Cars The Need For Speed

Ferrari at the time only had a two-point seatbelt which means the shoulder was not restrained. So it really wasn't an issue with handling the belt but putting a three point belt into the car. Beats me why they didn't just use a Fiat assembly as they've done in later years.

Were typical US Americans unable to use euro style buckle-yourself belts? Never understood those rails things, and never came across any

In general I don't like modelling seatbelts, as its a hassle to fit with the Kunos driver models. Has so far always been the last parts to be modelled.

Me too, that's the last thing I do after placing the driver and animations. But in this case I've had to do the roof rails first to fit the roof panels.

Ferrari at the time only had a two-point seatbelt which means the shoulder was not restrained. So it really wasn't an issue with handling the belt but putting a three point belt into the car. Beats me why they didn't just use a Fiat assembly as they've done in later years.

That makes sense then, maybe it was the most practical solution at the time.

Why not forgo that pain and model the Euro spec? It's not much of a loss not to have perfectly matching versions to the TNFS cars when it comes to these details (and hey, no ugly side lights as bonus!).

Hopefully the US 512TR wasn't affected as the 84' Testa and other import exotics on engine restrictions too.

Well, for one the game was based on US spec cars, and go figure, I've got the best pics and reference from cars for sale in the US (auctions and Ebay), so it makes sense to keep a consistency through all the models.
The only difference physics wise would be some kind of engine restriction at the time, but nothing else.

I'm all for letting the modder enjoy the car he's doing. I just pointed it because you didn't seem happy to have to taint the car with those US spec belts, and they seem like an headache in the showroom when opening doors. More so, the already present Kunos cars aren't US models so it could slip.

I guess the NSX model revamp will focus on the Acura then, which is kind of refreshing.

I imagine the two-point seatbelt would be easier to implement.

Also, I'd prefer if the original NSX mod was kept as is, it had both NA1 and NA2 NSX-R/Type R versions that (if I'm not mistaken) were never sold in the US.

I'm all for letting the modder enjoy the car he's doing. I just pointed it because you didn't seem happy to have to taint the car with those US spec belts, and they seem like an headache in the showroom when opening doors. More so, the already present Kunos cars aren't US models so it could slip.

I guess the NSX model revamp will focus on the Acura then, which is kind of refreshing.

I understand, it would certainly make it easier for that matter, but I like to stick with an idea from the beginning through the entire project.
Besides, Euro spec was never on the table, the game is from Road & Track (USA) and Pioneer Productions (Canada), so they aimed at the North American market.
On that note, before starting on this 94-95 model I was really tempted to make the original 1984 Testarossa instead, but I'll hold it for some other day for the sake of completing this project first :cool:

Getting the interior done, the center console will be a nightmare but nothing that cannot be done with a little patience.
Steering column angle seems to be quite high on most pictures, now it makes more sense with the seats on.
Polycount is at 173k triangles for the entire car, so there's still room for some smoothing here and there.

screenshot033.jpg

screenshot031.jpg
screenshot032.jpg

The only physics difference between US spec and ROW spec is 10bhp and some additional weight. Given that the Ferrari is already slower than the Diablo (just) it seemed prudent to go ROW. Call it a game design decision.

Same story for the 993: to make it competitive even a little bit I went 95 instead of 94, Euro spec, with the spare tire, a/c, and a couple of other accessories deleted. As a US-spec 94 it was 3s slower than the rest of its class. Now it's almost on pace. :)

Polycount is at 173k triangles for the entire car, so there's still room for some smoothing here and there.

Damn, this is perhaps the most impressive thing. I know how to make a model look quite nice (though I don't think any of mine have looked as nice as yours), but not at those tri counts. Even the basic little FSAE car I did was at 230k, how in the world..?

Maybe in 20 years I'll be able to do it :roflmao:

Damn, this is perhaps the most impressive thing. I know how to make a model look quite nice (though I don't think any of mine have looked as nice as yours), but not at those tri counts. Even the basic little FSAE car I did was at 230k, how in the world..?

Maybe in 20 years I'll be able to do it :roflmao:

I think your cars look as good, optimizing the polycount is another deal. Mostly edge and normals work, saving polygons where possible, no real secret there.

This is going to add a little bit to the count :D
yQ_640.jpg

The car is excellent as usual, I have some Images but I calculated that they would not be necessary.
As for the interior, I think it's never too much.
View attachment 207964 View attachment 207965 View attachment 207966
I'm impressed by your 3D capabilities.

Thanks man, seeing your pics reminded me of this... seen it on the Porsche 993 as well, not sure what it is or supposed to do:
ebay144689947694058.jpg

Since we've yet to attract a sound modder and are therefore stuck using Kunos soundbanks, not really.

But in principle, yes.

Yep, while modeling the gated shifter I was thinking about that, shame we don't have anyone to do sounds.

Wrapping up for today, that center console took around 10k, and I didn't go crazy on it...!

screenshot036.jpg
screenshot035.jpg
screenshot034.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back