How good is Automobilista ?

Well I've been using iRacing since it came out and I just stopped by membership, thats how good Automobilista is ! Ok so I don't race online as much anymore, the scheduling was a pain.
When I quit I told iRacing that this Automobilista just has it all. In some ways its very similar to iRacing, it puts the racing above everything else. The AI is the best I've ever seen, and there fast without being too aggressive.
As far as the graphics and sound, they deliver. They may not be as glitzy as Assetto Corsa or PCars, but as someone said before, If your that busyy looking at everything , your not going fast enough.
Well Done indeed, and I'm a person who thought GPl was the sim, so I can't wait for the old vintage Formula 67 and 69 cars too come out !

Just have to post that here.

How good is AMS?
It's so good it makes me smile.

Just finished a 10 minutes Opala race on VIR South and then joined an (sadly empty) server hosting F3 309, i thought "well, why not?". Haven't been in an open wheeler since quite some time (except taking the F-Vintage for a short spin - literally *g*) and oh boy, i enjoyed that a lot, i was seriously sitting there with a big fat smile on my face.

I've done an extensive modification of all the vehicle files so the cars appears correctly in AMS. I'll post it as soon as I come back home at the end of August.

A second question. Is there also a fix that is manageable for the shaders? I can see how fixing the names will help in the menu, so opponents can be selected, etc., but a shader fix would pretty much bring us back to full operations :) Right now, the cars are usuable, but rather ugly due to the mismatch.

You can ask me for everything about physics but I'm a total ignorant concerning graphics and modeling in general.

In any case IMHO they are 'fine' anyway.

Well hopefully someone who understands the graphics side of things can help us to know what is involved in applying the new AMS shaders that have been changed since GSCE. Your edits will make the whole mod easier to use so it will then be worthwhile worrying about the graphics.

Done one offline race so far with the AMS version of the EEC mod but never driven Enduracers stuff in a Reiza sim. The EEC mod has 30 cars total so covers a good part of the GT3 field. The couple of cars I drove felt pretty good and the AI pace seemed okay to me even though the EEC focus is on MP only. I think they are quite open about the source of the models but it doesn't really bother me too much.

Off topic, IMO,

These mods are what has killed the sim racing genre. We all hear the cries, why hasn't the simulation improved, why has it been 10 years since a title came along that was better than the previous generation.

Could it be that regardless of what methods the dev's implement to protect their content... someone out there who could care less spreads ripped mods to the public. Most of the time incomplete and substandard compared to the legitimate content on whatever platform used.

Why would anyone make an effort to invest the time and money to make a high fidelity simulation for the public, when in every case in the past the content was stolen? Better to dupe the masses into believing that they have a stake in "the best sim ever" and then deliver something that will be just good enough, so as not to be sued for fraud.

I have converted tonnes of stuff for myself and others, but not for the public. Its about respecting others.

Anyhow this argument is circular and really has gone nowhere in the history of sim racing. No doubt we will hear a plethora of excuses and justifications. I have heard them all. Carry on.

Cheers

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
To be honest I wish we wouldn't need to have this many mods and cars from other games (or that modding wasn't needed at all), but I can only say the responsible for this are series management/manufacturers/tracks (and the agencies that license their stuff) and in some cases the devs themselves.
That's just my opinion ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

... No doubt we will hear a plethora of excuses and justifications. I have heard them all. Carry on.

I agree that someone with your pure ethics should never visit a place like this again. Or, you should lobby to get the downloads section, which I am sure you never use, shut down completely so it will be acceptable to be associated with this site. As members, we are all part of the problem, not the solution.

... No doubt we will hear a plethora of excuses and justifications. I have heard them all. Carry on.
I don't think there is anything that can be used an excuse or justification at all. (if that makes any sense, don't know how to explain this :D)
I believe tho... there is 3 or 4 devs/studios that could work together and make a top notch sim, good enough to *nearly* make mods ripped from other games. and even the ones built from scratch, disappear. But this will never happen if they keep thinking they are doing ok in the way things are now. Just my 2 cents.

• Deleted member 130869

There are universally-praised releases which have had its sources in past commercial releases, even if converted and improved from previous conversions to other ISI-based games. It's better not to throw stones. Often these releases are a labor of continued love to improve on the original, or make it available to less widespread titles. It helps not to feel bad when you own the original games, of course.

Often these releases are a labor of continued love to improve on the original,

No doubt. I agree.

I have unpacked/decrypted and had a very close look at the internals of "the mod". I can say that a good effort was made to construct the motecs for example. On the flip side some of the car bodies are definitely not worthy like the vette.

Its unfortunate that the effort went into a mod with ripped content.

Again just my opinion. I believe that the developers of sims realize the content will be ripped at some point. They include that in the metrics that determine how much work they will put into a potential title, against how much profit they need to make. Sure its not "the" reason or the only reason for the decline of race sims. I am sure it wont help.

Cheers

Depends on who port the model there is a lot of effort to give them quality for the specific game you want to put them on even if the model is from another game. In this case, Patriot is very attent about this stuff.
If you want to compare scratch made models compare the 2015 R8 in the EEC mod for AMS with the one released for GTR2 by sasha (or whatever it's called) or wait Silversun port the one in AMS to GTR2 and compare them both (sasha and Silversun). These cars are using the same base by Shadow Works, it's scratch built. The one in AMS is probably the best version you'll find out there (even compared with the one that will be released for rF2)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back