F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

Can someone help me? I'd like to change some car performance. Like i wanna make mclaren more faster and redbull slower. So can someone tell me how to do it? I'd like to work with career mode.
there's a pretty detailed guide to that in this thread if I remember correctly. You need to edit the team.vtf file in the tea.erp (under xml files). The easiest way is to like take aero or engine from a weaker team/stronger team and copy the values to change it. It will work with career if you take the upgrades too.
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/f1-2016-modding-questions-thread.124753/page-32#post-2366748 It's mostly trial and error but like KeisariKine says copying areo and engine values from another team is a good place to start.

I did some browsing around files and found some interesting things relating to flags.
In flow_frontend career_results_header_icon_4col.idf (pkg file) there is a string
"value": "stri eaid://ui_package/art/units/flags/flags_rectangle_40x26px.emb?context=default"
Which could tell us where to find flags. I also found texture files named
overrides.drivers.nationality_flags.texarray
overrides.drivers.nationality_flags_broadcast.texarray
in an erp (some database erp but when exported those are pretty much just black and the preview doesn't work so we can't really edit those. But I'll keep looking around these, could be something.

Hi all. I've been putting my next F1 2016 mod on hold as Motorsport Manager Modding was a lot bigger then expected. But I'm still intending on creating a Not Created Equal 2.

While I've been gone, has there been any developments? E.g., can we open that database file yet? Or modify Driver AI?

M still after an artist for a few graphics I need. And maybe another coder to work with to get this done in a timely manner. Any volunteers?

Hi all. I've been putting my next F1 2016 mod on hold as Motorsport Manager Modding was a lot bigger then expected. But I'm still intending on creating a Not Created Equal 2.

While I've been gone, has there been any developments? E.g., can we open that database file yet? Or modify Driver AI?

M still after an artist for a few graphics I need. And maybe another coder to work with to get this done in a timely manner. Any volunteers?
I don't think theres a way to make the database editable (or certainly there is no program available now to do so). I don't know much but by the research I have done it seems that it is a dconf database.
"One dconf database consists of a single file in binary format, i.e. it is not a text-file. The format is defined as gvdb (GVariant Database file). It is a simple database file format that stores a mapping from strings to GVariant values in a way that is extremely efficient for lookups." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dconf)

GVariant is a variant datatype; it can contain one or more values along with information about the type of the values.
A GVariant may contain simple types, like an integer, or a boolean value; or complex types, like an array of two strings, or a dictionary of key value pairs. A GVariant is also immutable: once it's been created neither its type nor its content can be modified further.
GVariant is useful whenever data needs to be serialized, for example when sending method parameters in DBus, or when saving settings using GSettings. (https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-GVariant.html)

But @JoniJohn has made some progress by editing the hex values
="JoniJohn, post: 2410013, member: 228606"]Its pretty much trial and error sadly. But with little experiments I have gotten some information what is what. Its hard to explain but you have to try and find similarities. Which word is often used if I swap these what happens? This way I got Hamilton's avatar changed. And I have documented these changes so I can use them as my advantage in the future. Example: Swapping 3 and 8 always causes crash. Swapping this and this does nothing. Swapping this and this however breaks Bahrain's photo.View attachment 175702

I think like in 2014 individual AI speeds (corner in, corner out, bad luck etc) is in that database. But in \asset_groups\ego_package\ai\*team* there are how fast the drivers of a team can go, but still individual AI remains a problem.
E.G. by editing \mclaren\very_high and copying the Mercedes contents -except for the line which says which teams it's meant for at the bottom- and then giving the mclaren the mercedes performance in the normal.erp the mclaren drivers are on par with the Mercedes ones (but Alonso is still faster than Button).

Last edited:
I think like in 2014 individual AI speeds (corner in, corner out, bad luck etc) is in that database. But in \asset_groups\ego_package\ai\*team* there are how fast the drivers of a team can go, but still individual AI remains a problem
E.G. by editing \mclaren\very_high and copying the Mercedes contents -except for the line which says which teams it's meant for at the bottom- and then giving the mclaren the mercedes performance in the normal.erp the mclaren drivers are on par with the Mercedes ones (but Alonso is still faster than Button).
Shame, that database would have been useful, but I kinda put it to a lost cause anyway.

I still intent to create an external program to modify car performance instead of doing it within the in game research method - then have the files update via a button. Then I can add in some minor mechanics (like inputting research points to spend on improving areas, etc). But as 'unreliability' issues don't exist in the game - it means I can add in some unreliability to the file 'which if you find a fault with your car, you can just reroll your car stats and hopefully you won't have an issue next session - which is fine if you don't mind restarting the game between sessions you want to do this for,). While I've been working on MM, I've still been planning NotCreatedEqual 2 - in that I plan on making it (initially) quite primitive (my initial desiges were so grandios that to do them alone would mean that I'd be looking at a 2019 release :p).

Being able to have a more 'equal-er' AI like you pointed out, might make it more interesting. Having a Palmer so far behind Hamilton meant that in NotCreatedEqual 1, even if Mannor had a much better car then Mercedes, Palmer would often not beat Hamilton. So bringing them up to an equal level would help the mod in general (even if teammates still have some difference in them).

Edit: based on hpthat final point, is there now a "more equal AI mod?".

Shame, that database would have been useful, but I kinda put it to a lost cause anyway.

I still intent to create an external program to modify car performance instead of doing it within the in game research method - then have the files update via a button. Then I can add in some minor mechanics (like inputting research points to spend on improving areas, etc). But as 'unreliability' issues don't exist in the game - it means I can add in some unreliability to the file 'which if you find a fault with your car, you can just reroll your car stats and hopefully you won't have an issue next session - which is fine if you don't mind restarting the game between sessions you want to do this for,). While I've been working on MM, I've still been planning NotCreatedEqual 2 - in that I plan on making it (initially) quite primitive (my initial desiges were so grandios that to do them alone would mean that I'd be looking at a 2019 release :p).

Being able to have a more 'equal-er' AI like you pointed out, might make it more interesting. Having a Palmer so far behind Hamilton meant that in NotCreatedEqual 1, even if Mannor had a much better car then Mercedes, Palmer would often not beat Hamilton. So bringing them up to an equal level would help the mod in general (even if teammates still have some difference in them).

Edit: based on hpthat final point, is there now a "more equal AI mod?".
I could make a more equal AI mod but the only big improvement is McLaren as they have 2 WDC, Manor are still about a second behind.

I could make a more equal AI mod but the only big improvement is McLaren as they have 2 WDC, Manor are still about a second behind.

Ah yes :) but I assume the AI packages could be combined with then the CreatedEqual mod which normalises car performance. Such that a Manor has the same performance as the Merc and will be closer if they had the same AI package two (though the teammates would differ).

Which in turn will help with NotCreatedEqual - when one wants to have Manor be better then Mercedes (but struggle to do so because the Manor's drivers AI is so bad co pared to Nico/Hamiltons.

I found some strings in for result screen flags, not possible to edit them to be correct but maybe disabling those could be possible. If we used the same string for all of them that could be possible. I did manage to open a database of sorts (exported from within a database.erp) with notepad++ but couldn't make anything of it.

In terms of liveries we figured out how to change chassis between cars so we can do that now.

Is there a way to switch engine manufacturers on a team? Say I want to give Sauber the Honda engine. Is there a way to give the Sauber the noise characteristics of the Honda? And how would I edit the text in game to say 'Sauber Honda' instead of 'Sauber Ferrari'?

Thanks!

Is there a way to switch engine manufacturers on a team? Say I want to give Sauber the Honda engine. Is there a way to give the Sauber the noise characteristics of the Honda? And how would I edit the text in game to say 'Sauber Honda' instead of 'Sauber Ferrari'?

Thanks!
You can change the Ferrari engine to a Honda engine, but then every car, which have the Ferrari engine will have the Honda engine.:( ( F1 2016 / audio / bundles )

To change the names open language_eng.lng (english) ( F1 2016 / localisation )
1. You need the Ego Language Editor to open it.
2. After you opened the file, press crtl + f
3. Search for lng_team_sau_title
4. Change the Name
5. Save the file.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering