The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

I was very tempted to move the Start/Finish line further back up the hill, but when @aphidgod was testing the first build I sent to him, he mentioned it as being one of his favourite aspects of the whole track, so it stayed where it is, ridiculously close to T1 :D

The one thing that bugs me about Feldbergring is the pitlane being on the hill, and how the AI cars that end up in the pits only have their rear wheels touching the ground :( Ah well....

HAHAH I thought I was imagining things when I flew by the pits and it appeared that the retired AI cars had jack stands under the front wheels. I almost crashed! :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

I was very tempted to move the Start/Finish line further back up the hill, but when @aphidgod was testing the first build I sent to him, he mentioned it as being one of his favourite aspects of the whole track, so it stayed where it is, ridiculously close to T1 :D

The one thing that bugs me about Feldbergring is the pitlane being on the hill, and how the AI cars that end up in the pits only have their rear wheels touching the ground :( Ah well....
OMG! I love where that Start/Finish line is. You've got a decision to make...A quick, dangerous decision to make. Are you trying to squeeze off a lit more time or are you trying to make it through the kink alive? :D I will admit the first few laps I drove I was questioning it's location. Before my first session ended I had already found the brilliance of its location.

I know that Pitlane is a little weird...but what wasn't weird back in those days? :laugh: I was recently saved by the hill!! :D :D

I feel ridiculous for even bringing this up, but I have been wondering if this was done intentionally or just an oversight. It doesn't impact anything other than my crazy obsessed mind. :laugh: On the section from the end of the cobblestone, almost always to the Biergarten (I think) you've posted a few cars parked at the end of a section of road, presumably they are track officials of some type. Cool. But then we pass quite a few small country homes & barns that are unreachable. There is no small driveway, even if it were to be a dirt entrance to the property. The land is lush and big behind these objects, so I know they're not accessed from that side.

I know...I can hear the collective eye rolling from the entire forum right now...I think I'm nuts to get so focused on that one feature. It is only because of Fat-Alfie's keen eye and master of detail that I thought I would ask. This is in no way a criticism of his work. I'm betting he didn't even think about it since it's inclusion would be of such little consequence. Alright guys, I'm ready for the Boo's and Hiss's! :D

Good to see there is so much love for the Feldbergring.
Such a great track. Always tempting to do just one more lap to try and nail that section or corner. Then try again to nail that other bit you didnt quite get right.

Been doing laps in VR recently. When you dive down through the town. Buildings on either side so close. Its quite the rush. :D.
The final section ALB is talking about. The run back to the start line, in VR is so intense. The world off to the side becomes a blur and you get tunnel vision concentrating on the road ahead. The speed building... focussing to get the right line for each corner... cos if you dont... Boop. Dead. :p

On the section from the end of the cobblestone, almost always to the Biergarten (I think) you've posted a few cars parked at the end of a section of road, presumably they are track officials of some type. Cool. But then we pass quite a few small country homes & barns that are unreachable. There is no small driveway, even if it were to be a dirt entrance to the property. The land is lush and big behind these objects, so I know they're not accessed from that side.

That is probably part WIP-ness and part laziness :p After you leave the Oberreifenberg village, there is a side road on the left that runs all the way to the Rotes Kreuz gasthaus (the second gasthaus, where you turn left up the hill). In my mind, that side road is where you would go to get to the farm on the left (there's actually only one house, a barn, and a watermill in the distance). I did plan on adding a five-bar gate off the main road as access to the farm, but well spotted :thumbsup:

If you look at the area on Google Maps you can see that I have missed out almost all of the side roads around the circuit. Again, probably just laziness or eagerness to get the track useable in-game, but at the time it seemed like a lot of work for very little impact. The side roads are something that I will probably go back and add in the future, if I think that they will improve the look of the track.

I have so much left to do, all of it fiddly, time consuming jobs too. Only yesterday @Mascot sent me a link to a historical website with loads of phitos taken in the '50-'54 period, but I am too scared to look at them in case I see things that are wrong with my project :unsure:

Overall, though, I am quite pleased with how this is working out. People who have tried it seem to like it, and I have quite a clear picture in my head of how it will look when it is complete (which is always a good thing when you are working on a project with so little information to work from).

Thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way - cheers guys :thumbsup:

Only yesterday @Mascot sent me a link to a historical website with loads of photos taken in the '50-'54 period, but I am too scared to look at them in case I see things that are wrong with my project :unsure:

Ha ha..! Don't be scared - they reinforce what a great job you've done of capturing the aesthetic of that period. There are also some vintage posters advertising motorcycle races in that area which might be useful as track decoration?

In case anyone else is interested, the website is http://www.feldbergrennen.de/ . Just click the links in the results table.

0X5UwwV.jpg

Haven't yet done any research into colour combos so for the next little while it'll be all ford f350 stuff. (also why the driver's a foot high)

Thomson Road seems era appropriate. Though not really the right continent.

0X5UwwV.jpg

Haven't yet done any research into colour combos so for the next little while it'll be all ford f350 stuff. (also why the driver's a foot high)

Thomson Road seems era appropriate. Though not really the right continent.
lol that's pretty neat, racing sims need more boaty cars like that:laugh:
also going of your avatar don't happen to be a fan of the MA61?
cuz I can deliver:D
1.png

will have to get this ingame soon too^^

Anyways did some mesh work on the AE86 dash, shading was :poop: with the current mesh
1.png

not quite done yet, just need to tidy up the lower half

and I want to ask, it's possible to have 2 UV maps in AC right? the reason I ask is I want to use tiled textures for the detail, which will give better detail and look nicer, but AO textures won't be possible, unless I have a second UV to take care of the AO

lol that's pretty neat, racing sims need more boaty cars like that:laugh:
also going of your avatar don't happen to be a fan of the MA61?
I like how the early supras look, not so into driving them as it turns out.

If you use ksPerPixelMultimap or various other ones it lets you set a detail multiplier, not separate UVs but if you set it to 20* multiplier then it'll be tiled.

Starting to look like it should now. Still quite a bit of work to do though. Using my earlier PSD from the #29 car as a base... amazing how much I've learned since then. All the sponsors will need to be re-done as smart objects to get them sharper. Fortunately there are not many sponsors on this car!

Definately won't be done before the race starts! Probably not by the time it ends either lol ;)

hmm, ninja knows how to skin, but for the HSV modelling work was needed, last time I check it had no real UV mapping. I won't touch any of that without the source files.

@A3DR I'll use that chrome advice :thumbsup:
Luckily we have a charles. The most OCD guy for UVs ive ever encountered. There is a tiny warp on the front bumper of the supra and he has been losing his mind about it, hes had similar rants with several kunos cars(waiting on model optimisations from shadowworks before it can be changed). Rest assured hes gonna sort the hsv out. Shadow wants to help fix a few modelling errors as well. I would also like to do a skin on it without it trying to fight back.

Luckily we have a charles. The most OCD guy for UVs ive ever encountered. There is a tiny warp on the front bumper of the supra and he has been losing his mind about it, hes had similar rants with several kunos cars(waiting on model optimisations from shadowworks before it can be changed). Rest assured hes gonna sort the hsv out. Shadow wants to help fix a few modelling errors as well. I would also like to do a skin on it without it trying to fight back.
To reduce modelling time and save some tris the vertical windscreen brace could be removed.

Nothing at all to do with it making my eyes go screwy in VR, you understand. I'm just thinking of the poor modders....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 366 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 510 39.0%