How good is Automobilista ?

Well I've been using iRacing since it came out and I just stopped by membership, thats how good Automobilista is ! Ok so I don't race online as much anymore, the scheduling was a pain.
When I quit I told iRacing that this Automobilista just has it all. In some ways its very similar to iRacing, it puts the racing above everything else. The AI is the best I've ever seen, and there fast without being too aggressive.
As far as the graphics and sound, they deliver. They may not be as glitzy as Assetto Corsa or PCars, but as someone said before, If your that busyy looking at everything , your not going fast enough.
Well Done indeed, and I'm a person who thought GPl was the sim, so I can't wait for the old vintage Formula 67 and 69 cars too come out !

I am fully aware that Reiza cannot produce modding tools for AMS but modders are free to produce mods and we are free to install and use them and to tell people about them.
And as far as I can tell this makes the situations no different from GSCE for the most part. In fact I can't think of anything different about it other than the assurance there won't be any tools provided in the future, a lack of which never held us back much in the past.

And as far as I can tell this makes the situations no different from GSCE for the most part. In fact I can't think of anything different about it other than the assurance there won't be any tools provided in the future, a lack of which never held us back much in the past.

It was never an issue with GSCE because it used purely the gMotor 2.0 engine from rF1, which was written by ISI as mod friendly. I'm not entirely up-to-date with the situation regarding AMS, whether there has already been some change to the file format, which would not allow mods to be exported easily. As long as the format remains reasonably close to rF1, it won't be a huge issue I agree.

@John-Eric Saxén I think maybe there have been a few changes to file format that have harmed the ability to do things like alter the behavior of existing cars to tweak their performance that are used to simulate things like different F1 teams when using a given Reiza F1 category, but that's pretty limited and I'm not sure if we'll see much more of that kind of file format changing in the life of AMS.

You can use upgrades.ini to alter some aspects of this. See here:

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/upgrade-ini-question.121348/

What modders there are shouldn't have too many problems with AMS with so much rFactor knowledge still applicable. I suppose the problem may come with Reiza17 if the new development requires a lot of changes. Personally, I wonder if the agreement with ISI will still hold then as I suppose it really depends on RF2 continuing to be supported and who knows if that will still be true in a year or two.

file format hasnt been changed. files remain encrypted though. in gsce game engine used was pure rf1 engine with plugins. sourcecode is now licensed. reiza made since many changes physicswise and never gave any relative data to the public/modders.

Lately i found myself to appreciate even more this game.
It has probably the best sounds of all games i own (AC, Raceroom, rF2, dirt ).
The combination of sounds and camera movement + transmission model , really makes you feel that you have a beast to control.
I find all cars really interesting.
FFB is great too ( i like AC or rF2 better though).
Car models are really descent but not tracks.
Graphics are so old. Still i would say almost as par as rF2.

In a previous comment i said that i don't recomment this game.
Now i am not sure. For GSCE it's a gift but for a new comer i am not sure.

Over the limit is has this rfactor-ish feeling that i drive something like this
IMG_6367.jpg

It's like rear end it just skipping.
I had this feeling also in rF2 but they kind of fixed it recently (not completely)

AC drives better, feels through wheel better, has better graphics.
AMS has better sounds, mechanical feeling , all the ISI things flag rules etc + dirt on tyres which rf2 lacks and also the rare content.

As result, if someone can afford the free time, yes buy this game.
If not wait for Reiza 17 (or else).

Isn't that what should happen when you're driving it over the limit? ;)

Just recently watched videos of Nordschleife Touristday crashes - ALL lose their back.

Yes, but I feel that the tyres are not connected. The rear will slide like some scripted manner. I will wait to simply end. No tank slapper ever.
In rF2 in recent updates, it's much more connected.
In AC you feel so connected, micro adjustments in traction or slip. It's the best in over the limit area.
Sorry I can't explain better.
But for me is very obvious. I can tell which game I drive with closed eyes.

I had RF1 and RF2 and AMS is just so much better, but its all mostly little things that just add up to a great experience. They all have there place and I remeber them all for different things, but AMS is impressing me very much. I was in the Project CARS beta as well, and its the only beta I was ever involved in, where the sim actully got worse as it went along. Yes it got better looking, but it wasn't optized at all and got to the point I couldn't even run it at all with my PC. One of the main reasons I like AMS it runs great and looks good enough to race with other cars.

Yes, but I feel that the tyres are not connected. The rear will slide like some scripted manner. I will wait to simply end. No tank slapper ever.
In rF2 in recent updates, it's much more connected.
In AC you feel so connected, micro adjustments in traction or slip. It's the best in over the limit area.
Sorry I can't explain better.
But for me is very obvious. I can tell which game I drive with closed eyes.

I'm not agree,

Keeping personal taste aside, ams ffb have more dynamic range and less latency than ac, I can get more info from the car in ams, and find it much more enjoyable driving on the limit.

I'm not agree,

Keeping personal taste aside, ams ffb have more dynamic range and less latency than ac, I can get more info from the car in ams, and find it much more enjoyable driving on the limit.

+1

AC is very good when the car is a little bit past the grip peak, but it's too easy to "dance" around the limit. There are many cars where it's mainly about entering the corner as quick as possible and just smash the throttle, with nothing between. AMS has got better past the grip peak, mainly because of the new pneumatic trail/SAT code, that gives a more realistic FFB, but in some cars it's still a bit too hard to play around with the rear end when you are over the limit (mainly in formula cars, the rest are fine). However it's better than AC when you drive around the limit, this limit is more limited than in AC, so you have to be more precise with your inputs. It also gives way more road feeling to me, though I think this is more to do with track modelling and the higher physics rate.

+1

AC is very good when the car is a little bit past the grip peak, but it's too easy to "dance" around the limit. There are many cars where it's mainly about entering the corner as quick as possible and just smash the throttle, with nothing between. AMS has got better past the grip peak, mainly because of the new pneumatic trail/SAT code, that gives a more realistic FFB, but in some cars it's still a bit too hard to play around with the rear end when you are over the limit (mainly in formula cars, the rest are fine). However it's better than AC when you drive around the limit, this limit is more limited than in AC, so you have to be more precise with your inputs. It also gives way more road feeling to me, though I think this is more to do with track modelling and the higher physics rate.
It sounds like how the car behaves on the v10 tyres in AC, for example the 488 GTB with low or no TC. Even with 1/4 tc it can get sideways and not easy or possible to recover. So careful with acceleration and corners. The GTE and hypercars are on the newer model as well. Not as sketchy for the GT cars because of their downforce and Soft tyres when warm enough to grip but can be lost in certain corners.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.