The Off-Topic Thread

KS95

RACER Moderator
Just to avoid spamming threads, how about an off-topic thread.. basically to ask stuff and talk about stuff that doesn't need it's own thread or isn't very relative.

I'll start lol. Is anyone else having problems downloading from tracciontrasera? I just get redirected to the homepage every time :(

while cleaning out some of the junk in the crawlspace left behind by the previous owners junk included 3 boxes of rocks, a bag of tennis balls, 6 cinder blocks, a terrarium, what looked like a 50s humidifier in the original box.

And what more so interested me, two radio alarm clocks, one looks to be out of the 80s (for sure predates me) the other I'm guessing is from the 70s, I want to say early 70s. its a flip radio alarm clock. at first I thought the radio was bad but someone some toying got the radio going, so as far as I can tell the alarm just doesn't work, but I only tried it once. For some reason as I get older I find myself liking some of the retro pieces (like this radio). and heres a picture of it. and yes even the clock works, so it was 9:11pm when I took the picture. sorry for the dirty state, thats as is condition.

night time shot for the heck of it (cleaned it off a little for this picture)

That's totally understandable. But perhaps anything you don't want to release for bugs/etc, should be posted as a community WIP. Let us handle it while you take what sounds like a much needed break ;)

Thanks to all for understanding.. yeah, I think I really strained myself trying to make everything just perfect. When I thought everything was cool, I started to redo the roads just to discover that nothing was aligned anymore.. I really need to know how to join vertices, if it works the way I think it does.. otherwise I will have to move a vertice at a time.. *sigh*

I'll post it later when I get the surfaces realigned, and once I figure out how to move vertically in tracked so I can add the triggers to the snowy mountain. And as I mentioned, post an updated version of Badlands Revisited. After that I'll take a break and just enjoy Racer and the community stuff. I mean, if the wheel has been invented, there is no need to reinvent it. Or whatever.. :)

Thanks to all for understanding.. yeah, I think I really strained myself trying to make everything just perfect. When I thought everything was cool, I started to redo the roads just to discover that nothing was aligned anymore.. I really need to know how to join vertices, if it works the way I think it does.. otherwise I will have to move a vertice at a time.. *sigh*

If you're using ZModeler 1, there are a couple options there. First is simply merging the vertices - if they're in the same object, you select the vertices, and go Create->Objects->UniteSelect in vertex mode and click once.

More generally useful but a bit trickier to use is the Snap options - they're in a toolbar on the top, looks like a red dot with lines going out from it (snap to splines, vertices, edges, and grid are available). Click to turn it on for vertices, then when you move a vertex near another it'll snap to exactly the same position. Unfortunately it only seems to work in HV, at least in the version of ZModeler I use, so you need to do this from 2 different views to get it snapped in all 3 dimensions.

More generally useful but a bit trickier to use is the Snap options - they're in a toolbar on the top, looks like a red dot with lines going out from it (snap to splines, vertices, edges, and grid are available). Click to turn it on for vertices, then when you move a vertex near another it'll snap to exactly the same position. Unfortunately it only seems to work in HV, at least in the version of ZModeler I use, so you need to do this from 2 different views to get it snapped in all 3 dimensions.

Thanks alot! This is probably what I was looking for.. you might just have saved my sanity.. heh. I'll try tomorrow or later, when I have some spare time :)

EDIT: Yes! Snap to vertices helped. Saves me alot of work and trouble. But now I have to find the time to do it. I'll be back when done. tata for now.

Just curious.. and I really have to ask.. with all these changes to Racer, and all the required tweaks it takes to make a track usable.. does this mean that Ruud is "weeding out" old content? I mean, it won't run properly since sky is changed, shaders are changed, lighting is changed, even car handling is changed.. which also would mean that if a track or a car is not brought on par with the current Racer, it is obsolete for sure. Is this deliberate, or just a "tragic" (or fortunate, depending on who is valuing it..) consequence?

FWIW, I have no problem with that.. there are still many older versions of Racer available for older content, and as Quadcore said in a car thread, that the car was so good it needed a track to match it. He has a point. And the point being, that /everything/ of the old must be discarded or brought on par, and since it is way to much work to upgrade the content.. well.. 'nuff said.

I still think there are alot of really good meshes out there, and for those who have the time (I guess I used up both my time and my energy) it can be done. But really.. upgrading even 10 of the old tracks, that would be a preview of Hades.. (i.e. H*ll). Still, I will release my stuff when a stable version is released, and not a moment before. All these changes are driving me up the wall.. (pun intended)..

Thanks for reading.. ;)

I'm going to work with the Mod Team (if they're willing) to update as much of the older stuff as possible to the new final version, once that's out. There should be a lot of new old stuff coming back once that begins. I get the feeling that we're all just holding our breath until the final bug-free release version is made.

Unfortunitely Luthobu, I think it's just a consequence of making content for a developing game. I'm sure there is plenty of developing software that's features/content goes obselete. But at the end of the day, we're so close to a new final, we can start to make content specifically for it, which is good.

And yeah, that sounds good Fifty. I've actually been updating some cars recently. Atm all I can think of is the Evo III (too early to be awake.. xD) which.. I don't know who made it (anyone know?) but it says in the Readme that anything can be done to it as long as the creator is still credited. My problem is that I don't know who that actually is xD But the readme has a ton of contact details etc.. so.. I might release what I've done so far. (although it's still got some stupid qlog errors, mostly due to the model/texturing)

I'm going to let others deal with the modelling side of things. Tyres, gravity/weight, and things (mostly tyres and weight) have changed a lot since 050, and the cars that were kludged originally with "magic" tyres and "magic" anti-roll bars to make them feel correct in older version are now pretty undriveable. I'd like to see that kind of car updated with realistic values, tyre setups that work realistically, and minimal amounts of guesswork.

It'd also be good to re-mesh a few cars, perhaps give them interiors, or add details, and bring them up to the quality that better suits Racer as it is today.

I'm going to let others deal with the modelling side of things. Tyres, gravity/weight, and things (mostly tyres and weight) have changed a lot since 050, and the cars that were kludged originally with "magic" tyres and "magic" anti-roll bars to make them feel correct in older version are now pretty undriveable. I'd like to see that kind of car updated with realistic values, tyre setups that work realistically, and minimal amounts of guesswork.

It'd also be good to re-mesh a few cars, perhaps give them interiors, or add details, and bring them up to the quality that better suits Racer as it is today.
it would be nice to bring some cars "back from the grave" so to speak I guess. I've always had Sven F's old mini laying around, did some ini updating to it (but it was kind of guess work). can't do much to the body though, as its a locked car, wouldn't mind getting into it and retexturing the thing, but that would be pointless if I'd get on with my Mini lmao.

I do remember a Ford Taunus (I think thats what it was at aleast, I know it wasn't the Ford Taurus though) there was a sedan and wagon form, as i remember I had some fun with that old thing back in the old versions, never bothered to update and have lost it (well it might be on the other computer is all).

We should really just put together a list, then sorta divide so the people who can do modelling take the cars that need modelling updates, and then the rest can be split with others. We just need some experienced volunteers :)

I've already done the old Evo III mostly. I updated it with the original specs, which were like rally-spec, and also did a stock version. According to the gear ratios, it can only do about 112mph in top gear. I know it's limited to that by Japanese law but I though it'd be electronically limited? I can release it (according to the readme) too, although I'd like to know for sure who made it in the first place. xD

Our thoughts and prayers go out to our friends in New Zealand after news of the devastating earthquake!

A rude awakening at 4:30 on a Saturday morning. Family are all fine thankfully! No damage to anything major, everything large is either bolted down or bolted to the walls. There's been a program on TV recently called Surviving Disaster - a little ironic eh! Thoughts are with those who are displaced by the quake.

I tried recording some sounds from Forza. I have 2 problems, 1) my TV is crap, 2) I can only record with my webcam. However, I found that with a bit of tweaking in audacity, the sounds are actually pretty good. The only thing is transitions seemed to be a bit odd (i recorded at every 1000rpm) so I suppose I just need to change the audio settings in the ini. But otherwise, it seems to be pretty good :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back