rF2 2.4 Hours of Le Mans - Sun 24 May 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Daiman Patel

rFactor 2 Technical Assistant
I have yet do my own full proper shakedown of the three DPI cars, but after reading this comment on Steam(can be found on the Mazda page) I have some preliminary questions:
1CDB55B0-0867-4258-AE14-027E9D890DDB.jpeg

This sounds a bit alarming since we are running at a high speed track, I’m unable at the moment to try it but can someone confirm if this issue is true? If so, will it be fixed in time for the event?
Thank you for making me aware of this bug. Unfortunately it will be up to the original developers of these cars to correct the problem, and release an update. As you have said this does sound rather disconcerting, especially given the high-speed nature of the circuit, so if we do find that it is an issue then the 3 DPI cars will simply have to be removed from this event. In this instance all drivers currently in the DPI class will be moved to the LMP2 class by default, but they can switch to the GTE class if they wish.

If anybody is able to test and shed any more light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated. A decision will be made at the weekend, or at the latest by this time next week, about whether or not these three cars will be withdrawn from use.

Also, observing the AI racing the DPI’s around Le Mans the Cadillac is clearly the car to choose, with the Acura a close second and the Mazda a slightly distant third. I just wanted a rough estimate on the difference in performance and I know I shouldn’t take AI performance as gospel but does anyone with a bit of experience with these cars know if one can be equally competitive in any car?
To be completely honest I am not certain about comparative performance. I have driven all three cars - the Acura and Cadillac feel the most competitive and seemingly equal. But based on the release notes all three cars should ultimately be equal.

Daiman Patel

I have yet do my own full proper shakedown of the three DPI cars, but after reading this comment on Steam(can be found on the Mazda page) I have some preliminary questions:
1CDB55B0-0867-4258-AE14-027E9D890DDB.jpeg

This sounds a bit alarming since we are running at a high speed track, I’m unable at the moment to try it but can someone confirm if this issue is true? If so, will it be fixed in time for the event?
It appears that this comment has now been removed from the item in the Steam Workshop. Rather peculiar, but I'll be sure to keep a close eye on this situation and see how it unfolds.

I drove all three cars around Le Mans (for several laps) a few weeks ago, and did not notice any lift effect, though I admittedly may not be the best judge of this. So any feedback from other (probably more experienced) drivers would be greatly appreciated. Maybe MoTeC can help to determine if there is any lift being generated by the car at high speed.

There is also another (known) issue that has come to my attention, with the lap estimate displayed in the fuel sub-menu of the garage / set up menu. However, I have found that this often does not work correctly with a variety of cars, not just the DPIs. The best option, in my opinion, is to use the fuel usage (per lap) display on the default HUD to calculate how many laps can be completed with the amount of fuel (currently) in the car. The remaining fuel is also displayed, so these can still be used to determine when refuelling is required. If there is, however, a big (and seemingly erroneous) difference in fuel usage between the three cars (as a few people have suggested) then, once again, we may decide to withdraw these cars from use unless a fix is released. I did not previously notice any differences in fuel usage; I shall try to look into this at the weekend.

Magnus Dahlgren

ShoeLazers
It appears that this comment has now been removed from the item in the Steam Workshop. Rather peculiar, but I'll be sure to keep a close eye on this situation and see how it unfolds.

I drove all three cars around Le Mans (for several laps) a few weeks ago, and did not notice any lift effect, though I admittedly may not be the best judge of this. So any feedback from other (probably more experienced) drivers would be greatly appreciated. Maybe MoTeC can help to determine if there is any lift being generated by the car at high speed.

There is also another (known) issue that has come to my attention, with the lap estimate displayed in the fuel sub-menu of the garage / set up menu. However, I have found that this often does not work correctly with a variety of cars, not just the DPIs. The best option, in my opinion, is to use the fuel usage (per lap) display on the default HUD to calculate how many laps can be completed with the amount of fuel (currently) in the car. The remaining fuel is also displayed, so these can still be used to determine when refuelling is required. If there is, however, a big (and seemingly erroneous) difference in fuel usage between the three cars (as a few people have suggested) then, once again, we may decide to withdraw these cars from use unless a fix is released. I did not previously notice any differences in fuel usage; I shall try to look into this at the weekend.

Thank you very much for taking your time to answer and looking into things Daiman! :notworthy:
Indeed, strange that the comment has been removed... However tomorrow and for a short time today I’ll be able to see if at least I perceive any aero lift with the DPI’s and if it does have any negative effect on the handling.
It would be nice if other drivers with experience with these cars could chime in on the subject! :)

The fuel calculator in the setup menu has always been somewhat useless in rF2 and personally I‘ve found that the only way to get a correct reading to calculate from is by driving a lap with your setup which you intend to use for the race. I will try to look into this as well, hopefully the fuel balance between the cars are somewhat ‘fair’ i.e. the slowest car using least fuel and the fastest needing more, which at least in theory should balance them out for the duration of the race.

Again, thank you for taking you time Daiman to give answers and helping in any capacity, I feel like I’ve just created extra busy work and worry, and that is something we all already have enough of due to the current pandemic. So, big thanks!

Daiman Patel

Thank you very much for taking your time to answer and looking into things Daiman! :notworthy:
Not a problem, mate! :thumbsup:

Indeed, strange that the comment has been removed... However tomorrow and for a short time today I’ll be able to see if at least I perceive any aero lift with the DPI’s and if it does have any negative effect on the handling.
It would be nice if other drivers with experience with these cars could chime in on the subject! :)
Yeh, I'm not really sure what's going on there - whether the person who wrote the comment realised that they had made a mistake, or if the creator of the mod asked for the comment to be removed, or maybe something else. I'm just guessing at the moment. We shall see based on testing if this actually is a problem, or will cause a problem. Any testing that you do and feedback that you are able to provide will be greatly appreciated; this goes for anyone who is able to shed any light on the issue - I will be thankful for any information that can help me to make an informed decision about whether or not the DPIs will be available for use in this event. :)

The fuel calculator in the setup menu has always been somewhat useless in rF2 and personally I‘ve found that the only way to get a correct reading to calculate from is by driving a lap with your setup which you intend to use for the race. I will try to look into this as well, hopefully the fuel balance between the cars are somewhat ‘fair’ i.e. the slowest car using least fuel and the fastest needing more, which at least in theory should balance them out for the duration of the race.
I completely agree - the lap estimate in the garage menu is useless in most cases (even for cars that do not have the option to change the engine mode, and in turn the rate of fuel consumption). Driving a few laps (with your setup) to get a rough idea of fuel usage per lap (using the display on the default HUB) is definitely the most reliable way of working out how many laps can be driven on a single tank. As you have said, hopefully there is a correlation between pace and fuel consumption so that, over the course of a race, the cars are "equal". If this is not the case then it may be a matter of determining which cars have an issue with the rate at which they are using fuel, and these can be removed. Based on this a decision can then be made to either keep the DPI with the remaining car(s), or to drop the class entirely.

Again, thank you for taking you time Daiman to give answers and helping in any capacity, I feel like I’ve just created extra busy work and worry, and that is something we all already have enough of due to the current pandemic. So, big thanks!
You are very welcome. Thanks again to you for making me aware of the issue, and for any feedback. :D It just goes to show that I couldn't do these events without you guys either, and not only from a participation point of view. :rolleyes: I will certainly try to do my fair share of testing as well at the weekend so that we can get to the bottom of these issues.

I've tried all 3 DPI cars and I noticed nothing strange about them.

At top speed they where not trying to take off ;)

1589448894597.png
Well that's certainly good to hear! Thank you very much for your feedback, mate - this has been noted. :geek: Let's see if, over the next few days, anybody finds something different before a decision is made. The last thing that we want to see is a repeat of the flying Mercedes.

Daiman Patel

in please with LMP2 ;)
Unfortunately I will have to add you to the reserves list for the time being. You will be moved up (and notified) if any current participants sign out. I also suggest that you join TeamSpeak before the start of qualifying in case there are any vacant spots. :thumbsup: I'm sure there will be a few spots that will open up on the day. Alternatively you could ask to see if any drivers currently on the list are willing to share their seat. :)

Daiman Patel

GTE reserves list please
LMP2 or GTE reserve here. If anyone wants a teammate ill happily join :)
I have added both of you to the reserves list. You will be moved up (and notified) if any current participants sign out. I also suggest that you join TeamSpeak before the start of qualifying in case there are any vacant spots. :thumbsup: I'm sure there will be a few spots that will open up on the day. And, of course, you could ask to see if any drivers currently on the list are willing to share their seat. :)

Daiman Patel

Sign me up for GTE reserve, pls. Thank you!
Sure thing - you have been added to the reserves list. You will be moved up (and notified) if any current participants sign out. I also suggest that you join TeamSpeak before the start of qualifying in case there are any vacant spots. :thumbsup: Or you could ask to see if any drivers currently on the list are willing to share their seat. :)

Michel vL

Premium
Hi Guys,

I'm having a lot of issues with getting a comfortable setup for the Oreca. The brakes are locking up like crazy and I cannot get the car to slow down well in heavy braking zones without either braking incredibly early, or spin out due to an instant lockup.
I've tried adjusting the maximum brake force in the setup, played with the brake balance, and adjusted the brake pedal sensitivity. The latter helped a bit, but not much.
Hope you guys have some tips on resolving this :).

Cheers

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 90 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 47 10.0%