2020 Virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans (Live Stream)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Welcome to the central discussion thread for the first ever official 24 Hours of Le Mans - virtual edition.

This weekend marks an historic moment for the genre of sim racing, as the WEC, Automobile Club de l'Ouest and Motorsport Games are set to host what could well turn out to be the largest organised virtual race in history - the Le Mans 24 Hours Virtual.

Held as an officially sanctioned event in place of what would have been the real Le Mans 24 Hours this weekend, the race features an incredible selection of official teams, manufacturers and drivers. Two Formula 1 World Champions, three Indy 500 victors and seven outright Le Mans 24 Hour winners join together with some of the finest rFactor 2 sim racers racing side by side with their real world contemporaries .

Held at the beautiful Le Mans circuit in rFactor 2, and making use of the LMP2 and GTE content within the simulation, the race is set to become a high watermark for the increasingly popular esport movement we are experiencing at present.

You can catch all the action live here:

I was watching earlier but had to leave and came back later. I saw Alonso having issues when first in pits, trying to line up the car in the the box slot I guess and now his team (including Rubens Barrichello) are out so what happened does anyone know?

They were given a penalty for the hit on de Silvestro and unfortunately right when they came in for fuel, somehow the game made Alonso take the pnealty but prevented him from taking fuel - he then simply ran out.

Yes, but on the other side I am scared of the EA, Ubisoft, Blizz-Activision effect. When it becomes more popular it can mean studio's going to make it less simulation to cater the mainstream, ie. quick fast races, minimal effort in practicing, hopping from car to car without mastering it , etc.

Maybe, but we've already seen that the thing that drags viewers to the F1 2019 races are the few F1 names, but the game doesn't look as good online. I'm not sure those companies would be able do much good with it.
Though, I guess some EA bosses regrets getting rid of F1 and NASCAR now!

@SeriousNewb He crashed, went pits to refuel, got d/p, but it bugged out and couldn't refuel, so he had to do another lap which he ran out of fuel.

Edit: Perhaps I am wrong but I do not see any yellows or full yellows. That is kinda a bummer. It can spice up stuff a bit without drivers falling asleep.

Edit2: Red flag at the moment.

Alonso got assigned a penalty by race control when he was going to pit. The game serves the penalty first, then you need to do another lap. He didn't have enough fuel, and that was that for the team. They'll be able to rejoin again now as far as I can understand.

There is flag-rules, but you need more than one car stationary on/near the track at the same time for Race Control to give a FCY.

servers are down for 10 minutes, due to an unforeseen bug with the penalty system alonso and barichello are now allowed to return, and immediately Iracing fanboys are crying all over twitter, way to make an issue out of something so small :cautious:

Like iRacing hasn't had it's fair share of server issues.

However, isn't iRacing server issues "terminal", while here they are able to re-start from the point they had to stop etc.?

Like iRacing hasn't had it's fair share of server issues.

However, isn't iRacing server issues "terminal", while here they are able to re-start from the point they had to stop etc.?
if only i knew, no experience in endurance racing on Rfactor2 and never played Iracing, i just think that it is hilarious people are making a fuss about the first technical issue in 5 hours within a globally hosted 24 hour race

servers are down for 10 minutes, due to an unforeseen bug with the penalty system alonso and barichello are now allowed to return, and immediately Iracing fanboys are crying all over twitter, way to make an issue out of something so small :cautious:

Are iRacing servers more stable?

I think they acually did a great job with this, preparing for such an eventuality and in general, S397 should seize the opportunity and go for an official WEC licence, maybe add some older classes as well, finally get some complete content...

if only i knew, no experience in endurance racing on Rfactor2 and never played Iracing, i just think that it is hilarious people are making a fuss about the first technical issue in 5 hours within a globally hosted 24 hour race

Haven't done much iRacing myself (some in 2010-2012, and one month during lockdown now), but I seem to recall they having had many issues with their big races throughout history.

Done lot's of rF/rF2 endurance racing, and while there has always been bugs, there has been workarounds for the most part.

But I also know that Daiman spent way too much time on the last endurance league here to make it run as smooth as possible.

Are iRacing servers more stable?

Now they probably are, I think the 24hrs at The Green Hell went fine. But they've had many many years to fine tune it for such big events as well.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.