The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

Experimenting with sand/graveltrap physics and textures. This is what it's going to look like for now, while I continue to fix the land diffuse colors and move on to the transitions.

Traps are in 2-steps, so too far into the gravel will almost stop the car, though it's still possible to get out. This is not and endurance-track, therefore it's a fun addition that you can get rather stuck in the sand if being too careless.

(car is parked on the first image, therefore no particles...)
tberg_rdjursland_sand.jpg
tberg_rdjursland_sand2.jpg

@Tberg Looks to me like you could downscale gravel mesh UV ~2x.

The mesh is fine, not sure what you mean? The repetition that is visible on image 2 is the detail and detailNM that I haven't worked much on. Tried a few different supposedly seamless textures and made normals from them, some are worse than others, though I bet I can get a better result once I fix the seamless part my self.

Edit: Actually, I might go back and double the UV resolution, so the diffuse will bend around the corner more smooth. Not that you see it all unless viewing from a trackcam or for photos.

Last edited:
It is very hard to make such detail textures seamless, at least to me. What I wanted to say was to downscale UV of the gravel, so then your diffuse texture would become larger, sorta zoomed in, that should also help to mask some of repetition caused by gravel detail texture. Also there is one big seam in the middle caused by gravel UV going out of the UV map, so diffuse texture gets chopped there.

It is very hard to make such detail textures seamless, at least to me. What I wanted to say was to downscale UV of the gravel, so then your diffuse texture would become larger, sorta zoomed in, that should also help to mask some of repetition caused by gravel detail texture. Also there is one big seam in the middle caused by gravel UV going out of the UV map, so diffuse texture gets chopped there.

Yeah, the gravel diffuse isn't seamless yet, though it's actually quite scaled up already. The repetition is the same regardless of the mesh UV size. It is what it is atm, as I've already tried with true seamless textures which works better, so it's just something I have to make seamless. All my maps are painted, except the detail diffuse.

I have finally got all the fences in position, and it's made the track feel a lot more intense :thumbsup:

more intense you say?
Driving Feldbergring with anything that is not high downforce, and glued to the road type of car, is pure terror. There is no other track in AC that so genuinly makes you feel of being so close to certain death throughout the whole lap. Feldbergring at first scares the hell out of you by sending you through kilometers of dense forests with fast winding left and right handers following in quick succession. There is not a single second that you are not directly facing a solid tree, mere feets away from the road. Then, finally clearing the last trees, and roaring towards the start finish line, as you're just about to take the first breath, and begin to inhale the beautiful countryside whizzing by, you realize that you are doing 120mph, and that you are now entering the town of Oberreifenberg, and its a fast sweeping left hander that tightens, and its going downhill now, immediately followed by a right hander, and you know you are too fast, and you are on cobblestone now, the cars is shaking, and the gradiant is increasing, and its only 50m to the the sharp 90° left after the church, and there is no run off, there's only the city walls! Work damn brakes, WOOORRK, I don't waant to DIEEEE...:D

Fact: Already in 1955, following the LeMans tragedy, Feldbergring was considered to dangerous for racing, and was subsequently closed.

Fat-Alfie's Feldbergring really is the most terrifying and visually stunning rollercoaster of a track!

more intense you say?
Driving Feldbergring with anything that is not high downforce, and glued to the road type of car, is pure terror. There is no other track in AC that so genuinly makes you feel of being so close to certain death throughout the whole lap. Feldbergring at first scares the hell out of you by sending you through kilometers of dense forests with fast winding left and right handers following in quick succession. There is not a single second that you are not directly facing a solid tree, mere feets away from the road. Then, finally clearing the last trees, and roaring towards the start finish line, as you're just about to take the first breath, and begin to inhale the beautiful countryside whizzing by, you realize that you are doing 120mph, and that you are now entering the town of Oberreifenberg, and its a fast sweeping left hander that tightens, and its going downhill now, immediately followed by a right hander, and you know you are too fast, and you are on cobblestone now, the cars is shaking, and the gradiant is increasing, and its only 50m to the the sharp 90° left after the church, and there is no run off, there's only the city walls! Work damn brakes, WOOORRK, I don't waant to DIEEEE...:D

Fact: Already in 1955, following the LeMans tragedy, Feldbergring was considered to dangerous for racing, and was subsequently closed.

Fat-Alfie's Feldbergring really is the most terrifying and visually stunning rollercoaster of a track!

OK, now I really do need this track! Sounds amazing!

@gecco, your review of my track genuinely made me laugh out loud :roflmao: Is it really that scary? :O_o: I guess when you work on a track for 10 months (on and off) you must lose a lot of that scary feeling you get when driving a track for the first few times. Does anyone have a Men In Black flashy thingy so I can drive it for the first time again? :cool:

Honestly though, after 8100km of testing (according to CM - that's just over 700 laps) I still really enjoy this track immensely, and still get a rush from racing the AI round there, and still go "YES!" when I drive a clean lap (which doesn't happen very often) :)

Thanks again for taking the time to test it out :thumbsup:

more intense you say?

You summed up Feldbergring perfectly. First time I drove it I thought this track is madness, pure death trap. The downhill cobble section alone is pure insanity and at speed its dicey as hell!!

Feldbergring is by far the fastest track I've driven in AC. The down hill right hand turn about 2/3rds through is very tricky unless you are in a high downforce car, my goodness. I was driving a 930 Turbo through that section and flooring it was all I could do to make it through the corner and not hit the stone wall in the left side.

Its a brilliant track and insane as hell that it ever existed !

Might need the brown pants for some of the corners, haha

Last edited:
Sorta pain in the ass design for the headlight bezels. Cylinder carved out of a pyramid. In any case it's done now (correctly, unlike the GTA4 version of the car). Lights themselves gonna change since they need bulbs at least. Should look better once there's real scenery to reflect instead of a skybox + blackness.

nrCzRp5.jpg

What's better for skins, a bunch of different squad numbers in one police force, or all different police forces?

Sorta pain in the ass design for the headlight bezels. Cylinder carved out of a pyramid. In any case it's done now (correctly, unlike the GTA4 version of the car). Lights themselves gonna change since they need bulbs at least. Should look better once there's real scenery to reflect instead of a skybox + blackness.

nrCzRp5.jpg

What's better for skins, a bunch of different squad numbers in one police force, or all different police forces?

I'd imagine one (Kunos themed?) police force, maybe a few squad numbers and then perhaps state trooper and highway patrol versions to allow for some colour variation?

@gecco, your review of my track genuinely made me laugh out loud :roflmao: Is it really that scary? :O_o: I guess when you work on a track for 10 months (on and off) you must lose a lot of that scary feeling you get when driving a track for the first few times. Does anyone have a Men In Black flashy thingy so I can drive it for the first time again? :cool:

Honestly though, after 8100km of testing (according to CM - that's just over 700 laps) I still really enjoy this track immensely, and still get a rush from racing the AI round there, and still go "YES!" when I drive a clean lap (which doesn't happen very often) :)

Thanks again for taking the time to test it out :thumbsup:

I imagine it'll be fantastic in VR, I can't wait! I'd ask if you need any other testers but I don't know how much time I'd have to offer consistently at the moment

Grello is back in photoshop for a few small fixes (that probably nobody noticed were wrong!)...

Straightened "scherer" logo at the front bumper, Added missing Porsche lettering from underside of rear wing, removed 'manthey racing' logo on rear wing end fences. Still to add missing 'natsu foods' logo above pirelli logos on rear arches.

This is to get it to a final version as accurate as can be with sponsors, before making a Blancpain 2018 version - I saw it in the pitlane today on Nicki Thiim's live stream, and also I was driving it in AC (race @ Spa) this morning before that so got me interested again to go do the updates. Manthey Racing will be taking Grello to all the Blancpain Endurance Cup races this year, and by the looks of it, is running pretty much the same sponsors as at Bathurst. Obviously will need the 'Liqui Moly' branding removed and a new window banner and door number.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.