ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
BTW, "a random callsign" (YouTube) also did a nice video on this.
Good to see the sim racing celebrities joining efforts to speak up about this.
Now all that is left is Nicki Thiim, Jardier, Jimmy Broadbent, and some more to bring attention to this.
Then maybe, just maybe, with a little bit of pressure, Kunos will hire the guy behind SRS and actually bring somewhat of a competition to ACC.
Im not a celebrity. I have no clout in simracing. I just have a channel, some people watch it and most disagree with I have to say about this subject.

ACC Approx 15 GT3 cars,10 tracks.Cost £35
Iracing 6 GT3 cars(2 very old ones),10 tracks,Iracing annual sub £100 .Cost approx £350

Sim racers need to understand that if you want something substantial that functions you have to pay for it.
iracing (just paid for 3/m) is terribly overpriced the real dance with funds starts after first payment where each car cost more then 10$ and then tracks omg each cost extra as well more then even cars themselfs

kunos should of never of sold out to 505 games as from the interview Marco said that AC graphic engine took years to develop and this time it would not of been feasible to take that amount of time to create a new engine so they went with unreal 4. that translates to me as 505 call the shots and publisher pressure meant they had to churn out a new product quick. shouldnt of sold out in my opinion..but hey..im not driven by money like 99.9% of the worlds population. if they had of stayed independent im sure we would all still be playingh AC till 2020 at least so kunos would of had time to produce a new engine and a better product. dont get me wrong i love ACC but it has too many limitations on unreal 4 RIP modding and SRS :(

iracing (just paid for 3/m) is terribly overpriced the real dance with funds starts after first payment where each car cost more then 10$ and then tracks omg each cost extra as well more then even cars themselfs

I think the trick of iracing is first to work out if it's really for you. For me it was after a couple of years of sim racing and thinking I'd done the AI racing and public servers to death and wanted to know how I matched up in the sim racing world.

The second part is to view it on the same level as a hardware purchase. So grab a half price year sub, set aside another 200 for content, and the whole process becomes a lot less egregious and annoyingly piecemeal.

Game to game it's expensive of course, but if you view it as your next step it's value becomes apparent. Enjoy your time with it anyway :)

Anyway, Sunday night, 9pm, Steam
Assetto Corsa 3,200 in-game
rF2 980 in-game
ACC 582 in-game
tells a story, though it doesn't suggest an improved single player and server list can't work (re AC), just that you might be missing a lot of potential.

Last edited:
I have zero clout in the simracing world ;)
I would not downplay the impact of posts like these or Youtubers content if the criticism is constructive & if a lot of people are agreeing or saying the same thing.There may only be a few people posting on this thread or the forum but there are many more reading & people who have an interest in the game would come to RD to get info on ACC just from a Google search.

Please don't downplay yourself. You have a good following and that's what it takes to change the sim racing scene if you play your cards right.

I would not downplay the impact of posts like these or Youtubers content if the criticism is constructive & if a lot of people are agreeing or saying the same thing.There may only be a few people posting on this thread or the forum but there are many more reading & people who have an interest in the game would come to RD to get info on ACC just from a Google search.

I appreciate the words, but in reality it's not downplaying but understanding where it all is at the moment. Sub count is meaningless. It's clout that matters.

most disagree with I have to say about this subject.

I like you bro, but please do not pull a silly victim-card to get sympathy points by saying how most people disagree with your message because it is demonstrably false unless you got more private messages hating on you than the amount of comments on this video LOL. Unless I am missing some juicy drama here that I was not aware of. Because from what I can see, your video on this subject has solid 95-5 like-dislike ratio and "most" people in the comments are applauding you for your speaking what's on their minds. Heck, I just glanced through the comments and found like 3 guys saying they will wait for 1.0 and reserve their judgement till then but that is barely a disagreement... while some are having the time of their life backpatting each other while calling Kunos lazy scammers. :D

I think the different systems (lobbies, srs, scheduled races and leagues) all provide their own unique pros and cons and none of them is ideal just on its own. Public lobbies and the ability to host your own server (plus the server tools that go with it) are important part of the system at basic level as this kind of system gives quick access to racing at any time. This system also makes leagues possible. Some kind of rating added into that is pretty decent solution at basic level. Just like you want an ability to permanently kick or ban a player you want and some kind of filtering system.

The downside of that system is that the car and track variety tends to be very small in this lobby system. Spa/gt3 and nordschleife trackdays and that's it. On its own the system does not create much variety and requires that someone comes and organizes something to specifically use different cars and tracks at certain time slot for example. Srs and iracing systems are great for providing that car and track variety but it comes at the cost of how often you can race. It is very difficult to get many iracing races done without having to wait unless you are willing to drive totally different kind of cars at moment's notice. So for that reason alone these two systems compliment each other very nicely. You get the freedom to do what ever you want but you also have at least those scheduled races.

I think for these reasons fundamentally all of these systems are complementary. A pure iracing style scheduled races system on its on is not good enough. Allowing people to create lobbies is fundamental part of what makes a sim worth playing. Not only does it provide quick access to racing but also makes leagues possible. And special lobbies with someone who is putting in the work to provide better quality racing. But similarly just a pure lobby system on its own has its drawbacks. And iracing is not pure iracing either. They have a system where you can rent a lobby and do your own events and leagues.

I think gamermuscle makes an excellent and totally undervalued point about the progression in any kind of rating system. If the only way to get a high rating is to drive at lowly rated servers then the system collapses pretty quickly if there are no low rated servers where people can progress. Which can result in situation like pcars2 (I'd guess, don't have that game) where the clean rated servers are empty and the full servers have no rating. Which totally kills the rating if people turn it off. And lastly if you look at iracing it does have very clean progression. Not only is it tied to the cars and series you can run but it also makes it clear what the progression path looks.

I like you bro, but please do not pull a silly victim-card to get sympathy points by saying how most people disagree with your message because it is demonstrably false unless you got more private messages hating on you than the amount of comments on this video LOL.
Unless I am missing some juicy drama here that I was not aware of. Because from what I can see, your video on this subject has solid 95-5 like-dislike ratio and "most" people in the comments are applauding you for your speaking what's on their minds. Heck, I just glanced through the comments and found like 3 guys saying they will wait for 1.0 and reserve their judgement till then but that is barely a disagreement... while some are having the time of their life backpatting each other while calling Kunos lazy scammers. :D

If that came across like that, it wasn't my objective. What I mean is that I'm in different communities, forums and discords and people are of a diametrically different opinion to my own. Not in the case "I disagree directly with him", but the position they put across is one that disagrees with what I have to say.

Also, videos are generally self-reporting, self-serving biases for viewers. At the most, those people agree in that video, but If I had to go back when I started talking about the subject it was a completely different thing ;)

So when I say that I don't have clout, I really don't.

Wow. Have they not heard from sim racers? They want iRacing-like, scheduled, regular racing infrastructure. SRS gets this, too.

Totally willing to give them a break for a 1.0 release but from the quote it sounds like they don't intend this at all.

I'm willing to let 1.0 rollout and see what multiplayer is like but I'm disappointed, if I'm honest.

The value of an iRacing-like platform is the sheer convenience of finding a grid of like-skilled drivers at almost any time of day in a way that doesn't require any searching or wondering about different metrics of multiplayer servers like number of players, passwords, team-only servers, servers with odd rules, etc.

They have a huge opportunity here to do what iRacing and SRS has shown is the most popular way of doing it.

I absolutely hope they reconsider it for follow-up releases but if they haven't even thought of the logistics this far then it will be a long time coming. These things are not simple.

If they dont give iracing style multiplayer xperience this sim will be a great failure, i would stick with AC and AMS-rf2 in that case.

And i have to say that the physics of AC sometimes are much better....Anyone agrees on this?

It's a bit puzzling for sure. You're releasing a series specific game that will be very difficult to mod and without a robust match making system. What is the suppose to give it shelf life?

I'm sure I'll enjoy ACC especially at the early release price I picked it up for but I'm not sure if this is just a R&D and funding platform for AC2.

It's a bit puzzling for sure. You're releasing a series specific game that will be very difficult to mod and without a robust match making system. What is the suppose to give it shelf life?

I'm sure I'll enjoy ACC especially at the early release price I picked it up for but I'm not sure if this is just a R&D and funding platform for AC2.

Making money for the owners (505). Specially because 90% of the selling figures were made when the first version was released when ppl had an idea and hope on what it could become. Dont think they will sell much more for now on. Ahh wait, still have the console port.

Sad but true.

Everybody has its own expectations.
I personally have limited time to practise and race.

This is why I gave up with the online championships .
And of course this is why I will never subscribe iracing.
I have an SRS account, but again I dont race there for the same reasons.

For me the club race here at racedepartment are ideal for a very low fee. And I can enter all the race I want with any simulation.

If ACC becomes very popular, it will be maybe à good idea to take in account of the rating system to build up the servers. What else ?

KUNOS are not making what they said and they know that many of the ones that bought the game expected organized multiplayer......tey are playing games with us and we are not racing organized multiplayer action with them it seems .....sad

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.