The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

thx for welcome! :D

regarding my model.. wow haha.. i didint know that assetto ocrsa could really handle those heavy models.. never actully thought about it..
Im unsure how many polys or vertexs my model has...
But over model weight... but the plain model.. (no cockpit, wing, interior details/engine/suspention.)
just the plain model weights around 2mb with gtr2 gmt exportion.
Hopefully when i try to bring them to assetto corsa.. i will improve the models even more..

a qick shot from the kremer k8 cockpit..
i still have alot to fill in for it.. better textures and material settings..
The cockpit has been done with a very low poly count.. as you probobly will notice around the pedals..
But it will get sorted out as the quality will be improved in a assetto corsa conversion ;)

Attachments

• ffac4405927c84888b08855261c9a154.png
    ffac4405927c84888b08855261c9a154.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 338
People have straight up imported 500k tris Squire models. It will only grind the game to a halt when you try a whole grid of those high poly cars.

I'm currently (and probably for the next two hours at least) running a new AO bake for my tubeframe. I had to move some tubes, and as more stuff got added the old one did not fit everywhere anymore.
This is a type of mesh that works really well with the "Lightmap Pack" - Auto UV map function, which in some way figures out during mapping which face has the highest gradient across itself

edit: 4096x4096 render at 100 samples...this will cook for longer than expected :roflmao:

edit2: the render ran for 6 hours... but worth it
a37H9Es.jpg

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

@VaporOne
You should build it as detailed as possible and have that version for AC, then tone it way down for GTR², even using a lod_2 as lod_0. The car looks great in GTR² but it's all about them curves nowadays.

@VaporOne
You should build it as detailed as possible and have that version for AC, then tone it way down for GTR², even using a lod_2 as lod_0. The car looks great in GTR² but it's all about them curves nowadays.
Maybe i should.. good point.. but i wasent really sure about an Ac port back then :/
But lucky for me i kept all of my work stored pre gtr2 port..
It wont be that harsh in the end. Will take me some time and hopefully some great results will be achived! I have to tune up the polys and make the edges more smoother..

Ps. If someone wounders why of all those mighty 90s machines i chose to work on just these 2.. the reason is very simple.. they were the only ones missing models for the middle 90s lm grids in gtr2
If i wold have pulled all focus from the start towards the assetto corsa scene.. then i would have modeld the twr wsc 95, the bmw v12 or the audi r8r..

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Im new and i hope im not causing any offence.
Im a amature 3d artist and i have done some 3d models for my own gtr2 mod..

But i have intressted to port it to other platforms aswell.
First i thought of pcars.. but i have really been impressed and stuck with AS.

I have done some older le mans prototypes.
I dont know if anyone would be intressted but these are some prototypes that were competetive and challenged the awsome years of the gt scences at le mans.

Car i have been working alot on is the Courage c36 and kremer k8.

I plan doing alot of accurate details. Cockpit, diffrent year specs and alot more.

Courage c36.. (an gtr2 ingame screen i know.. but it still sums up the model decent.)

namnly10.jpg

Kremer k8 (the car i have done the best results with. This is altough an older screenshoot featuring under body and loosable parts for the gtr2 mod.)
1b10.jpg

Im an amuature. I cant promise completly accurate details but i try to do the best.

I have planned doing gtr2 mod first. When it feels right i will try to import them to assetto corsa.
The models are not heavy at all.. they have been designed for that purpose.. keeping it all light and clean for anyone else driving them.

I hope you like my models and find my work great!. (Or decent atleast XD.)

I plan doing some more 90s cars in the feauture if things turn out great. Maybe the wr lm96 or a dauer 962..

I atleast got a starting model for the wr :)
namnly10.png

I was born in those years and the first time I went on a race track was for the test sessions before Le Mans 24h 1991. You definitely have to do the 905 (either the 1st version or the next one which won the race twice) !
But I sure love these cars, especially the Cougar because it was a local manufacturer.

Anyway, I'm back on the TicTac 962 after one week being unable to work on it. I should move forward a lot tonight but I have no progress to show right now.

hey the caterham isn't dead :D
Further to the last weekend meeting
7_20161203100702_IMG_9508.JPG

not a very exciting screenshot but there is some maths happening!
points.png

i even had to recall how to do a tangent-1 to figure an angle with given triangle values. Fun!
Some progress happening!
Really nice to see this much work being put into it!

Started working on a Streetcar retro livery. Got a used model of that 911 GT2 in 1:10 (RC) a long while back.

Recreating real skins (even having a big load of artistic freedom when applying it to another car) is a huge load of work. Will continue this later... Tons of fun, though!

• Deleted member 130869

Well I'm about to do the TS010, then plan to do the XJR-14/MXR-01 after that, if someone wants to do the 905 aswell...:p

That's a nice follow-up car! A bit of a mixed bag of feelings because although developed in 1991, it didn't compete in Le Mans, much like how Mercedes ran the C11 instead of the C291. Anyway, they'll all be very welcome as it's highly doubtful we'll get Group C cars that wouldn't be licensed through Kunos.

Ultimately id love to get a full '91-'92-What if '93 WSC mod going including the prototypes that never raced, but I'll just commit to the TS010 and XJR-14/MXR-01 for now, as they're the ones ive really wanted to model for a while anyway...but in addition to those thered be some more interesting cars like the Pug 905 and Sauber C291, the Lola T92/10, then the prototype Sauber Merc C292, Nissan P35, Alfa Romeo SE048 etc. etc. ...

And yeah, mclarenf1papa will be doing the ingame stuff with me for them...im a 3D artist, so ill stick to what i know best haha

Last edited:
Fun thing with the bi-plane wing cars is that raising the angle of the lower foil actually pushes the aero CoP forward in most cases (opposite of typical effect). You can take off a very large amount of downforce just from adjusting that wing, which pulls air from the diffuser, essentially acting as an extension to it. The reason for the forward shift is that the center of pressure of the diffuser itself was actually forward of the CoG, and since the downforce numbers those cars were generating from those diffusers were so high, the actual downforce loss from the rear wing couldn't compensate for the difference.

Another is the 9000+ lbs of downforce (10k claimed, 8k confirmed for the xjr-14 at least. TS010 reportedly had over a 6:1 lift to drag ratio. I'm not sure if that was more downforce or just less drag, as the data for the xjr only shows around 4-5:1) at 200 mph, which despite rather slippery tires (tire design didn't seem to really pick up until a few years later), allows for even higher cornering speeds than modern LMP1 in some cases (for point of reference, brief testing so far has yielded 140mph vs. 132mph minimum speed through Sebring T1 for TS010 vs. LMP1).

Also no third springs, so massive spring rates on the corners to deal with the loads. Though it would be nice if there was more reference for this available...I've been told the 905 was effectively running a solid front axle because of the spring and ARB stiffness, and have reference for a period Nissan running absurdly stiff springs, but don't particularly see why they would have done so...the Nissan for example could have run half of that spring rate without bottoming out, though potentially it could have been to help avoid porpoising.

If someone would like to.. i could do a peugeot 905 model or another group c car.
The peugeot 1991 models looks cool. I kinda find that model awsome.

I have seen the later model avaible at some other places. So i guess someone else did the 92-93 model? Probobly an rip.

But someone else will have to add it ingame.. i enjoy doing 3d work but so far i dont know alot about adding cars ingame.
Im an amauture artist but i really would like to contribute to the community..

I kinda got hooked now on the group c era.
I got some requests at other places.. i should be able to creat a cougar version of the courage c36. Wich feauters a coupe roof.
Cougar c28s. that cant be bad?

Last edited:
Pretty sure the 905 Evo floating around is a model ripped from Forza 3 or 4 (like so many other models that just appeared from nowhere)...should do the '91 non-evo version if you like it, it was directly up against the XJR-14, and the Cougar C26S you've mentioned aswell :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.