Seeking Advice for First Build of a Sim Racing Rig

You will definitely require an adapter to mount a 70mm PCD wheel. Any wheel you could somehow affix to the 3 bolts on the Simucube base side could be too close for knuckle comfort/clearance to monitors.

Google "Simucube wheel side QR" for some options. Prices--and delivery times--vary widely. Ricomotech looks fastest, but the cost is dear and other vendors are UK/Europe based.

Depending on how you place your wheel and screens I find an extension unnecessary.
Some people have the screens between base and wheel, than you need them, on my rig the normal SC2 QR gives enough clearance with flat wheels and a dashboard (DDU) mounted to the wheel base.

Update on my build:

In transit for delivery from a variety of merchants within the next 10 days:
  • PC and Monitors
  • Wheelbase, wheel, quick release hardware
  • Pedals, Heel Rest
  • Shifter
  • Seat, Slider
Ordered, but still awaiting shipping details from Sim Lab:
  • P1X Pro
  • Free standing triple monitor support
  • Seat bracket set
  • Shifter bracket assembly
  • Keyboard tray
I believe this is pretty much everything I need to make a good start, with the exception of sound. Any recommendations in that regard?

One more thing:

As long as I am thinking about sound (and since I have dived so deeply into this rabbit hole) is there any reason not to just start with a Buttkicker or similarly simple haptic feedback solution from Day One?

For sound most people here use headphones, preferedly good audiophile ones over gaming headsets. If needs should arise later you could (literally) stick a mod mike or similar to it.
Audio clues are very important especially for "tyre feel"

The offerings of buttkicker have one thing going for them and that is ease of use.
The price/performance ratio is bad and reliability questionable as you can read in this very subforum.

I´d advise to go one step after the other and not open too many war theaters at the same time.
Get your seating position dialed in, learn to setup pedals and wheel and have fun driving.
After a month look at Simhub and it´s overlays, then maybe ask again for tactile.

Foe the price of the smallest Buttkicker package you can get 2 more capeable bassshaker, amp , soundcard and the necessary cables. Setup takes time and a little experimention, so finish step 1 first;)

One more thing:

As long as I am thinking about sound (and since I have dived so deeply into this rabbit hole) is there any reason not to just start with a Buttkicker or similarly simple haptic feedback solution from Day One?
Buttkickers are great. But if i was you and seeing youre going down the rabbit hole already id look at motion kits. The ones based off the sfx100 are relatively cheap compared to other options. 4 post one is fine to get started. Being you are using it for actual training you are really going to miss the motion cues. Youll never get g forces obviously but you can get some pretty realistic ques from these kits.

E Racing and PT Actuator both have good kits to look at. I have the E Racing 150 kit myself.

Last edited:
I can´t say anything about the Corsair headset except that personally don´t like wireless and hate RGB.

My headset is an openback Sennheiser because outside noise is not a problem for me and I don´t get "hot ears" as fast as in closed headsets.

Regarding motion the opinions differ greatly.
No consumer level motion system can deliver sustained g-forces, people don´t agree on how helpfull the small "nudges" it can do really are.
Events like crests, curbs and wheel spin can be done better and cheaper with tactile. (source: Peter Winklers build threat. But that´s a read for later)
I have no personal experience in this matter because when our Motorsport Club had Simracing events the commercial simulators on the Ring Boulevard had seats which didn´t fit my xxl physique.
From the Youtubers I see regurlarely nobody uses motion or Tactile, they probably don´t want to invest the time to tinker and get it just right. Also no E Sport drivers there but that could have reglement reasons.

Due to the level of cost and complication I´d rate motion a third level upgrade when FFB and Tactile are no longer enough.

Last edited:
I can´t say anything about the Corsair headset except that personally don´t like wireless and hate RGB.

My headset is an openback Sennheiser because outside noise is not a problem for me and I don´t get "hot ears" as fast as in closed headsets.

Regarding motion the opinions differ greatly.
No consumer level motion system can deliver sustained g-forces, people don´t agree on how helpfull the small "nudges" it can do really are.
Events like crests, curbs and wheel spin can be done better and cheaper with tactile. (source: Peter Winklers build threat. But that´s a read for later)
I have no personal experience in this matter because when our Motorsport Club had Simracing events the commercial simulators on the Ring Boulevard had seats which didn´t fit my xxl physique.
From the Youtubers I see regurlarely nobody uses motion or Tactile, they probably don´t want to invest the time to tinker and get it just right. Also no E Sport drivers there but that could have reglement reasons.

Due to the level of cost and complication I´d rate motion a third level upgrade when FFB and Tactile are no longer enough.

Curbs,wheelspin sure with tactile but how is a tactile going to replicate a crest. It cant and doesnt even make sense. You need to go up and down. The other thing is the more you ask either system to do the more muddied it becomes. Both systems are definitely a less is more thing. Just my two cents.

Also most real race team have motion on their rigs. You simply cant feel dips and irregularities in a track that upset the car without it.

Last edited:
Unless you are a hardcore audiophile, I would highly recommend the Logitech G 733 which I use every day for my work as a technical writer and also for silent sim racing without a soundbar. I often have Teams calls over an hour and the headset is lightweight and very comfortable (even on a balding head!). I have had mine for over 5 years.

Other pros:

1) Inexpensive. $149 MSRP but I purchased direct from Logi G with a 20% code. I happened to pick blue ($139 @ Amazon, but they have white and black for $119).

There is currently a sale at Logiech G which might be appealing if you need a gaming mouse or other peripheral;

20231231_111352.jpg

2) Excellent audio guality on both ends.

3) Durable. I have knocked them off my rig way too many times--a 3-foot drop onto carpet, but some headsets would be rendered useless.

4) Strap is replaceable (although I have not needed to do so.)

5) Battery life often exceeds 3-4 work days and it charges quickly via USB-C.

Con: The RGBs do make one look like a Teletubbie during video calls.

Neutral: Requires a USB-A dongle.

Curbs,wheelspin sure with tactile but how is a tactile going to replicate a crest. It cant and doesnt even make sense. You need to go up and down. The other thing is the more you ask either system to do the more muddied it becomes. Both systems are definitely a less is more thing. Just my two cents.

Let´s agree to disagree here.
For sure irl you feel the car "dropping away under you" (Hatzenbach1) or "being slammed into your body" like in the landing after or the bottom of Fuchsröhre, let alone Carraciola Karrussel.

With Tactile the dropping away part you feel more by the increased wheelslip of the front wheels and the diminishing FFB.

The "slamming part" can actually be quite violent depending on your setup.
(Believe me, slamming my simcar into the Karrussel is almost as visceral as it was with my real car. Except the simcar doesn´t bottom out on the 5. concrete slab. This "crest" is missing in AC.)

Also I´m interested which race teams use motion and their budget for it.

Also I´ve divided the feedback between the shakers so I can keep wheelslip from road feedback.

Edith:

quick Youtube tally

Static rigs J. Broadbent,
S. Brown
L. Norris
M.Charoudin
M. Verstappen

Motion D.Morad

Last edited:
Here I'm currently using the Sennheiser HD 25 Light. I can't think of better headphones for a sim-racing rig. They sound great, are small and easy to use with my VR headset, are quite comfortable, provide good isolation from the outside and are almost indestructible.

Let´s agree to disagree here.
For sure irl you feel the car "dropping away under you" (Hatzenbach1) or "being slammed into your body" like in the landing after or the bottom of Fuchsröhre, let alone Carraciola Karrussel.

With Tactile the dropping away part you feel more by the increased wheelslip and the dimishing FFB.

The "slamming part" can actually be quite violent depending on your setup.
(Believe me, slamming my simcar into the Karrussel is almost as visceral as it was with my real car. Except the simcar doesn´t bottom out on the 5. concrete slab. This "crest" is missing in AC.

Also I´m interested which race teams use motion and their budget for it.

Also I´ve divided the feedback between the shakers so I can keep wheelslip from road feedback.
Oh for sure i wasnt saying my way is the only way. We are each entitled to our own opinions.

You can google it . Most professional teams have serious sim rigs with motion waaay beyond what most of us can afford. I think most use 6dof type rigs.

For both immersion and useful feedback, I value harness tensioning over tactile,
but employ both.
I sim in home theater with 9.3 surround audio
or Sennheiser open back headphones when others might be disturbed.

Oh for sure i wasnt saying my way is the only way. We are each entitled to our own opinions.

You can google it . Most professional teams have serious sim rigs with motion waaay beyond what most of us can afford. I think most use 6dof type rigs.
That´s the point ;)

Some of us Germans are sticklers for price/performance ratio and in my opinion motion should be last of the list because of that.

As you also may have guessed I`m clearly in favor of the "stepped approach", get one thing right, then do the next.

Happy New Year all round, Carsten

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea