RD Rally Championship Season 8 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess, either an error or a bit of code put in there in advance of the dirt4 release. i suppose the code for the online leagues is not in the game but on the dedicated servers, isn't it?

Leagues are just timing and stage settings servers. At start it's an anti cheat check and tell your pc what stage and weather, then after your game will upload your time to the racenet servers. All the racing happens singleplayer. I think they are trying stuff before release of dirt 4 what the better settings are.

About restarting stages: To be honest, I think codemasters should just go slowest time holds. So if you needed to restart, if new time slower that sticks. If you happen to improve, though luck.
Because in dirt4... Driving the stages more than once is a major advantage.
And if the first time sticks, then after 4 stages a crash. You just restart now and all times hold up. If the slowest holds, they have to at least do better next time for the slowest time to hold.

About restarting stages: To be honest, I think codemasters should just go slowest time holds. So if you needed to restart, if new time slower that sticks. If you happen to improve, though luck.
Because in dirt4... Driving the stages more than once is a major advantage.
And if the first time sticks, then after 4 stages a crash. You just restart now and all times hold up. If the slowest holds, they have to at least do better next time for the slowest time to hold.

There is another solution as well. To remove checkpoints. In all fairness, the season have not been hampered with CTD's and tech.issues after the start of the rally. And in the previous 7 seasons there was never any restarts or anything. Tech.issues was seen as the same as mech.failures in real rally.
Under testing it felt like DiRT was much more unstable, in hindsight it seems like there was certain triggers for the issues. And a very few selected users that have some more issues that others.

All in all, we have to check how DiRT 4 works, but I guess it's going to be just as stable, if not more stable than DiRT Rally, and if so, I don't see any reason for having checkpoints in the future.

one reason is: one can spread the rally out over several days, doing it all in one 90 min go may not be feasible for all players. We used to do it in the old RBR days and I really enjoyed having to do all stages in a given time corridor, however, today, i might probably not always be able to do it at a certain night at a given time, so for me the ability to save and then go on is great. All we need is a league system which only allows one start ever for each stage for each player. that would be the best.

There is another solution as well. To remove checkpoints.
Unless I'm confused, that doesn't really solve it. If you imagine an 18 stage rally with no checkpoints at all, then a strategy which takes advantage for Codies' fail would be to split it into 3 segments, each of 6 stages. So: 6 fast, then restart game and do that 6 slowly, then the next 6 fast, then restart and do 12 slowly and the final 6 fast. End result: you never have more than 6 stages of wear and tear on your car, and you only have to drive the entire rally twice. Not exactly prohibitively difficult for someone who wants to do it...
You also get to throw in an extra restart any time you like if you have a crash (which could of course add anything up to another 17 stages of boredom each time it happens).

Edit: personally I like checkpoints as I don't always have the time or the inclination to do it all in one stint.

one reason is: one can spread the rally out over several days, doing it all in one 90 min go may not be feasible for all players. We used to do it in the old RBR days and I really enjoyed having to do all stages in a given time corridor, however, today, i might probably not always be able to do it at a certain night at a given time, so for me the ability to save and then go on is great. All we need is a league system which only allows one start ever for each stage for each player. that would be the best.

That would be the best, but if the system is the same as today, I guess that would be the way to go. Also, if it would be no checkpoints, it would still be a weekly thing like now. And you would be able to leave the game on, take a smoke, a walk and eat dinner before doing more stages, as there are no time limit like in RSRBR :)

Unless I'm confused, that doesn't really solve it. If you imagine an 18 stage rally with no checkpoints at all, then a strategy which takes advantage for Codies' fail would be to split it into 3 segments, each of 6 stages. So: 6 fast, then restart game and do that 6 slowly, then the next 6 fast, then restart and do 12 slowly and the final 6 fast. End result: you never have more than 6 stages of wear and tear on your car, and you only have to drive the entire rally twice. Not exactly prohibitively difficult for someone who wants to do it...
You also get to throw in an extra restart any time you like if you have a crash (which could of course add anything up to another 17 stages of boredom each time it happens).

Nope, that would not be possible. No checkpoints means that if you force the game to shut down, get CTD or whatever, you cannot restart. As you have already started on SS1, and the game won't ever put you back on SS0. Not even leaving and rejoining the RaceNet group will do that.

No checkpoint is pretty hardcore :ninja:

I don't mind tbh, seeing as though they don't even seem to work properly these days. Just gotta put aside a couple of hours or leave it running in the background. Interesting to see the lengths of the rallys though, as we will be able to get some at 16km in Dirt 4.

I can imagine some sheer frustration if someone accidentally closes it down, or you get a powercut or something. No more rally for you! "Mechanical/technical issues" :laugh::cry:

• Deleted member 217114

I would love the no checkpoint too. Maybe instead of one week you make it two. So everyone has plenty of time to make enough time. But who knows codies come up with for d4, your stage, leagues, this kind of cheating and cheating in general.

To people who read this I am watching you. And you know I am still watching.

I run out of time to run Germany but i did a nice 37th position overall!
You can check the highlights here:

See you on the last round at Wales!

Attachments

• 18056994_1904903456420090_409419541924998388_n.png
    18056994_1904903456420090_409419541924998388_n.png
    346.6 KB · Views: 162
No Checkpoints...puh! I don't think it would be good as I'm one of the guys who splits his rallies into 2 or even 3 days. I never have time at the weekend so I have to drive under the week after work - and it forces me to concentrate a lot which I'm unfortunately not able to do over a period of more than one hour :(

Regarding the cheaters: I think there will always be possibilities to cheat and also there will always people using this "advantage" for themselves - that's life! Also I'm pretty sure that they are in the minority!!!!!
As this is a hobby for me and fun is the thing I want to have, I don't really care. There are lot of people who are faster than me without cheating and if there are some more who cheat...well. Those guys have their own conscience to deal with - not my problem. There's always someone to fight with in a leaderboard and that's what it's all about (for me).

As long as I have fun and not a feeling that there are cheaters all over the leaderboard, it's ok for me!

Checkpoints could still be used if the server required you to finish the stage if you start it. If a stage is started but not finished it will be a DNF, so no more exit the game restart at checkpoint exploits.

Superb!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Could you ask him if created stages by a league admin can be downloaded and driven only when competing in the league event or even before (i.e. when the league has been created and everybody can see the schedule for a rally)? Please :)

Last edited:
Superb!!!!

Could you ask him if created stages by a league admin can be downloaded and driven onyl when competing in the league event or even before (i.e. when the league has been created)? Please :)

Not sure I completely get what you mean?

As far as I know a league admin can generate stages and set all parameters he wants directly from the Racenet web page. Nobody will be able to run these stages before the set start time of the event.

Not sure I completely get what you mean?

As far as I know a league admin can generate stages and set all parameters he wants directly from the Racenet web page. Nobody will be able to run these stages before the set start time of the event.
Ok, you got what I meant ;)
That sounds good, too. So D4 could get a real good one!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's count down the days as I preordered it already last week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back