The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

axT1lbQ.jpg

IQmpmgM.png

21 days later

OsQvkrp.jpg

l1nFUDW.png

Let's see how it looks in 21 days :)

PS: There's something wrong with the light strip and front fascia on that B12 5.7 on top. Either it's aftermarket or a badly repaired accident but that is not the stock look. Either way it works for the purposes of modeling.

Last edited:
Yeah depends on visibility, always a bit of a balancing act between detail and visibility.

If that gearbox/diff is in full few, then that sort of detail is about right. But if its not in full view then its definitely overkill, same with the calipers (especially the sides which will be hard to see with rims covering it, the front faces are not so bad).

The car I'm working on now has a lot of engine bay details that are partially visible through some grill mesh and through small outlets - in this case I don't want to leave it empty, but at the same time I want to avoid excessive detail, only enough to give convince the viewer that there is 'something' there and no more (more or less a silhouette). Maybe at the end I'll check the poly budget and add some more if there is space, but baer in mind that also takes up more UV space which is also at a premium (Kunos cars sit around 40MB for their .kn5, very easy to exceed that with a few more textures).

That gearbox looks great though, if its not clearly visible it should be ;)

Started a new project a little while ago, its going well but can't show any pics yet.

Though I did spend a couple hours sorting out the textures for this thing (much as I did for the lawn mower, based on experience with the RSS cars). Done the CF, plastic and metal, will finalise the bodywork UV's tomorrow hopefully and get this thing liveried up ASAP (and helpers on that front welcome!).

And don't worry about the low res texture on the wing/floor etc, should look fine in-game with the carbon fibre detail, being nice and dark you can afford a lower res diffuse :)

DIi2msih.png

QXnFJaOh.png

Keep in mind you'll want the entire car under 250,000 tris (for LOD A) so it doesn't hurt performance too much.

Ouch. I passed that along time ago. One of the side effects of converting Nurbs to Poly, it's hard to get the detail were you need it and keep the count down. What are the problems with a high poly count? I've used the car in AC and I don't notice any issues with the frame rate. Does it come down to load time? I have 2 Titan X graphics, do you notice high poly models on lower performing machines?

How does the community feel about high poly models? I might be able to get it down to 350-400,000
300k all included (exterior, interior, low res interior) is normally the limit. There are plenty of 500k car mods out there, but only because "modders" take cars from CGTrader and similar and just transfer them without optimisation and bundle them with ripped physics.

In your case think about what a normal user (without F7 free cam mode) will see of the car, and focus on those areas. So suspension and engine is very low priority. Also like A3DR said baking normalmaps from your high res stuff will looks just as good in many instances

How does the community feel about high poly models? I might be able to get it down to 350-400,000
Yeah probably still on the upper limit, though with a good set of LOD's it shouldn't be too bad.

The RSS stuff is around and sometimes north of 300k, but its possible to make a LOD B that removes all of the detail, saving a huge amount of tris but keeping a really nice looking exterior - that pops in just a few metres away, which will massively help the overall tri count on a large grid of cars.

Just as a thought I think of building my first 3d model for AC. I have never done anything 3d related and now I want to know if a car or a track would be easier to start with

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back