F1 2016 Modding Questions Thread

When racing in quick race. Are the cars fully upgraded and have non? And how would this affect performance VTF changes. I'm running custom championships via quick race for my modded season so I can use custom calendars.

I am also wondering if there is an indepth tutorial about changing car performances. Just switching VTF's around (for instance giving McLaren the Mercedes VTF) isn't giving the desired results.
In a quick race no upgrades are applied
Just a guess but in the F1 2016\asset_groups\ego_package\ai there are different folders for different teams, this could mean that the reason why just copying and pasting the vtf of Mercedes into Mclaren isn't giving them the full increase in speed is because the AI are not programmed to use the increased performance as well.

So does anyone know how to change a number mapping? I want to try to get a realistic position of the number on the sauber. I edited the carmodel json to have the force india map instead and it helps but it's not even close still.
I'm pretty sure the game treats it as a decal so changing the mapping is impossible.

In a quick race no upgrades are applied
Just a guess but in the F1 2016\asset_groups\ego_package\ai there are different folders for different teams, this could mean that the reason why just copying and pasting the vtf of Mercedes into Mclaren isn't giving them the full increase in speed is because the AI are not programmed to use the increased performance as well.

Thanks for the quick answer. I've actually never spotted these files before. They do seem to indicate that these affect performance as well. But the immediate I have, where does it state if a team uses "Very Low", "Low", "Medium" or "Very High".
I had a look in the Mercedes VTF and there are a couple upgrades with names corresponding to those folders. Maybe having the McLaren use the Mercedes folders (by replacing the mclaren files with the mercedes ones) could do the trick?

UPDATE: Replacing the files in F1 2016\asset_groups\ego_package\ai Made my game exit to desktop when loading up a race. Reverting to the default files made the game work fine again. Seems like we can't change those?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer. I've actually never spotted these files before. They do seem to indicate that these affect performance as well. But the immediate I have, where does it state if a team uses "Very Low", "Low", "Medium" or "Very High".
I had a look in the Mercedes VTF and there are a couple upgrades with names corresponding to those folders. Maybe having the McLaren use the Mercedes folders (by replacing the mclaren files with the mercedes ones) could do the trick?

UPDATE: Replacing the files in F1 2016\asset_groups\ego_package\ai Made my game exit to desktop when loading up a race. Reverting to the default files made the game work fine again. Seems like we can't change those?
At the bottom of those json files there is a reference to the team e.g. "stri ferrari" so copying this into another team's files would make the game crash.
Also I think that the "very low " "low" "medium" "very high" has could have something to do with the difficulty you play on.

Hey guys, anybody figured out if it is possible to change liverys to another team? I have made a STR 12 based on the Red Bull RB 12, but I don't found a way to transfer the whole car model including textures to Toro Rosso. STR 12 is nearly perfect on RB 12 car template.

some screens..

Attachments

• 20170227200918_1.jpg
    20170227200918_1.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 20170227200930_1.jpg
    20170227200930_1.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 191
Hey guys, anybody figured out if it is possible to change liverys to another team? I have made a STR 12 based on the Red Bull RB 12, but I don't found a way to transfer the whole car model including textures to Toro Rosso. STR 12 is nearly perfect on RB 12 car template.

some screens..
yeah we have been doing that for a bit now. There's also one of those already out and I made one too thats a bit more accurate than that (at least when I finish it)

Anyone know where the mirror's are in the paint file for my STR12 (that's come out first so ha ;)). Would like it to be red like the actual car, but the mapping is stupid as we all know...

Anyone know where the mirror's are in the paint file for my STR12 (that's come out first so ha ;)). Would like it to be red like the actual car, but the mapping is stupid as we all know...
Try drawing on them in the 3D model (photoshop) then from the tab on the right double click the paint file.

Can someone help me? I'd like to change some car performance. Like i wanna make mclaren more faster and redbull slower. So can someone tell me how to do it? I'd like to work with career mode.
there's a pretty detailed guide to that in this thread if I remember correctly. You need to edit the team.vtf file in the tea.erp (under xml files). The easiest way is to like take aero or engine from a weaker team/stronger team and copy the values to change it. It will work with career if you take the upgrades too.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.