Seeking Advice for First Build of a Sim Racing Rig

Open back isn't necessarily better than closed back. The former tend to provide better soundstage and are less stressing for your ears. However, you will hear the surrounding sounds and the rest of the people will hear the sound from your headphones. I prefer open back headphones for listening to music (Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro). However, for my cockpit I don't need such perfect and crystalline sound but some isolation and smaller size.

Last edited:
That´s the point ;)

Some of us Germans are sticklers for price/performance ratio and in my opinion motion should be last of the list because of that.

As you also may have guessed I`m clearly in favor of the "stepped approach", get one thing right, then do the next.

Happy New Year all round, Carsten

I like this idea. Are there any considerations during initial setup to make it easier to add this option at a later time?
Not really with the p1x. Pt Actuator has a nice one that works with SRS. You can use SRS to control motion and tactile too.

Are there any considerations during initial setup to make it easier to add this option at a later time?
- Minimize friction for harness tensioning by rollers at seat back ports.

- Install tensioners at seat back base (e.g. above sliders)
to reduce motor noise heard.

IMG_20210806_100127.jpg

Last edited:
My headset is an openback Sennheiser because outside noise is not a problem for me and I don´t get "hot ears" as fast as in closed headsets.
As I recall, I had good luck with this brand many years ago, and the newer technology does quite a nice job in creating a good sound image, particularly with open back design. While some of the first ones I looked at are quite expensive (>$1K), I settled on the Sennheiser HD 560S, which was not much more than many of the other entry- to mid-level options.

If you still have it that could do for now until you know what you really want
( headset, 12.2 AV?;))

Another good and valid question would be with which sim you want to start?
I do almost exclusively Asseto Corsa the original and that is stereo.

For your goal to simulate your M Car this would be the sim to go as it has the car and Sebring (as a mod track)

Last edited:
I do almost exclusively Asseto Corsa the original and that is stereo.

For your goal to simulate your M Car this would be the sim to go as it has the car and sebring (as a mod track)
It was actually Assetto Corsa that attracted me to the idea of sim racing at the outset. As you stated, it seems to cover both of my primary criteria.

As of now, I have everything for my build except the chassis. I ordered from Sim Lab about three weeks ago, but they still have not shipped. Trak Racer's web site shows the TR160 status as "in stock." The Sim Lab rig is more aesthetically pleasing, but the immediate availability of the TR160 is quite tempting.

P1X has shipped in eight boxes (from NE to US). It appears that each one has $28.10 of customs due for a total of $224.80. Seems excessive to me. Is this typical?

Last edited:
After the first week of driving it, I am now trying to get the seat and controls positioned correctly. One challenge is the pedal deck height. The bracket does not seem to be designed to permit the pedal deck to be lowered between the 160mm side rails.

Here is the recommended orientation of the pedal deck (per the assembly instructions):
P1X_Pedal_Bracket_Recommended_Orientation.jpg

I could mount it upside down like this (Photoshop manipulation, not from the SimLab assembly instructions):
P1X_Pedal_Bracket_Upside_Down.jpg

I actually don't want the pedal deck to be quite that low, but it would be structurally sound, I think, and I could build the heigh back up to where I need it.

Thoughts?

There was more room to position the pedal deck when the outside profiles still had 4 slots :O_o:

Would it be possible to mount it right side up but with the bolts in the lower slot?
(guessing here, my rig has four slots there)

Would it be possible to mount it right side up but with the bolts in the lower slot?
(guessing here, my rig has four slots there)
Actually I thought of that and that would indeed solve my problem, but the top portion of bracket doesn’t fit fully between the rails. Apparently it’s just slightly wider. I emailed SimLab to inquire.

- Minimize friction for harness tensioning by rollers at seat back ports.

- Install tensioners at seat back base (e.g. above sliders)
to reduce motor noise heard.

IMG_20210806_100127.jpg
Good to know, as I'll be mounting mine soon. The sliders/rollers something you custom printed or are they available for purchase? I have the Advanced Sim Racing formula seat on the rig I'll be mounting these on. Looks like a great idea.

Actually I thought of that and that would indeed solve my problem, but the top portion of bracket doesn’t fit fully between the rails. Apparently it’s just slightly wider. I emailed SimLab to inquire.
How much is "slightl"?

If we´re talking 1 or 2mm you could loosen the bolts that hold the transverse frame part under seat profiles, position the pedal deck and retighten.
Before, that could easily lead to scratches :O_o:

Another possibility could be to mount the pedals directly to the Simlab pedal deck, that also saves a few mm.

"Interesting" would be to find a way to mount the heelrest as HSV only includes TSlot nuts for the pedals (M5)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.