Virginia International Raceway

Tracks Virginia International Raceway 1.1

Login or Register an account to download this content
the codes are on signs along the side of the track
hit the look left button once or twice it ain't that tough.
time budget WTF

There are those of us that are husbands, fathers and hold down a job and have a many other interests.

In any week I may go shooting, drive my real sports car, ride one of my 2 stroke GP bikes, spend time with my daughter, spend time with my wife and spend time with my dog - do some gardening, fire up the 3D software to continue working on a car or track for AC and rF2, do some mechanical restoration work, fiberglass, play the odd PC game and odd console game, watch some TV, browse the web and still get paid to work a full 50 hours+.

So yes, a time budget.

I took 30 minutes out of a day and drove the entire VIR with Oculus Rift and an open top Willys Jeep to find these stupid easter eggs, and there was only 1 obvious 1, opposite the Oak Tree location.

I did not immediately see any others. And I drove the entire property from edge to edge including infield, kart, out field, restaurants, lodges and access roads.

So no, they are not that obvious or easily visible.

As for the track itself, it was obviously a huge effort and its pretty decent but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anything outside of the main venue is unfinished and probably should not have been included as a drivable area as once get off the main venue the lack of polys and detail is very obvious and detracting from the emersion especially if you use VR.

Stick to the main track and its amazing, take a turn out of the hot pits and its meh :)

There are those of us that are husbands, fathers and hold down a job and have a many other interests.

In any week I may go shooting, drive my real sports car, ride one of my 2 stroke GP bikes, spend time with my daughter, spend time with my wife and spend time with my dog - do some gardening, fire up the 3D software to continue working on a car or track for AC and rF2, do some mechanical restoration work, fiberglass, play the odd PC game and odd console game, watch some TV, browse the web and still get paid to work a full 50 hours+.

So yes, a time budget.

I took 30 minutes out of a day and drove the entire VIR with Oculus Rift and an open top Willys Jeep to find these stupid easter eggs, and there was only 1 obvious 1, opposite the Oak Tree location.

I did not immediately see any others. And I drove the entire property from edge to edge including infield, kart, out field, restaurants, lodges and access roads.

As for the track itself, it was obviously a huge effort and its pretty decent but not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Anything outside of the main venue is unfinished and probably should not have been included as a drivable area as once get off the main venue the lack of polys and detail is very obvious and detracting from the emersion especially if you use VR.

Stick to the main track and its amazing, take a turn out of the hot pits and its meh :)
Well, then you definitely don't need the codes. As you said yourself, just stick to the main track. You don't want any more things detracting from your immersion. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Justify yourself any way you want, point is you obviously feel entitled to have the same things others have, without putting in the "work" they do. Nobody here cares about your time budget. If you can't "afford" the 6 minutes it takes to find the codes, do whatever you do with other things that aren't in your budget - move on with your life without them.

I hope you, as a father, don't instill these values in your children. :rolleyes:

Start tower for the trackday layouts brought up to date.
Thanks to Burke for the heads up on the changes & reference pic. :thumbsup:

Capture.JPG

Justify yourself any way you want, point is you obviously feel entitled to have the same things others have, without putting in the "work" they do. Nobody here cares about your time budget. If you can't "afford" the 6 minutes it takes to find the codes, do whatever you do with other things that aren't in your budget - move on with your life without them.

I hope you, as a father, don't instill these values in your children. :rolleyes:

Well, looks like you have selfishly spoken on behalf of everyone else... great values you have yeah, irony much there?

There is nothing "entitled" about it, the authors locked some of the content and I asked for the keys rather than spend time looking - perhaps you are upset you didn't think of asking for the keys.

The main track is good enough to buy, but if I did give/donate these guys $20 for their effort, the least I would expect in return is the passwords to install exe's since they are part of the content being purchased :)

Well, looks like you have selfishly spoken on behalf of everyone else... great values you have yeah, irony much there?

There is nothing "entitled" about it, the authors locked some of the content and I asked for the keys rather than spend time looking - perhaps you are upset you didn't think of asking for the keys.

The main track is good enough to buy, but if I did give/donate these guys $20 for their effort, the least I would expect in return is the passwords to install exe's since they are part of the content being purchased :)
The idea of the hidden content was to try and do something a little different. Most people love finding hidden stuff and this seemed like a fun way to offer something extra. Just a bit of fun. Nothing more or less.

If you had sent me a PM explaining your situation I would have gladly disclosed the keys to you privately. I did think about only making the keys available to people who donated but i don't agree with discriminating against those who can't/don't want to donate. I'm not against payware - in fact i wouldn't rule myself out of doing a genuine payware project at some stage but VIR was never intended as such. Donations should be a personal choice and not restrict peoples enjoyment of a free project IMO.

Glad you are enjoying the track. You are correct that the parts away from the main circuit aren't modelled to the same level of detail as the main circuit. Not only would that have added several more weeks of development time (you know first hand how difficult it can be to find time to work on this stuff - 2 years seemed more than enough of my life to put into this) but we also had performance considerations and to remember that a significant amount of users might never explore the outlying areas.

You're also right that we didn't have to open up these areas and/or make them drivable. In fact it would have been much, much easier if we didn't, but for me it's touches like that which make the difference between a mod track built with love vs. a commercial project. Once again, it's just a little something extra for those who want to enjoy it at face value with or without it's flaws. Most of my track projects have had an element of this but It's an idea i first explored to any significant extent with Barbagallo. It was very well received which was why i was keen push a little further with VIR. I love the idea of creating a complete environment and not just a racetrack. Inevitably some concessions have to be made along the way`but it's a concept i'll continue to develop.

So yes, a time budget.

1) It took you more time to write these answers than to look for these "stupid easter eggs".
2) If you don't have time then just forget about them.
3) Learn some manners.

1) It took you more time to write these answers than to look for these "stupid easter eggs".
2) If you don't have time then just forget about them.
3) Learn some manners.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. We all like different things and have different views on what's important. Many people like the extra little things. Some people don't and that's fine too. Ultimately we hope there's enough in here that most people can take something positive from having the track in their collection. No animals or children were harmed during the building of this track (at least to the best of our knowledge :p)

Spread the love folks. It's just a bunch of pixels. :)

The idea of the hidden content was to try and do something a little different. Most people love finding hidden stuff and this seemed like a fun way to offer something extra. Just a bit of fun. Nothing more or less.

If you had sent me a PM explaining your situation I would have gladly disclosed the keys to you privately. I did think about only making the keys available to people who donated but i don't agree with discriminating against those who can't/don't want to donate. I'm not against payware - in fact i wouldn't rule myself out of doing a genuine payware project at some stage but VIR was never intended as such. Donations should be a personal choice and not restrict peoples enjoyment of a free project IMO.

Glad you are enjoying the track. You are correct that the parts away from the main circuit aren't modelled to the same level of detail as the main circuit. Not only would that have added several more weeks of development time (you know first hand how difficult it can be to find time to work on this stuff - 2 years seemed more than enough of my life to put into this) but we also had performance considerations and to remember that a significant amount of users might never explore the outlying areas.

You're also right that we didn't have to open up these areas and/or make them drivable. In fact it would have been much, much easier if we didn't, but for me it's touches like that which make the difference between a mod track built with love vs. a commercial project. Once again, it's just a little something extra for those who want to enjoy it at face value with or without it's flaws. Most of my track projects have had an element of this but It's an idea i first explored to any significant extent with Barbagallo. It was very well received which was why i was keen push a little further with VIR. I love the idea of creating a complete environment and not just a racetrack. Inevitably some concessions have to be made along the way`but it's a concept i'll continue to develop.

Well, FWIW if and when you do, do a pay-ware project - I will be right there cash in hand as the work is of payment deserving standard. The attention to detail to the driving area is superb.

And my insistence on goading the naysayers about not treating the keys as if they where a full blown Design Studio Software license was more directed at them than at you and your team :)

I figured that you guys would treat it as a "fun to pursue add-in" vs. a GT4 style mission grinding objective and no worries mate, any frustration is easily forgotten halfway through the first lap of a session done on the track - it's that good :)

Donating isn't the same thing as purchasing.....
Uhm, actually it is exactly the same, especially when you are donating in relation to content received versus charity donations. And I gladly PAY teams like this real money for their effort and work to produce the product as I totally appreciate and understand their effort - hopefully you understand the work they are doing for these projects is easily billed out at $75 to $150 an hour, so the self determined payment (I.e. donation) is actually pretty important and I do believe is very well received by these teams, even if they only get back enough to pay for the coffee they consumed :)

Anyway, don't let that blood pressure get to high there yeah as said above - its just a bunch of pixels.

It was made for fun, jeez. The track was released as VIR and not as VIR + "extra content". That was a little surprise to have fun with. If you find looking for codes is boring then you could have waited a couple days and then PM'ed someone who found them (VIR and its layouts was already there for you to enjoy). Some of us enjoyed looking for the codes. It was an added extra bit of fun. I dont call "fun" time wasting. We are all different of course, but since some people enjoyed it there was no need to spoil it - just PM someone and get the codes.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%