Seeking Advice for First Build of a Sim Racing Rig

I have triple 27-in flat monitors and am not a monitor expert, but I know there is much I do not know.

I cannot keep up with the ins and outs of G-sync, V-sync, Nsync , etc. on GPU optimization.

Implementation of the latest 2.1 DisplayPort standard is a slow and uneven which impacts various input and output devices and a GPU or monitor witn older version ports could potentially handcuff display performance.

Aspect ratio has a huge impact on your view out the windshield--your perception of the sim world. Vertical space is important if you don't want to be looking out of a tank gunner's slit on track. On the other hand, too much view of a tin top's inside roof is not helpful either. I defer to many people active here on RD who are up on the pros and cons of certain aspect ratios (especially as regards 32-in vs 34-in) or of triples vs. ultrawides like the following topics:

"Triple 32” 1440 vs 55” curved 4k?"
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...44/#:~:text=Triple 32” 1440 vs 55” curved 4k?

My concerns about GPU value would be more valid if you were spec'ing parts for a custom boutique build as opposed to an off the shelf PC. The 4080 is a better value proposition when bundled. The 4080 is certainly better than a 3090 or the 2080. However, you might not have the case space to upgrade to a 4090 or future big footprint card. I understand you need a machine NOW and want to go racing! The CPU-GPU combo you have selected is more than adequate and will allow you to run beautiful graphics settings for most sims.

I will be interested in how your sim experience compares to your track wheel time. The amount of $, prep, and tweaking involved for a screen session vs. a track session. You will be able to provide a first hand comparison for virtual Walter Mittys like myself.

There are others on RD who use their sim time to prepare for track days, club competition, and national level series. Try to mine as much data from their

You already have received some great advice regarding hardware and your choice to buy quality is wise. I hope your experience will give you as much WOW factor as I had initially. I started down the sim racing path with an Xbox 360. I had not played video games much since the Atari 2400 days, but F1 2012 offered the prospect of "driving" an F1 car, so I jumped in with an 80/20 rig copied from other designs, a 32-in Samsung TV, and a seat (actually an entire interior) fresh out of a 2012 Dodge Charger Superbee. I was hooked during driver training when I had a blowout at 180 mph and the (now modest) FFB on my first Fanatec Forza CSR wheel nearly ripped the rim from my hands. Then while flogging a sportscar in Forza, I "felt" the floor drop out from under me while descending the Corkscrew at Laguna Seca which was with purely visual cues.

Godspeed!

In shopping for seats, my head is starting to spin a bit. The SimLab P1X Pro (which I have ordered) does not include a seat slider. Some entry level seats appear to come with a slider but no brackets. Are both needed?

If it's just you racing, a seat slider is more of a convenience for ingress-egress than a necessity. Profile rigs offer relatively low-muss seat adjustment--loosen the seat mount bolts, reposition in the T-slot, and tighten.

I have never had any movement or rattle at all with my sliders and they are not expensive sliders. I would recommend using sliders. They are very practical.

Button box question:

This is the single component that I wish to start at the bottom and upgrade later.

What are the must-have features that I should seek?

Button box question:

This is the single component that I wish to start at the bottom and upgrade later.

What are the must-have features that I should seek?
You should seek what you need. Start using your rig without a button box, see what racing games you like using, see what features you would like to have control over and what controls and kind of controls you would like to have them asigned to. It's not the same if you are playing mainly F1 cars that if you prefer road cars or vintage race cars, for instance. An F1 driver is constantly tweaking his controls on the steering wheel. A GT3 driver does so too, but to a less extent and this one has room for a button box sepparate from his steering wheel. I'll tell you my case, so that you have an idea. I don't like buttons on my steering wheel. I prefer the clean look of a good rim without them and I find a bit confussing using them with my VR headset. That's why I only use button boxes and not button plates on my steering wheel. My button boxes have mainly buttons and I designed them to be simple and easy to use. Some people prefer to have also rotaries (you can select multiple positions). However, for my needs that doesn't make any sense. For instance, I never use traction control, abs or brake bias. Rotaries are great for those functions, but I don't need them. If you have a button plate on your steering wheel, consider asigning the quick and frequent functions to them and leave the button boxes for more secondary functions or operations you don't want to activate accidentally.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the thoughtful advice to get me to this point. Here is what I have ordered; expecting delivery if all components in time to be up an running in two weeks:
  1. P1X Pro + freestanding triple monitor support
  2. Heusinkveld Sprint 3-pedal set + baseplate/heelrest
  3. SimuCube 2 Pro
  4. VNM Shifter
  5. (Still deciding on monitors)
  6. (No tactile feedback devices until later)
  7. Prebuilt PC with 4080 graphics
  8. (Still deciding on button box)
  9. (Still deciding on seat)
Any advice to help me settle on 5, 8, 9?

Start using your rig without a button box, see what racing games you like using, see what features you would like to have control over and what controls and kind of controls you would like to have them asigned to.
Planning to use AC (which will be new to me) to start, and primarily interested in replicating track driving. IRL, I don’t touch anything but the rim of the wheel, stick, and pedals. In the sim, is it reasonable to get everything set up using a keyboard then just set it aside? Or are frequent adjustments needed?

Thanks for all the thoughtful advice to get me to this point. Here is what I have ordered; expecting delivery if all components in time to be up an running in two weeks:
  1. P1X Pro + freestanding triple monitor support
  2. Heusinkveld Sprint 3-pedal set + baseplate/heelrest
  3. SimuCube 2 Pro
  4. VNM Shifter
  5. (Still deciding on monitors)
  6. (No tactile feedback devices until later)
  7. Prebuilt PC with 4080 graphics
  8. (Still deciding on button box)
  9. (Still deciding on seat)
Any advice to help me settle on 5, 8, 9?
I can tell you my opinion for 9. A seat is a very personal preference. There are models for a tighter fit in which you may feel uncomfortable if you are not slim. There are also models for bigger drivers. Some people prefer conventional sport car seats with reclining backs, but I think a true racing bucket seat is a better idea. Always look for a seat made of fiberglass (or carbon fiber if you are rich). They are lighter, more comfortable and shakers can be screwed to them very easily. Most people preffer cloth bucket seats. There are some models with some kind of mesh cloth that is suppose to be keep you cool. Personally, I like bucket seats wrapped in skai (artificial leather), simply because they do not collect dust and dirt and are extremely easy to clean. As long and your rig is not outside under the sunlight, it will not be any hotter than cloth.

I can tell you my opinion for 9. A seat is a very personal preference. There are models for a tighter fit in which you may feel uncomfortable if you are not slim.
A local store has dozens of seats in stock. I’m comfortable in most any seat, so I had to resist the urge to just buy something online. I’ll keep in mind your suggestion to choose Fiberglas for future tactile device installation.

Planning to use AC (which will be new to me) to start, and primarily interested in replicating track driving. IRL, I don’t touch anything but the rim of the wheel, stick, and pedals. In the sim, is it reasonable to get everything set up using a keyboard then just set it aside? Or are frequent adjustments needed?
I don't like the idea of a keyboard on a rig. Do you really need it? I don't think so. What would you need to type while sitting on your cockpit? You can always map Enter, ESC and some other keys or keys combinations to work on your button box while in Content Manager. A mouse is essential, because you cannot control Content Manager without it.

One of the advantages of button boxes is that they look cool and add realism to the look of your rig. You will rather use a button box instead of your keyboard or mouse to start AC, to leave it, to restart a race, to turn your headlights or wipers on or off, pause the game, change cameras, adjust your seat position or your mirrors, increase or decrease the force feedback, the time of the day, cycle between your different HUDs, etc.

Now that I remember, if you are using triples, a very good idea could be a Stream deck. It has lots of illuminated and customizable buttons. Many sim racers use it. You don't even need to know programming to customize the different functions, or so they say.

Last edited:
Instead of a button box you might want to look at dashboards and id look at the NRG seats. They are very comfortable,come in different widths and are reasonably priced. You dont need to spend 500 plus dollars for a seat for sim racing its not going to save your life here.lol

Instead of a button box you might want to look at dashboards and id look at the NRG seats. They are very comfortable,come in different widths and are reasonably priced. You dont need to spend 500 plus dollars for a seat for sim racing its not going to save your life here.lol
True. I always speak as a VR user and forgot about dashboards. Not essential, because you can also set your screen to see the simulated dashboard, but hey, they look cool and you can use SimHub to customize it and see the info you want. Some people also use the sim-racing version of the Racelogic.

Good tips. I love the idea of a dashboard. I very nearly purchased a NRG seat online last night for $250. Sound about right?
Yes thats what i paid for mine. I have a dash and find its easier especially since im always using vr. I know all the buttons are directly in front of me. Where the button box i always seem to fumble with in vr.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Thursday

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • Friday

Votes: 49 37.1%
  • Saturday

Votes: 79 59.8%