general.

I almost never vote for bans on people as I think anyone can exercise their rights to be a-holes, but resorting to this kind of comment is deserving of at least an ignore/block, and that is also a rare occurrence for me.

Either way I reported your comment. I don't know if you'll be banned or not (hopefully you will), but please at least take a moment to cool off and rethink your strategies in life.

And this right here, ladies and gentlemen, is the worst kind of fanboy.
You're not only doing a disservice for Kunos and ACC, but the sim racing community in general.

I almost never vote for bans on people as I think anyone can exercise their rights to be a-holes, but resorting to this kind of comment is deserving of at least an ignore/block, and that is also a rare occurrence for me.

Either way I reported your comment. I don't know if you'll be banned or not (hopefully you will), but please at least take a moment to cool off and rethink your strategies in life.
If you cannot stand the immediate and fund replays, don’t join them!

Yes, we seem to be discussing the opinions of I should be either sued or getting hanged because you really took a measured, well contextualised, video about something in a video game that was asked many times, in the most adult of ways.

All of it course is made evident as there's an issue now about the single thing I was requesting info for 10months.

But please tell me how that "its just a joke bro" is not impacting the image of the acc fan base?

Fun times.

Guys if you are having difficulties having a mature discussion, take a breather, go out for a walk and rethink what you are actually wanting to contribute to a discussion.

Threats as such aren't allowed here and will result in your membership be terminated for a while, as happened now.

Again, behave...

I agree with RandomCallsign and GamerMuscle this just doesn't meet my own definition of matchmaking whatsoever. Project cars 2 system was an improvement over just nothing, but in practice it hasn't worked. We know that SRS's system does work, we know iRacings works to all bring decent levels of racing. We also know that a lot of public random pickup games do not deliver good racing. Matchmaking matters in sim racing, it really matters, it makes or breaks whether you can get a decent race out of a game. It might now be the singularly most important aspect of any sim intending to be online at all.

I think Kunos decided they didn't have time to build the feature and decided to misdirect people into thinking the server list was actually matchmaking, rather than developing what they originally intended as releasing was more imortant than delivering their commitments to their Early Access backers. Its false marketing, I don't buy that what they are intending is matchmaking at all, I think that its obviously true, as none of the elements are there (automatically selecting appropriate opponents and putting you into a race with them).

It isn't just about the marketing failure, this will make ACC online dead in the same way PC2 is dead online. You can get a race, but really what it takes to get a good one is to league up or join some organised games. The fact is the community at large works around this problem for a lot of games and if ACC doesn't support modding then the best it can be is league based and then I think it just doesn't have the content.

Short answer: matchmaking in the iRacing/SRS sense is too expensive.
Long answer from Minolin: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...tiplayer-structure.56833/page-35#post-1048452
Another user there estimated roughly that based on that data it would cost about 18€/month. What's the price of the other sim that is "ripping off" everyone?

Tldr from minolin: too expensive...
My question is surely you would work out those costs in your business model before you go to press promising matchmaking?

I get your point and I am in complete agreement. For some perspective though, if you want to hear about complete online insanity, I used to play online poker for a living and I was paying those greedy &^%$'s upwards of £5000 a MONTH in rake to play on some virtual poker tables. Yes you did read that right! The reason they could get away with it, is that it was a stealth tax, the noobs don't give a f$%& about the $2 rake that gets taken when they win a $100 pot. Do this over thousands of hands and you get to your $5k bill.

Well, not much I can say about that besides thumbs up for your honesty, but I'd never fall for that kind of s**t. If people with money to spare do that, by all means, rock yourselves out and be happy, but you understood that not means it's a normal way of doing business.

And that's a step forward, the moment more customers understand the true value of their money in comparison to their reward (fun, money, services winkwink,...) is all up to the purchaser but a healthy price vs product relation should always be the baseline between the 2 parties. Cause one can't live without the other.

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • Thursday

Votes: 14 12.4%
  • Friday

Votes: 42 37.2%
  • Saturday

Votes: 64 56.6%