Formula Student UCM 2016

Cars Formula Student UCM 2016 0.9

Login or Register an account to download this content
Challenge accepted..... (W.I.P.)

Took about 15 mins to get this logo lined up over the seam!! Nudge, save, check, nudge, save, check, rotate, nudge, etc, etc :geek:

I think thats about as close as I'm going to get without spending hours at it! Don't think it would have been any easier in 3D either. Think this will be the worst bit... the rest should be more straightforward hopefully :laugh:

P.S. This would be really difficult without the skin editing mode of content manager!
Looks superb man! I'd have just don't it in 3D, would take but seconds! :p

As much as I hate it IRL - You gotta play with the RGB map to make it matte! I didn't include the texture (EXTmap.dds), but I believe its in the PSD folders somewhere.

Not sure the best settings for matte, hopefully someone who's made a matte livery can chime in :)

This is what the Kunos RGB map for the somewhat matte AMG GT3 looks like - appears to use a pink multiplier layer over the AO for the effect. See how it looks

XHxIA8D.jpg

Or this dark blue/purple may work better, as used for the Porsche lettering on the 2016 LMP1 car:

lAMXsm6.jpg

Yep exactly what I've been doing. It would be a lot slower if we didn't have this tool! :)
OK. The 'check' part sounded a bit like you loaded the model every time.

Sure, I have a motorbike engined RWD set of physics ready to go, its a totally different driving experience.

But I would never want it grafted onto this car, would just be so wrong! Completely different packaging required, I'd rather make a brand new model to suit.
Don't want to derail too much, but sometimes I mess around with some cars physics just to have fun. I don't care if it's unrealistic since it's really just to mess around a bit.
Made a 350hp (or so) Miata NA, a 300hp GT86 with a 2.0L turbo engine (estimated torque and power to be realistic for such an engine), Praga R1T (most powerful engine option as basis for estimation with the power, torque and rpm data from their website).
Just to have a comparison. I bet a GT86 / BRZ with the WRX STi engine would sell quite well.

Looks superb man! I'd have just don't it in 3D, would take but seconds! :p

As much as I hate it IRL - You gotta play with the RGB map to make it matte! I didn't include the texture (EXTmap.dds), but I believe its in the PSD folders somewhere.

Not sure the best settings for matte, hopefully someone who's made a matte livery can chime in :)

This is what the Kunos RGB map for the somewhat matte AMG GT3 looks like - appears to use a pink multiplier layer over the AO for the effect. See how it looks

XHxIA8D.jpg

Or this dark blue/purple may work better, as used for the Porsche lettering on the 2016 LMP1 car:

lAMXsm6.jpg
Yeah 3d would be quicker. Remoted to my pc from the living room... Can't spend all my time upstairs on my pc or the Mrs wouldn't be happy :laugh: Can't do 3d in Photoshop over remote desktop as opengl not supported (on consumer grade graphics such as the 1070), so 2d it is for now. Might do the final placement in 3d.. will just get it all roughed out for now. Will have to look into the RGB map

Yep it lines up perfectly when done in 3D. I do find it slightly difficult to get things looking right. I ended up putting it on a new layer above the one I'd done in 2d and then having to distort it abit to get it to match. Any tips for 3D photoshop?
39874125991_5ef532ba9b_h.jpg

Also tried messing around creating an EXT_map texture, with the green map layer included in the template, full black, full white. didn't seem to make a difference. Saved both as PSD and DDS and didn't make any difference to the apperance to me. @chargingcar any ideas?

Yep it lines up perfectly when done in 3D. I do find it slightly difficult to get things looking right. I ended up putting it on a new layer above the one I'd done in 2d and then having to distort it abit to get it to match. Any tips for 3D photoshop?
39874125991_5ef532ba9b_h.jpg

Also tried messing around creating an EXT_map texture, with the green map layer included in the template, full black, full white. didn't seem to make a difference. Saved both as PSD and DDS and didn't make any difference to the apperance to me. @chargingcar any ideas?
No real 3D PS tips from me tbh, I'm a total noob! I tend to block stuff out in 3D, find how things transfer over panel gaps etc, then use that as a guide when building it neatly in 2D.

The only reason I can think of that the RGB map isn't working is if I didn't assign it properly in the ksEditor, but I'm sure thats not the case. I can't check now as I'm at work, but you can have a look at it in CM showroom, it'll tell you the exact name of the texture to ensure its correct.

Make sure you're not using that "_" in the EXTmap.dds name, it definitely won't work then :p

No real 3D PS tips from me tbh, I'm a total noob! I tend to block stuff out in 3D, find how things transfer over panel gaps etc, then use that as a guide when building it neatly in 2D.

The only reason I can think of that the RGB map isn't working is if I didn't assign it properly in the ksEditor, but I'm sure thats not the case. I can't check now as I'm at work, but you can have a look at it in CM showroom, it'll tell you the exact name of the texture to ensure its correct.

Make sure you're not using that "_" in the EXTmap.dds name, it definitely won't work then :p

That was it. I saw somewhere about using the underscore. Didn't think to check the texture name that it should actually use! Didn't know content manager showed it until now. The map is the green one that's in the template and it works perfectly. Looks very cool. Pic to come soon, I'm just putting the logos on the nose first :)

Red Bull livery 95% done....
39166821314_0961b4dc48_o.jpg

Need to go back into 3D later and place the bull on the other side of the nose (as the UV mapping for the sides doesn't quite line up! ;)), as well as re-doing the stripe to get it better and the logo on the other sidepod.
I didn't have the colours quite right at first but after a couple of HSL adjustment layers I think its good now. Perhaps it's a bit too matte so will need to play with the EXTmap file.

Also that's a lot of logos to fit into that small space... not as long as the one on an F1 car! :D

Red Bull livery 95% done....
39166821314_0961b4dc48_o.jpg

Need to go back into 3D later and place the bull on the other side of the nose (as the UV mapping for the sides doesn't quite line up! ;)), as well as re-doing the stripe to get it better and the logo on the other sidepod.
I didn't have the colours quite right at first but after a couple of HSL adjustment layers I think its good now. Perhaps it's a bit too matte so will need to play with the EXTmap file.

Also that's a lot of logos to fit into that small space... not as long as the one on an F1 car! :D

Here's the grid so far...
39845224712_6181b3c361_o.jpg

Looks brilliant man, once these are all uploaded I'll make sure add a link on the car download page! The matte looks about right too, just be sure to check ingame, it always throws up some surprises compared to the showroom.

Now, who's gonna do the brilliant BWT Force India livery... :p:roflmao:

Now, who's gonna do the brilliant BWT Force India livery... :p:roflmao:

Well.... funny you should say that... it comes in pink too if you like :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::p
25007926017_0f4e5fc892_o.jpg

Yes there are even water droplets like the real thing! Just mocked up in 2D for the moment will need to see how to make that look better - probably make the elipse stripes bigger and put the BWT logo entirely on the sidepod like the real car. Still missing a few logos. I would say this is about 25% done.

I dropped the map to 50% opacity on this one so more reflective. Probably wants to be more like 25% I think. With no map file it was too shiny.

Think I've had enough for tonight. I'll maybe finish the Redbull off and have a drive of the car tomorrow morning before work :D

Well.... funny you should say that... it comes in pink too if you like :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::p
25007926017_0f4e5fc892_o.jpg

Yes there are even water droplets like the real thing! Just mocked up in 2D for the moment will need to see how to make that look better - probably make the elipse stripes bigger and put the BWT logo entirely on the sidepod like the real car. Still missing a few logos. I would say this is about 25% done.

I dropped the map to 50% opacity on this one so more reflective. Probably wants to be more like 25% I think. With no map file it was too shiny.

Think I've had enough for tonight. I'll maybe finish the Redbull off and have a drive of the car tomorrow morning before work :D
:thumbsup: Impressive stuff!

im having a blast with this car, great work! but i was doing a race with ai around nordschleife and when i got back around to the long straight it just cut out and i had no power. ai all kept going though.

So I finally gave it a go this morning, after finishing the Red Bull and doing more work on the Force India...

Didn't have long but it was a lot of fun. Really needs a karting track, as even highlands short you barely need to lift the throttle through any of the corners :D:roflmao:

For some bizarre reason nearly all the ai went into the pits on the last lap leaving me to take the win.

So I finally gave it a go this morning, after finishing the Red Bull and doing more work on the Force India...

Didn't have long but it was a lot of fun. Really needs a karting track, as even highlands short you barely need to lift the throttle through any of the corners :D:roflmao:

For some bizarre reason nearly all the ai went into the pits on the last lap leaving me to take the win.

I've been having a blast at Verdal (best layout I've raced these cars on). I've tried both of the Mont Tremblant short tracks, and it's not quite as enjoyable to me, but still fun. I'm enjoying these cars so much that now I'm considering making the Mont Tremblant kart course for them.

Force India logo finished. Not entirely happy with the BWT logo on the side. Looks right from some angles, others not so much. The side pods are a bit small on this car so makes it difficult to adapt - this livery is the only one with this issue though I think.
39861656432_0d77c20349_o.jpg

28113487479_c340030896_o.jpg

P.S. I think it's fairly obvious who Force India's main sponsor is.... seems like there's more BWT logos on here than there are Red Bull logos on the red bull :roflmao:

Probably do Williams next. I think all the remaining ones are more straight forward. This and the Mercedes probably needed the most work (along with learning how to do matte paint for the Red Bull).

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.