2019 Formula One Russian Grand Prix

F1 is about sport and is already political enough; just leave it there.
We don't need your world politics on a racing forum.
You don't! I do! When its ethics and politics of a sport the fans absolutely should have a say imo.

F1 gimping itself out to the highest bidder and delivering us utterly crap racetracks is all political/cash/agenda driven it affects out enjoyment.

The one thing the bigwigs forget is that a sport can suffer if the fans vote with their cash, there is only so much Sky Sports can do to make the event exciting for the viewer the commentary is already so obnoxious and just plain annoying at times 'what have you got for us ted' "KUBICA IS FUMING THAT HE CAN'T RACE A CAR ANYMORE, BACK TO YOU" thanks Ted!

If we are all like you and want to Bury our heads then we will eventually have a Calandar full of Russian and middle eastern Street circuits not to mention the Colombia Cocaine sprint Triple point season finalie.(although this does sound a bit more fun, the podium could be interesting why is that champagne White and powdery?) It's got to stop, we need good racetracks I'm not against the F1 going to Russia or the Middle East it just somehow feels Shady, like there is always a grubby deal on the table kind of like how Fifa conduct themselves.

Sod it I'm carrying on, when the french lost the GP didn't they have to wait about 10 years whilst tiny cash rich countries are getting more street venues it's only going to get worse, so yea polotics of sport should be talked about, it matters!

If Ferrari has a good enough car to constantly challenge Merc next year from the beginning the combination Vettel/Leclerc will offer a lot of entertainment. Get the popcorn ready, this will be a new chapter along Senna/Prost or Hamilton/Rosberg.

About Vettel-Leclerc double-dealing drama, this always happen with team mates who are competitive sharks pretending to be nice guys. Arnoux and Villeneuve, Prost and Senna, Hamilton and Rosberg, and so on. Better a no-bullshit approach like Nelson Piquet's back in the days, or Magnussen now. Those guys are competitors and should not be expected to exchange places with a smile for some political reason. I can understand team orders when there is a championship at stake, but Ferrari's title dreams have been dead and buried for months.

By the way great driving from Bottas during the GP. His defence against Leclerc was just perfect.

About Vettel-Leclerc double-dealing drama, this always happen with team mates who are competitive sharks pretending to be nice guys. Arnoux and Villeneuve, Prost and Senna, Hamilton and Rosberg, and so on. Better a no-bullshit approach like Nelson Piquet's back in the days, or Magnussen now. Those guys are competitors and should not be expected to exchange places with a smile for some political reason. I can understand team orders when there is a championship at stake, but Ferrari's title dreams have been dead and buried for months.
Haha even worse than the relation Arnoux and Villeneuve was the warlike relation Arnoux and Prost.

Following is a funny story showing that the french "tifosis" probably did prefer the working class-ish Arnoux against the arrogant upper class Prost.
Alain Prost and Rene Arnoux - Renault
Everything about these two was different: whereas Prost had effortlessly ascended to the top of French motorsport (well-lubricated back then by oil company Elf - Prost once said his career had never personally cost him so much as a centime), Arnoux had served an erratic, bitty apprenticeship, working as a mechanic to support himself and not hitting the big-time until he was the wrong side of 30.

His rise dovetailed with that of Renault, but Arnoux was put in the shade somewhat when Prost arrived in 1981. Matters really came to a head at the following year's French GP, though, when the French manufacturer drew up an agreement to let Prost, who was in the title hunt, by if his team-mate led a 1-2. Clearly overcome by a patriotic fervour, Rene instead chose to ignore it - a course of action that, by the sounds of it, split opinion amongst French F1 fans.

In his autobiography, Prost revealed that, after stopping for petrol on his way home from Paul Ricard that night, the garage attendant mixed the pair of them up. "You did the right thing M. Arnoux," he piped up, "I'm glad you beat that little s*** Prost." Prost paid by cash rather than card, while Arnoux left to join Ferrari at the end of the season.
But you are right there is not so much overpolite BS when Magnussen is interviewed:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: In the refered 1982 French Grand Prix there was actually a possible championship at stake - for Prost :)

My opinion is that the people on the pitwall should have no influence over the car while driving.
They can give the driver hints on what engine mode to use, but nothing more.
You don't! I do! When its ethics and politics of a sport the fans absolutely should have a say imo.

F1 gimping itself out to the highest bidder and delivering us utterly crap racetracks is all political/cash/agenda driven it affects out enjoyment.

The one thing the bigwigs forget is that a sport can suffer if the fans vote with their cash, there is only so much Sky Sports can do to make the event exciting for the viewer the commentary is already so obnoxious and just plain annoying at times 'what have you got for us ted' "KUBICA IS FUMING THAT HE CAN'T RACE A CAR ANYMORE, BACK TO YOU" thanks Ted!

If we are all like you and want to Bury our heads then we will eventually have a Calandar full of Russian and middle eastern Street circuits not to mention the Colombia Cocaine sprint Triple point season finalie.(although this does sound a bit more fun, the podium could be interesting why is that champagne White and powdery?) It's got to stop, we need good racetracks I'm not against the F1 going to Russia or the Middle East it just somehow feels Shady, like there is always a grubby deal on the table kind of like how Fifa conduct themselves.

Sod it I'm carrying on, when the french lost the GP didn't they have to wait about 10 years whilst tiny cash rich countries are getting more street venues it's only going to get worse, so yea polotics of sport should be talked about, it matters!
At a Columbian track you really can't cross the white lines. Or a death penalty is coming your way.

Last edited:
I hope my take on this VSC thing (closing or opening the pit under VSC) doesn't offend anyone...... nah who am i kidding? i don't care!:D

The one who are actually losing and benefiting in this situation (in terms of competing, marketing their brand and money!) the teams and drivers, they have never showed even a half serious (officially or unofficially) objection to this rule, because they have common sense about it and they know it's for all, but some fans opinion change even race to race, whether it's the "let em race" thing that change race by race between the fans(it changes if it happened to their beloved drivers/teams or not) or this VSC situation.

Also about the tracks that people wish to be gone from calendar, when our historic venues can't easily fund themselves and their contract extension happen with lots of highs and lows and problems( like monza, silverston, hockenheim, hermanos rodriguez) and some of them can't even make it, in this situation a track that can fund it self and also bring extra revenue to F1 is a blessing! i can say that without the tracks like sochi,Azerbaijan,monaco and singapore and their money making machines , the other tracks in F1 calendar will have problems too, even the ones we like!

Last edited:
They really need to ban pit stops under safety car or VSC :rolleyes: It shouldn't be possible to make up 13 seconds by pitting under yellow. They should just shut the pit lane until the track is safe again.

I thought that the whole idea of VSC was to effectively 'freeze' the race whilst safety is reinstated. Lewis pitting under yellow did anything but that :O_o:

Both ferrari and Merc have benefitted from the vsc in the past, but how long before their subordinate teams pull the plug mid race to force this condition? I mean we'll never know about it, but the possibility is there.

@BrunoB - that story about Arnoux as a working-class hero is just a legend. He and Prost did not come out as very nice guys, compared to the other French F1 drivers (Jabouille, Tamba, Laffite or Jarier). And the real sport heroes of that time in France were Hinault and Platini.

Both ferrari and Merc have benefitted from the vsc in the past, but how long before their subordinate teams pull the plug mid race to force this condition? I mean we'll never know about it, but the possibility is there.

If your "subordinate" teams are willing to throw their races away; then they could impact the race regardless of the VSC rules. It's never seem to have been a problem.

And I don't think any team has a subordinate team outside of Red Bull Racing.

Last edited:
@BrunoB - that story about Arnoux as a working-class hero is just a legend. He and Prost did not come out as very nice guys, compared to the other French F1 drivers (Jabouille, Tamba, Laffite or Jarier). And the real sport heroes of that time in France were Hinault and Platini.
There is a difference between a full blown working class hero and working class-ish - OK?
And your statement that "He and Prost did not come out as very nice guys" is exactly what it is - just your oppinion among others.:)

Hehe personally I dont think Platini can be considered as a "real sport hero".
At least if a real hero also has to be able to keep away from lets call it "some slightly criminal economical transactions".:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Hate to be picky but that would be Pironi and Villeneuve......;)
Arnoux and Jabouille didn't get along that well just the same, little Rene wasn't that bright but he knew how to ignore team orders!
Actually Arnoux and Villeneuve were good friends.
But I think the Villeneuve confusion is because the duel between them in the 1979 French Grand Prix in Dijon is still held up to the pinnacle of F1's golden era.:thumbsup:

EDIT: Dammed Bélisle:confused:

Actually Arnoux and Villeneuve were good friends.
But I think the Villeneuve confusion is because the duel between them in the 1979 French Grand Prix in Dijon is still held up to the pinnacle of F1's golden era.:thumbsup:

EDIT: Dammed Bélisle:confused:
I know. People don't like me. I am just too fast! :whistling:

EDIT
: If only I was that fast on the track... ;)

Last edited:
Hate to be picky but that would be Pironi and Villeneuve......;)
Arnoux and Jabouille didn't get along that well just the same, little Rene wasn't that bright but he knew how to ignore team orders!
You are right it was the Pironi-Villeneuve incident about team orders I had in mind but I mixed them up. :redface: Memory is not so good 30 years after :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back