RD Rally Championship Season 8 - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you imagine an 18 stage rally with no checkpoints at all, then a strategy which takes advantage for Codies' fail would be to split it into 3 segments, each of 6 stages. So: 6 fast, then restart game and do that 6 slowly, then the next 6 fast, then restart and do 12 slowly and the final 6 fast. End result: you never have more than 6 stages of wear and tear on your car, and you only have to drive the entire rally twice. Not exactly prohibitively difficult for someone who wants to do it...
You also get to throw in an extra restart any time you like if you have a crash (which could of course add anything up to another 17 stages of boredom each time it happens).

@Neil rdrc I mean no disrepect towards anyone with regards to what is said below. It`s a generalisation on your quote above and of people today.

If people, do what you said above. In my book, that is a questionable fail on the Developers part in a Game :mad:.

What happened to honor and fair play in general, with gamers, without exploiting,cheating or using a work around to get a second chance or become no 1 in a game?
:mad: (not directed at anyone just in general)
I remember the good old days when people had respect and honor for their fellow gamer's and didn't exploit, cheat, etc. Ive seen it change in the last 5-20 years from being respectable in general to becoming rather toxic for games, especially with regards to the younger gaming audience 10-18 on consoles and pc's who have little, to no respect for their fellow gamers :cry: But some do have respect !!!

Codemasters should allow people who make Rally Leagues, like RDRC the option to allow NO RESTARTS (unless already added) in the league options when it`s made, Like in the Daily's , Weekly's, Monthly's. That way, the problem will be solved but it wont stop the people who are cheaters, Like the ALT+F4 exploit was a unwelcome one, as i watched so many people on Twitch who exploited this in Dirt Rally, as this way, If you go all out and if you crash really bad, Then you can restart. It was VERY BAD, Until the devs fixed it, Finally ..... :) No i did not use it, encase anyone asks.

I expect serious flack for what i posted above, but its my own opinion on the matter.
I mean NO DISREPECT TO ANYONE OR RACEDEPARTMENT.

What happened to honor and fair play in general
Hey, no offence taken. (Luckily I was wrong about it even being possible if you take away all of the checkpoints.)
But I have to say I think cheating has always been around. It was certainly around when I started playing computer games over 30 years ago (not online, admittedly ;-)) and I'm pretty confident that Stone Age Man probably cheated at games too. Hell, even animals cheat at games, given a chance :p
As others have said, we'll just have to make our peace with it and let the consciences of those who cheat bother them. That's in the absence of a bunch of devs who actively work to counter cheaty tactics of course.

@LuMue From what i have seen/heard, stages will be generated by league. The code for that stage generation will be sent to the driver before the start of the stage. Then the stage generator will load up that stage for you to run. So impossible to run the stages before an event.

yet is real life rally competitors get to recce a stage to make notes etc at least 2 times. Surely on the basis of reality there should be a way of coding 2-3 runs "recce" before the event.

Yeah, that would be very nice, but there is still something appealing about the idea of everybody driving a stage totally cold, with just the (hopefullynotflaky) notes to guide them.

Ok, you got what I meant ;)
That sounds good, too. So D4 could get a real good one!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's count down the days as I preordered it already last week...
in that case, once the event is started, like a real rally there should be a way to configure a recce session. Even if the event has a 7 day window, and someone can only start on the 7th day, they should be able to still do a recce, once "2 runs" through that stage has been done it is locked out of the recce mode, then you can only run the stages competitively. Maybe a bogey recce time can be set? So any competitor driving it too fast gets a penalty? It's all got to be feasible somewhere in the league settings because once an event has been started you can't go back with the AltF4 modification. Needs a bit more thinking about but jeese it can't be rocket science?

Yeah, that would be very nice, but there is still something appealing about the idea of everybody driving a stage totally cold, with just the (hopefullynotflaky) notes to guide them.
Neil, I take on board what you say it being appealing , but running a stage blind competitively would favour mainly experienced RL competitors who have the skills to read a road/stage judging corner severity via the vanishing point of corners, VR would be very good for this. A driving method I was taught by police advanced driving instructors. But as I have already said in reply to a couple of comments already, in the search for competition reality I think a recce session should exist alongside the event proper. Back when I used to do single venue events we were allowed to go round the course on bicycles. Maybe the devs of Dirt4 can introduce recce cars something slow and non competitive?

@RS200WRX Trev
If i am not mistaken, that question has been asked and there was no recce in dirt 4.
They could just limit the car speed to 70km/h, but on the other hand. Who has freaking time to do a 150km ( or more?) rally in stages at 70km/h? (because speed limits!)
How long before there is a league which only does 16km stages in a rally? Brutal

• Deleted member 217114

Maybe some of minigame with recce. You only have 1 or two recces where the AI drives the car for you, and you quickly have to click on a set of pacenotes while the car drives. This for ultimate pacenote realism. :laugh:

VR would be very good for this.
As an Oculus driver, it probably wouldn't. The resolution is too low to see much in the distance which is why it's not that great for flight sims (you need to enlarge other aeroplanes to even see them before they shoot you (DCS :))).

To the point more specifically, I'd love to see the recce option but it would need edited pace notes. More importantly, to move from game to simulation, you'd need to have much more varying surfaces. I know Codies tried to add some variability with the invisi-rocks and odd bumps (which literally can't be seen in VR) but the problem with "learning" tracks at the moment is the repeatability is so high. I've seen some "WR" on youtube where just crazy things are being done to be the top because you can find these (magic jumps, huge cuts, reversals into hairpins on the rev limiter...) and that's what gamers do, max out the game (while sim'rs cringe).

At the moment Dirt is bridging gamers and sim drivers. I'm a sim driver, so I'm going to want it to be more sim like. Perhaps a survey to see what people want from this championship? I'd love to do long stages, 10 minutes of driving not worrying about whether every line was perfect but just reacting and find some flow (but that's just me). I can't wait for the track variation in Dirt4 and have pre-ordered to encourage the "game" along.

Who made the shakedown of Whales? There are no change to make setups. Quite hard to compare times if you are doing with Mini Wrc default setups which are total mess.

Maybe some of minigame with recce. You only have 1 or two recces where the AI drives the car for you, and you quickly have to click on a set of pacenotes while the car drives. This for ultimate pacenote realism. :laugh:

Hey hey hey, I need to be able to steer to make my notes :)
Blog-3_Hayden%20Paddons%20steering%20wheel.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play