A Simracing Wheel That Works In A GT3?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Recently German sim racing hardware giants Fanatec announced an interesting new collaboration with BMW to develop a replica sim racing wheel... that isn't a replica, but actually works in the real car!

Yes you heard that right, the newly announced BMW Fanatec wheel has been created to work in both the real and virtual world, meaning that for the very first time sim racers will have the opportunity to use hardware on their rigs at home that is identical to the wheel attached to the latest GT3 specification race cars from the Bavarian marque.

unnamed.jpg

The announcement piece from Fanatec got me thinking, with the worlds of real and virtual racing seemingly converging ever closer in recent months, how big is this announcement for our sport? To see a brand as prestigious as BMW engaging with the powerhouse that is Fanatec to produce a crossover piece of hardware like this is something rather incredible, and can only mean exciting things for the future of hardware development at the very highest end of the market.

Think back 10 or even 20 years ago, playing with a plastic wheel on the old Xbox with it tightly pinned onto the sofa by your knees, and how far hardware has travelled in such a short space of time is almost crazy to comprehend.

This announcement, aside from being very, very cool in its own right, is potentially massive for our hobby. BMW themselves consider esport to be a key pillar in their motorsport adventures going forward, both in terms of competitions and hardware, and that extra influx of prestige and obviously exposure can only be a great thing for our community going forward.

Real cars using sim racing wheels, at the top level of international GT racing. Yup. We live in strange but absolutely wonderful times.

Fanatec BMW announcement | Read more HERE.

What do you make of the new announcement? Interested to see how the wheel performs in the real and virtual world? Do you think this is the start of potentially a golden age for sim racing hardware? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Not sure why this is so amazing. It's just a wheel with some buttons. If the real car can read a USB device then it will work.
I guess because it's the first product to be officially supported in this way. I mean there are tons of wheels which could be adapted but this is the first i've seen where a manufacturer is producing something to work across both worlds.

Upvote 0
I guess because it's the first product to be officially supported in this way. I mean there are tons of wheels which could be adapted but this is the first i've seen where a manufacturer is producing something to work across both worlds.

Just because it is branded like it is....seriously what does this wheel do any better than other midrange/high range rims except for proclaiming it's you know "officially supported" which means nothing.

I officially support the Ferrari F1 team, I have given 0 euros in 30 years towards it. There, my official support, and nobody will be able to question my resolve.

Upvote 0
Not sure why this is so amazing. It's just a wheel with some buttons. As long as the real car can read the button pressed it will work. It will undoubtedly be massively overpriced for sim use.
First: The car can "read" the signals from the wheel via CAN bus.

Second: The price. How many M6 GT3 are built worldwide? Lets say 1000. So 1000 wheels are produced. Forget the wheels you can buy on aftermarket, they won't lessen the price that much.
How many Wheels can Fanatec / BMW produce ans sell worldwide?
This might give you the anser for the price.

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool. I have to hand it to Fanatec, they've done an excellent job creating an ecosystem with incredible wheels from the Porsche to the BMW. That's what had me recently upgrade my DD wheel from an Accuforce. They didn't have a similar ecosystem.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back