ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Those estimates are purely defensive to avoid criticism. The same type of defense of "we are not getting any information because of it's EA/you need to have faith".
Why, although you have been proven wrong with your statement Kunos promised to provide an iRacing like system, are you still here complaining?
Do you need money, get a real job.
Are you bored, get a purpose in life.

But no, it’s easier to complain via narcissistic YT to make a claim no one backed up to begin with...

Sad soul!

Some of the math is... misleading. Which is past the point anyways. If the cost is the reason why they don't want to do a matchmaker then why did they say they are going to have "a complete matchmaker"? If it costs too much and they have known it all along then they should have said they are not going to do a matchmaker back in october.

I have to add this as I found it funny:
The point is we cannot simply offer infrastructure in a modder's way (including myself with MR). There you seek the cheapest solution without any kind of redudancy, support or any hint if you can still offer the same in 2 years. Looking at the current outbreak, imagine what would happen if we have to show up at the end of the year and tell you "sorry, the cheap stuff we found closed down/locked us out and our price model doesn't allow to go on" (and I would totally understand it). It wouldn't be an ambigous "promise" that can be understood either way - it would be something that evidently was there and used. So the price you have to calculate is not the cheapest solution you can find, but the reliable one. We may agree on that a state-of-the-art fallback would be something like AWS/Azure (at least that was already suggested).
And what is their state of the art solution for acc multiplayer? It is random lobbies hosted by random 3rd party people on their own dime accessed though console ui.

Last edited:
Some of the math is... misleading. Which is past the point anyways. If the cost is the reason why they don't want to do a matchmaker then why did they say they are going to have "a complete matchmaker"? If it costs too much and they have known it all along then they should have said they are not going to do a matchmaker back in october.
Are you for real, going round and round in circles?
At least offer a new argument.
If not, rest quite, please!

Why, although you have been proven wrong with your statement Kunos promised to provide an iRacing like system, are you still here complaining?
I never said they "Kunos promised to provide an iRacing like system,". In reality, my position since the beginning (we are talking about 10months ago) was that Kunos needed to define and show what they wanted to deliver for MP. And as you can see, there's now a fair deal of backlash when the definition of "matchmaking" is a server browser.

But no, it’s easier to complain via narcissistic YT to make a claim no one backed up to begin with...

Sad soul!
It's fairly easy to complain, yes. It's far difficult to construct and understand arguments being put through.
Still, here you are, putting your flows unto me.

I never said they "Kunos promised to provide an iRacing like system,". In reality, my position since the beginning (we are talking about 10months ago) was that Kunos needed to define and show what they wanted to deliver for MP. And as you can see, there's now a fair deal of backlash when the definition of "matchmaking" is a server browser.

It's fairly easy to complain, yes. It's far difficult to construct and understand arguments being put through.
Still, here you are, putting your flows unto me.
Do you know what you and that other unbearable “Voice of Simracing”, that so called GamerMuscle are doing out there?
You don’t have to have a degree in phsychology to understand this...
You do channel the public opinion very obviously.
And both of you did a mismatching Display about what was called and what was delivered.
Both, without a certain bias, where the same. YOU DID GET WHAT YOU WHERE TOLD!
Yet you still insist to be a naysayer, for WHAT EVER REASON.
I would sue the crap out of you.

Short answer: matchmaking in the iRacing/SRS sense is too expensive.

Mh let's be precise: What I did there is just to extend a few ideas and proposals and think them through (by looking at a limited set of aspects). Actually the only "relevant" number in this writeup is the bandwidth figure for a server, though it is public as well. All the other conclusions are just using public tools and calculations everybody could have done.

What I was trying to say is "it's not always as easy and cheap as it looks", no judgement in the category "is too expensive". I just wanted to offer a different perspective especially on SRS; Lino commented the same in this very thread.

Of course!!! That´s what they sold in the begining.

And who is trusting them after this massive lie called ACC???

They have just shoot a bullet in their feet selling this...

See you on track!!!
We don't know if this lie comes from them, or from their not-so-new boss, 505...
Yes, it is disappointing but at the end of the day, they are running a business and I wouldn't say they are worst than other editors. At least, they charge much smaller :)

We don't know if this lie comes from them, or from their not-so-new boss, 505...
Yes, it is disappointing but at the end of the day, they are running a business and I wouldn't say they are worst than other editors. At least, they charge much smaller :)
Matchmaking IS NOT A LIE.
Just don’t be confident EA or any other AAA company claim a copyright on that elusive term!
...gosh, Simracers

Do you know what you and that other unbearable “Voice of Simracing”, that so called GamerMuscle are doing out there?
He's drinking Tea , I'm drinking a superior beverage called coffee. Accept no substitutes.
And both of you did a mismatching Display about what was called and what was delivered.
Both, without a certain bias, where the same. YOU DID GET WHAT YOU WHERE TOLD!
I sure as hell haven't totally. I bought it to support Kunos, and to get a good driving game. In this I got it. But that alone isn't the value proposition of the game, which in this case, I haven't at all: *matchmaking*. That's why, over 10months I have asked with "You do channel the public opinion very obviously" for it to be defined. Now, it was and it's not matchmaking.

Yet you still insist to be a naysayer, for WHAT EVER REASON.
Because in my mind, and bear with me here because this idea might be kind of radical, just because I bought a game and criticize it, doesn't mean I want to kill it with napalm or don't enjoy parts of it, or just because I praise a game doesn't mean I'm going to give a reacharound to the devs, which seems to be a very popular POV nowadays.

I would sue the crap out of you.
Then, make yourself useful: compile the arguments, pass them to Kunos so they can do it.
You don't really believe me when I say, if you think I'm being damaging for ACC, any viewer to this conversation, that doesn't have any meat in the game will think the same, or even worse of you.

He's drinking Tea , I'm drinking a superior beverage called coffee. Accept no substitutes.

I sure as hell haven't totally. I bought it to support Kunos, and to get a good driving game. In this I got it. But that alone isn't the value proposition of the game, which in this case, I haven't at all: *matchmaking*. That's why, over 10months I have asked with "You do channel the public opinion very obviously" for it to be defined. Now, it was and it's not matchmaking.

Because in my mind, and bear with me here because this idea might be kind of radical, just because I bought a game and criticize it, doesn't mean I want to kill it with napalm or don't enjoy parts of it, or just because I praise a game doesn't mean I'm going to give a reacharound to the devs, which seems to be a very popular POV nowadays.

Then, make yourself useful: compile the arguments, pass them to Kunos so they can do it.
You don't really believe me when I say, if I think I'm being damaging for ACC, any viewer to this conversation, that doesn't have any meat in the game will think the same, or even worse of you.
And for that you should be put before a judge even more!
No one, explicitly said: NO ONE, promised what your dillusion filled mind came up with.
Not in the slightest.
And now you are up for a crussade...

And for that you should be put before a judge even more!
No one, explicitly said: NO ONE, promised what your dillusion filled mind came up with.
Not in the slightest.
And now you are up for a crussade...
then you shouldn't have a problem exercising that god given right and pass that info to Kunos.

But then, I also read this from Kunos site:
ADVANCED MULTIPLAYER FUNCTIONALITY

A well-structured ranking system will evaluate individual performance and driving behaviour to reward the most virtuous drivers and promote fair play in online competitions. **The matchmaking function makes sure that you can compete with opponents of similar skill level and easily find online races to join**, while the leaderboards will allow you to compare single-lap performance with virtual pilots from around the world with the same car, circuit and weather conditions.

It's more complicated than that, isn't it?
Apparently, a lot of people thought it would be a matchmaking service similar to ones already existing. Minolin on his post also acknowledged that a lot of people understood as a matchmaking system.
That's why I have been for so long asking what it was meant by it. You can't act all surprised when people took matchmaking as matchmaking.

then you shouldn't have a problem exercising that god given right and pass that info to Kunos.

But then, I also read this from Kunos site:
ADVANCED MULTIPLAYER FUNCTIONALITY

A well-structured ranking system will evaluate individual performance and driving behaviour to reward the most virtuous drivers and promote fair play in online competitions. **The matchmaking function makes sure that you can compete with opponents of similar skill level and easily find online races to join**, while the leaderboards will allow you to compare single-lap performance with virtual pilots from around the world with the same car, circuit and weather conditions.

It's more complicated than that, isn't it?
Apparently, a lot of people thought it would be a matchmaking service similar to ones already existing. Minolin on his post also acknowledged that a lot of people understood as a matchmaking system.
That's why I have been for so long asking what it was meant by it. You can't act all surprised when people took matchmaking as matchmaking.
Oh may, you are really doing circle jerk here...
Now accept you being wrong, and strictly said way out of your legal comfort zone! Be warned, lad!

I don't know that matchmaking and an SRS like service is all that necessary all the time. I can only see organised races being useful for longer races, doing an hour rather than 20 minutes means you kind of need to plan to have that time free. Most people are just dropping in and out of 20 minute races.

I do feel like 20 minutes isn't enough time for a GT race. I'd much prefer to be doing longer races.

ACC is still pretty open which allows for groups like racedepartment to fill the gap, at the end of the day if you want to race like minded people sites like this one are still the best option and I don't see any system changing that any time soon. I've found that the racing is getting better, I think the current system isn't even being fully utilised by most servers that I see.

I think Kunos have laid solid groundwork with the current system, it's not all things to all people but it's a step in that direction.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.