License Discussion/Issues

Does anyone know how I can get BTB to work? I've purchased the license and had the program running for a few months, the BTB website says my current license expires 24th November, I've made no changes to my PC and the clock has not been changed yet apparently my license has expired!
I've re-downloaded the current license to no avail. No emails have been answered regarding this hence posting the question here.

As there are always quite a few threads popping up, I have posted up one 'super-thread' for all licensing issues.

All posts on this subject since the start of 2011 are included.

Please use this thread for all license problems in future :)

Yet another licence problem!

My licence ran out, I created a new HID and submitted it. I have now recieved my new licence but I still get the 'locked' message. There have been NO CHANGES whatsoever to my system.

The chances of Brendan reading this are remote but I'm getting thoroughly cheesed off with this happening for software I have paid for! Legal action will be my next stop if this is not sorted.

This licence seems to cause so many problems and so far I have not downloaded the cracked version which are all over the net if you look hard enough. I want to support the small software provider but this system is making it so hard.

Agree to that. It may not be perfect, but especially if you've already paid for it, I'd say there is no reason not to (especially since it may help prevent similar problems in the future).

Personally, I tend to download the cracked versions first - since I don't want hassle with inserting cd's or dvd's into my computer every time I'd like to run a program - and if I then like it enough to keep using it, legalize my download by buying the official version (although this then serves mainly as a backup). Bought a lot of stuff that way.

Well after a bit of research, the bobstrackbuilder.net website is not compliant with UK advertising laws, which now cover the internet!
I've also found a couple of email address, phone number, fax number and home address for Brendan. Now just to wait sufficient time for any response and if none received all the info gets passed to my legal representative.
This situation is totally unacceptable. If this license system was built-in to stop 'hackers and crackers' it certainly not working.

It's worth pointing out that Windows XP is listed as a prerequisite (on the Purchase page), so if you use Vista or 7 you'll be out of luck. Even if it worked perfectly until now, you'd still be using an unsupported OS.

For what it's worth, I agree that it's a rotten situation, but I don't think Brendan would be so quiet without a good reason.

I'm using XP Pro, and it was all done as Administrator.
But if someone is going to receive money for a product they have to accept that if things are wrong it is their responsibility to address the situation, not just ignore it and hope the community solves the problem.

You got that right. What bothers me is that even when he chose to abandon the program and this forum, he never made a notice of this at the main site of bobs track builder. As if you buy a car but there is no factory with spare parts and you have to rely on other drivers who have the same car..

piddy did say he would be away for a while as he was offered work, the rumours were that the employer was sony for the GT5 track maker. all seems true as the gt5 track maker hadn't even been announced at that point.
i dont have any issues running BTB (yet), but soon i will be upgrading my OS and can see there is going to be an issue.
mainly the BTB website is due to expire sep 2011. http://whois.domaintools.com/bobstrackbuilder.net
i was hoping by now piddy would have been back and finally finished 1.0.

***i think as a community we need a plan.***

just to add> it was lack of paying users and people using cracked copies that caused piddy the need to get a day job and create the crappy license system.

just to add> it was lack of paying users and people using cracked copies that caused piddy the need to get a day job and create the crappy license system.

I understand if such program doesn't generate enough revenue to not having to get a day job. But I don't understand why to punish those users that really pay for the product. Irony is that some of those legit users have needed to get themselves a pirated copy.

I would expect software developers to understand that there is piracy and not much cannot be done with it. There is no protection system that cannot be cracked. When one wants to create a software, he/she needs to accept this fact. You can still make the software to be sold in reasonable price, and those who like to support the developer, WILL pay for it. If its enough to earn a living - nobody knows. Might be that Piddy would have earned his living if ALL the BTB users would have paid for it, but such utopia just does not exist.

I understand if such program doesn't generate enough revenue to not having to get a day job. But I don't understand why to punish those users that really pay for the product. Irony is that some of those legit users have needed to get themselves a pirated copy.

I would expect software developers to understand that there is piracy and not much cannot be done with it. There is no protection system that cannot be cracked. When one wants to create a software, he/she needs to accept this fact. You can still make the software to be sold in reasonable price, and those who like to support the developer, WILL pay for it. If its enough to earn a living - nobody knows. Might be that Piddy would have earned his living if ALL the BTB users would have paid for it, but such utopia just does not exist.

i am a paid user, the cracked copy was released well before piddy went and got a day job.
he was just one man making a tool for a very niche community, a very small community.
look where we are now, paid software and no updates/support/contact. so wouldnt you rather have paid and still be getting support? and the software in development?

anyways back on topic.. i think i have located piddys current job.
he working at a bank from what i can tell.
i write games and apps and was thinking if piddy has given up maybe he will sell the source code so BTB might reach a stable 1.0.

I'm thinking about buying this software but I'm not so sure now. Have none of the people that have bought licenses then been left high and dry ever thought of asking PayPal or their Credit Card company to dispute the transaction and get it refunded?

I bought some software through one of those agents and it just didn't do what it said in the advertising. I spoke to my credit card company and they got a full refund of the monies that I had paid.

Pete

Purchase Licence and Setup

Is there anyway I can buy a license and set this software up so that I don't run into the problems a lot of members are having with the licenses.

I don't want to adopt the 'hack' approach and would rather see proper support for software licenses even if the developer isn't doing any more development, he should at least make sure people who are buying the product can get up and running with what they have paid for.

Pete

Hi Pete

I've only tried the full version in win7 64bit and XP 32bit

i've had trouble in win7 64bit, it won't recognise the license, so i only got the 30day trial period. i don't know what to do about that. I'm not sure if it works ok for anyone on win7?

winxp 32bit it works just fine. i use only a 1 month license period each time i renew, incase i need to update my hardware, so at worst i'll be locked out for a max of 29 days. A renewal of license has always been within a few of hours for me, so i'm very happy with that.

The wesite expicitly mentions that BTB has only be developed only with XP and therefore is the only officially supported OS (way back when support was available).

i think i read somewhere that any cracked version that may or may not exist has a virus of somesort with it. Not to imply that you or anyone is/are or would use that, though it does seem a logical option for a win7 registration fix, and possibly morally justifiable if you had already paid for the software. But i say again, i've heard there is a virus.

If you're running win7, unless there is a different folder that the license needs to be in (like the userdata for rF in win7) it probably won't work. XP you should be fine - just get the license 1 month at a time.

If you're running win7, unless there is a different folder that the license needs to be in (like the userdata for rF in win7) it probably won't work. XP you should be fine - just get the license 1 month at a time.

My games machine runs Win 7 64 bit but I have an XP machine that has the right graphics card so I'll be using that. I need to check how the license system works, I presume that is on the website.

Pete

I've had a look at the website and it talks about a one time fee. I presume once you purchase the license then you can specify how long you want each license to last?

I have a number of PC's at home so I presume that I should download the Pro version and pay for the license on the machine that I'm going to use it on ??

TIA,

Pete

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back