ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Here's the thing in marketing. When you accuse a fair number of people of misunderstanding open-worded statements and vague language, you have already lost.
Marketing tends to be open worded statements and vague language. Kunos don't really have a marketing department and have invested very little in traditional marketing. They've told us what they planed to achieve avoiding definitive statements about features that the game might have at the end of development.

That's a completely fair way of informing us, it is very much other peoples problem if they read too much into those vague open worded statements, and I'm pretty certain those people are in a minority.

Small companies can't afford to do cleaver or expensive marketing, they don't have access to the research into human behaviour that large corporations have, there's no comparison between a small company and a predatory corporation when it comes to marketing. People seem to assume once a company is set up the people involved somehow turn into caricatures of business people willing to do anything for money. That kind of detachment from common decency only really happens in a corporate setting.

You're reading too much between the lines and adding 2+2 to get hamburgers. Companies generally aren't out to screw people, they try their best to deal with a diverse range of people and generally they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

You haven't even tried ACC so you don't know whether it's worth it or not. I can tell you from my point of view it is, I don't get to play the sim more than once a month and every time I've gone back the quality of races has improved.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have to admit without actually trying the game your opinion here is kind of baseless.

Marketing tends to be open worded statements and vague language. Kunos don't really have a marketing department and have invested very little in traditional marketing. They've told us what they planed to achieve avoiding definitive statements about features that the game might have at the end of development.

That's a completely fair way of informing us, it is very much other peoples problem if they read too much into those vague open worded statements, and I'm pretty certain those people are in a minority.

Small companies can't afford to do cleaver or expensive marketing, they don't have access to the research into human behaviour that large corporations have, there's no comparison between a small company and a predatory corporation when it comes to marketing. People seem to assume once a company is set up the people involved somehow turn into caricatures of business people willing to do anything for money. That kind of detachment from common decency only really happens in a corporate setting.

You're reading too much between the lines and adding 2+2 to get hamburgers. Companies generally aren't out to screw people, they try their best to deal with a diverse range of people and generally they have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

You haven't even tried ACC so you don't know whether it's worth it or not. I can tell you from my point of view it is, I don't get to play the sim more than once a month and every time I've gone back the quality of races has improved.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you have to admit without actually trying the game your opinion here is kind of baseless.
What do you mean he didn’t try the game? :O_o:
Look at YT
He’s just a spoiled brat, throwing his toys out of the pram.
And all because he cannot read properly...

Marketing tends to be open worded statements and vague language.
When selling a product as an experience, yes, not when informing about particular functions of the product.
Kunos don't really have a marketing department and have invested very little in traditional marketing. They've told us what they planed to achieve avoiding definitive statements about features that the game might have at the end of development.
Here's the grub. That's not an excuse. A lack of a PR department does not give a blank check to what can be considered misleading statements.

It's not "reading way too much into something" when people read "matchmaking" and then expect matchmaking.
Server browser is not matchmaking.

His post starts with him saying he doesn't do EA programs.

Then he also is a liar.

And here's why all the hostility exists. You don't know jack. Not only what consists about matchmaking proper, but matchmaking in *context* of simracing, let alone my positions regarding the game, my experience with it, even my opinions about it. You are absolutely ignorant and falling into the preconceived idea hearsay hate machine that comes from a specific circle jerk group.

I have bought and pre-ordered ACC the first day it went on Steam. I have tested, streamed and provided videos of all builds in my channel.
My opinion of this game never steered too much of: drives great, Kunos delivers excellent content. I personally don't like the Jag.

The *only* point of contention that I've had with the game since it was first shown was the lack of clarification of simracing features, most especially around competitive multiplayer. Since then I have asked to be clarified over and over again.
On my video overview of Build6 I state *directly* that *most likely* the MP will be centered around a Server Browser but that still require clarification from Kunos.

I was proven exactly correct when a rather large group of people felt confused, betrayed or lied to when the matchmaking functionality ended up being a server browser.

You lot do chunter a lot of weapons grade crap about what is matchmaking and what is my position when you have zero experience or first usage of matchmaking functionalities in simracing particularly and have zero knowledge of my position.
It's sad, but not surprising.

When selling a product as an experience, yes, not when informing about particular functions of the product.

Here's the grub. That's not an excuse. A lack of a PR department does not give a blank check to what can be considered misleading statements.

It's not "reading way too much into something" when people read "matchmaking" and then expect matchmaking.
Server browser is not matchmaking.

And here's why all the hostility exists. You don't know jack. Not only what consists about matchmaking proper, but matchmaking in *context* of simracing, let alone my positions regarding the game, my experience with it, even my opinions about it. You are absolutely ignorant and falling into the preconceived idea hearsay hate machine that comes from a specific circle jerk group.

I have bought and pre-ordered ACC the first day it went on Steam. I have tested, streamed and provided videos of all builds in my channel.
My opinion of this game never steered too much of: drives great, Kunos delivers excellent content. I personally don't like the Jag.

The *only* point of contention that I've had with the game since it was first shown was the lack of clarification of simracing features, most especially around competitive multiplayer. Since then I have asked to be clarified over and over again.
On my video overview of Build6 I state *directly* that *most likely* the MP will be centered around a Server Browser but that still require clarification from Kunos.

I was proven exactly correct when a rather large group of people felt confused, betrayed or lied to when the matchmaking functionality ended up being a server browser.

You lot do chunter a lot of weapons grade crap about what is matchmaking and what is my position when you have zero experience or first usage of matchmaking functionalities in simracing particularly and have zero knowledge of my position.
It's sad, but not surprising.
If you look around in the gaming scene you find numerous definitions of “matchmaking”, and no one is OFFICAL.
you are just delusional in your own way. Ignored.

Probably has been said in the past 10 pages or maybe in your videos but what is the general consensus on what simracing matchmaking is supposed to be?

The practical examples already existing are points of reference: iRacing, GTSport or Simracing system. Essentially a system that pools up drivers and divides them into splits based on various ratings, like safety rating and/or skill rating.

The practical examples already existing are points of reference: iRacing, GTSport or Simracing system. Essentially a system that pools up drivers and divides them into splits based on various ratings, like safety rating and/or skill rating.
So the controlled schedule aspect is what you feel is missing? As far as pooling up drivers of similar pace and safetyness the current system will do that as far as I know?

something heavily boasted as a MM function

I might be a bit out of touch with the marketing side of things.. but, as far as I remember we are talking about some "one liner" on the very first roadmaps for ACC.
I'd adventure to say that calling that "heavily" anything is perhaps trying to bend reality in order to make your narrative more compelling.. maybe, or maybe not.

I might be a bit out of touch with the marketing side of things.. but, as far as I remember we are talking about some "one liner" on the very first roadmaps for ACC.
I'd adventure to say that calling that "heavily" anything is perhaps trying to bend reality in order to make your narrative more compelling.. maybe, or maybe not.
Pssst, he’s going to nail you that “one liner” still exists on your webpage....
Like a rab Terrier...

Last edited by a moderator:
So the controlled schedule aspect is what you feel is missing? As far as pooling up drivers of similar pace and safetyness the current system will do that as far as I know?
Doesn't need to have a controlled schedule.
In the context of simracing, the MM function serves both as a meta-game for driver progression and an emulation of certain racing aspects, such as forcing tracks and conditions. Also, splitting up the drivers avoids to create the situation of saturating the only available server.
The driver only sees the front end. The back end does the sorting. The driver doesn't need to worry about the server being full (except in the case of SRS due to capacity constraints).

This is how the main competitive games work outside simracing. This is how simracing MM works.

This doesn't exclude the browser existing (and removing the browser would be an error)

It's not. It's still on your website to this day.
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/roadmap/
"
  • All the Officially Licensed 2018 and 2019** Blancpain GT Series cars, teams and circuits.
  • All game modes including: Career, Championship, Single and Multiplayer.
  • Complete Rating and Matchmaking System."
https://www.assettocorsa.net/competizione/
ADVANCED MULTIPLAYER FUNCTIONALITY

A well-structured ranking system will evaluate individual performance and driving behaviour to reward the most virtuous drivers and promote fair play in online competitions. The matchmaking function makes sure that you can compete with opponents of similar skill level and easily find online races to join, while the leaderboards will allow you to compare single-lap performance with virtual pilots from around the world with the same car, circuit and weather conditions.

You can't really blame people for taking those MM quotes based on their experience of it. Hence, the necessity of clarification being so important.
The sooner it was addressed the lesser the issue.

Pssst, he’s going to nail you that “one liner” still exists on your webpage....
Like a scab Terrier...

that's totally fine.. I was thinking that perhaps I've missed some other kind of marketing campaign, interviews or even forum blog promising we were going to deliver what he says we should deliver... which, again, it's totally possible and would justify the "heavily boasted" terminology.

So there simply cannot be another take on matchmaking? And remember, only matchmaking. You seem to mix it with some competitive organized races, going after people saying they dont know anything and you are the truth and only accepted opinion.
Here is again, go read and learn: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ts-dont-work-at-all.56413/page-2#post-1049431
There are many of us who are fine with it and think that it is clearly matchmaking. You just fail to accept the fact that there are other opinions and other ways to do something.
And about the marketing, heavily boosted, oh really?

It's not. It's still on your website to this day.

so that's it?

This paragraph (which btw describe pretty well what we are delivering):

A well-structured ranking system will evaluate individual performance and driving behaviour to reward the most virtuous drivers and promote fair play in online competitions. The matchmaking function makes sure that you can compete with opponents of similar skill level and easily find online races to join, while the leaderboards will allow you to compare single-lap performance with virtual pilots from around the world with the same car, circuit and weather conditions.

is what made you conclude that we were going to deliver an iR-like system?

You are basing your entire crusade on that?
And, also, that, in your view, is a "heavily boasted marketing campaign"? A paragraph on a website?

Last edited:
so that's it?

This paragraph (which btw describe pretty well what we are delivering):

You are basing your entire crusade on that?
And, also, that, in your view, is a "heavily boasted marketing campaign"? A paragraph on a website?
Now you are overloading his 2 brain cells!
He already showed the whole sim racing world he didn’t understand what was written there...

so that's it?

This paragraph:

You are basing your entire crusader on that?
  • Complete Rating and Matchmaking System.
Based on the history of multiplayer matchmaking, the current landscape of multiplayer matchmaking out and in simracing, it's an absolutely natural thing to understand that ACC would very likely have something in the region of iRacing, or SimRacing System or GtSport . Doesn't need to be exact, but those are the natural expectations due to consumer familiarity to modern MM functionalities, and you can't really expect people to think otherwise when the language is vague in one instance and clearly says Complete Rating and Matchmaking System, on another. Consumers *do* look for points of reference when talking about specific well established features.

You can't really expect people not to understand matchmaking to current points of reference *when you did not ever made it absolutely clear what it was*.

So there simply cannot be another take on matchmaking?
Sure, as long as we aren't pushing the meaning of the words, to mean something that does not make matches, you can do whatever.

well I think everything is clear, at least on my side.

For our next games I'll try to make sure our marketing and PR department is aware that we are not only responsible for the things we write but also for the things that people like you might come up with on your own.

at the end I'd say it has been a productive exchange, I now understand much more about your position and mental approach, and I thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea