Cars The Need For Speed

Some of you old enough will remember it, some others don't, but back in 1994 ('95 for PC) the first game of the series came out and it was something out of this world

992229683-00.jpg

And it looked like this:
nfs.jpg

My idea is to recreate all the cars from the game, in Assetto Corsa.
We already have some of them in game, here's the complete list:

Class A (Finished):

Ferrari 512 TR (by A3DR)
Lamborghini Diablo VT (by A3DR)

Download: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-a.16905/

Class B:

Dodge Viper RT-10 (by A3DR)
Chevrolet Corvette C4 ZR-1 (by Siim Annuk)
Porsche 911 Carrera (993
) (by A3DR)

Download: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-b.20228/

Class C:

Toyota Supra (Kunos)
Acura NSX (http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/honda-nsx.4768/) (by Siim Annuk)
Mazda RX-7 (Kunos)

I'll be working with @aphidgod on the physics, so I'll keep this thread updated with the progress on the cars. I'll be making one at a time, starting with the Diablo, and release them all together as a pack. 100% personal project so sit back and enjoy the ride.
If anyone's interested enough, it would be really cool to recreate the tracks as well :)

Credits
3D Modeling / textures / Project lead: Alberto Daniel Russo @A3DR
Physics manager: Jason Coates @jcoates
Beta testers: Dale Stearns, Ron Jamieson, @CobraCat @9kret9 @Phoenix77

Last edited:
:D Love it. The weird thing I'm tinkering on at the moment is very heavily inspired by the "El Nino" fantasy car of the second game.

Personally the car i anticipate the most is the 512 TR, think I've never come cross it in a post 2000 game, and for me it (after the F40) is just 100% Ferrari design. Or at least it was when I was a kid.

I have to admit, the nostalgia factor is maybe lost on me as the first NFS's were before my time (NFSU was my first... :roflmao:).

That being said, what a brilliant bunch of cars! 512TR, Diablo and Corvette C4 are my most anticipated!

Ace idea, would have thought it far too ambitious for anyone other than you though!

:thumbsup:

Kids. Surrounded by kids. :D

Thanks to early Gran Turismo titles, I'm with you on the Cerbera though.
Damn right.

To be fair, I was born when NFS came out (just), but at that time I wasn't all that interested in racing games, I had more important things to be doing like consuming milk and sleeping. :laugh:

Any way to play NFS on a modern PC these days? I fancy seeing what all the fuss was about :D

89HANHg.gif
I have so many souvenirs of this. Some i never had again in any game. The feeling of driving not in a racetrack for once, and exploring new countries through awesome cars, and traffic (!), it left a taste of freedom to my gaming childhood!
This mod will feel a little like a dream coming true after two decades (!!)

@garyjpaterson you can try here http://playdosgamesonline.com/need-for-speed.html
it didn't age very well, but the spirit is still here
ah the interface, loading screen, tracks...these souvenirs!!!

So in advance to your mod, bravo, and thank you!

ps, for what it's worth coming from someone who didn't finish his only mod XD if i can do something to help the project, say the word! Or maybe one of the track is my destiny...

Last edited:
Kids. Surrounded by kids. :D

Thanks to early Gran Turismo titles, I'm with you on the Cerbera though.
My first real racing game (apart from Super Mario Kart) was Need For Speed: Brennender Asphalt (called High Stakes/Road Challenge everywhere else :D). Played it on my uncles brand new Win98 PC, split screen mode with my cousins. I'd still love to find its old "cop car nearby" sound effect to use as message sound on my phone or something :D

This is going to be soooo good! As someone else posted above, does this mean you guys are going to be updating the current NSX mod? It was already fantastic but never got updated.

Hooooly cow, I'm so happy to see all this interest in this project without even posting a single screenshot! :)
I wasn't going to post anything until I got the Diablo nearly finished, but well, looks like I've cought the attention of a nice bunch.

We'll see how things turn out in case I need a hand, and if someone wants to give the tracks a try, well, you're more than welcome ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.