A Simracing Wheel That Works In A GT3?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Recently German sim racing hardware giants Fanatec announced an interesting new collaboration with BMW to develop a replica sim racing wheel... that isn't a replica, but actually works in the real car!

Yes you heard that right, the newly announced BMW Fanatec wheel has been created to work in both the real and virtual world, meaning that for the very first time sim racers will have the opportunity to use hardware on their rigs at home that is identical to the wheel attached to the latest GT3 specification race cars from the Bavarian marque.

unnamed.jpg

The announcement piece from Fanatec got me thinking, with the worlds of real and virtual racing seemingly converging ever closer in recent months, how big is this announcement for our sport? To see a brand as prestigious as BMW engaging with the powerhouse that is Fanatec to produce a crossover piece of hardware like this is something rather incredible, and can only mean exciting things for the future of hardware development at the very highest end of the market.

Think back 10 or even 20 years ago, playing with a plastic wheel on the old Xbox with it tightly pinned onto the sofa by your knees, and how far hardware has travelled in such a short space of time is almost crazy to comprehend.

This announcement, aside from being very, very cool in its own right, is potentially massive for our hobby. BMW themselves consider esport to be a key pillar in their motorsport adventures going forward, both in terms of competitions and hardware, and that extra influx of prestige and obviously exposure can only be a great thing for our community going forward.

Real cars using sim racing wheels, at the top level of international GT racing. Yup. We live in strange but absolutely wonderful times.

Fanatec BMW announcement | Read more HERE.

What do you make of the new announcement? Interested to see how the wheel performs in the real and virtual world? Do you think this is the start of potentially a golden age for sim racing hardware? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Well I guess it's kinda cool to know that you're driving the exact same wheel as a real life pro driver in a "higher class" racing series.
It's similar to people wanting laserscanned tracks for tracks they will never race in real life.
And I'm not talking about just "wrong" tracks that seem weird when watching real live videos.

I'm talking about well made non-ls tracks where the only difference is that you can tell yourself that the bumps in the road are exactly identical to the real thing.
Will you ever know the difference when the devs wouldn't tell you?

You'll also never race a real dtm car. But you'll have the same wheel as the real drivers.

Is a laserscanned track cool enough to pay... 10€ for it? I guess...
Is a real steering wheel worth 999€?

Mh.... For some people absolutely, for others definitely not.

I really like the idea of laserscanned tracks tbh. I also like the idea of having a "real" steering wheel.

Liking ideas won't give fanatec my 900+ euros though :whistling:

Upvote 0
This is pretty cool. I have to hand it to Fanatec, they've done an excellent job creating an ecosystem with incredible wheels from the Porsche to the BMW. That's what had me recently upgrade my DD wheel from an Accuforce. They didn't have a similar ecosystem.
Are you joking? You wanted to go from accuforce to Fanatec for their ecosystem? I did the complete opposite. Getting a base that can take real components has been way cheaper. I bought a 15" wheel for $50 when the same costs $300 ata fanatec. And why spend $200 for a fanatec QR when you can get a real one for $20.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Some info posted on Simucube board regarding the "real use" of CAN protocol in simulation environment.
1607563014785.png

1607563065681.png

Upvote 0
Nope, not exciting. This is Fanatec marketing at its best (and curiously, not very different to what they did with the first BMW rim back in 2011). Motorsport solutions are not the best thing for simracing, and not only due to cost. A good example for this are QR units.

Upvote 0
No need for any of this when you drive in VR, you always drive the exact wheel of the car you are driving.
And they say VR is expensive! Amateur's! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Yes, that is true ... you just cannot twist any knobs or press any buttons on your VR Wheel :cry: I want true tactile VR ... you know pull the door handle and get out of the car and walk back to the pits :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Upvote 0
I don’t know I think it’s a bit wide for simracing 300mm is the limit I thank its 310mm
I wouldn't go larger than 320mm and not smaller than 310mm. Personal preference here. Anything below 310 is too small for me and it hurts my wrists and shoulders.

As for the new Fanatec BMW wheel, I don't think it will be made exactly the same as the real one. Fanatec will find ways to reduce the cost and make compromise somewhere.
And in terms of the cost, any steering wheel of this kind for sim racing won't be under 800EU. Whether this wheel is worth it or not, it will depend on how bad you want this. People are prepared to sell their own houses just to get their hands on items that are in love with.

I am BMW fan but I don't like the look and material of this steering wheel. I'd go with aluminium material like Martin Ascher's products. Carbon fiber feels like plastic in comparison. Once again, just my two cents.

Upvote 0
I do like the look of it :), personal preference of course ;) and I would purchase it...but sadly Fanatec is not readily available in my country, as I can go down to my local PC Gaming Store and purchase an array of Thrustmaster products....but it does look good though, have I mentioned that :geek::redface::roflmao:

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back