Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

After months of waiting the moment has finally arrived. Assetto Corsa is released by Kunos Simulazioni on Steam Early Access.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.

Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

That's easy, if you want an uncontrolled oversteery car just change your setup so it can be more the way you want it, one thing is certain, for sure in real life you'll prefer a stable neutral car, that's exactly what AC recreates, imagine you're in the car in real life, for sure you'll **** your pants with an oversteery open wheel formula car...

You didn't read my post... :(

I said many times that I tried to destroy the setup to get worst handling, and the overall feeling is the same.

Oh sorry, did you edit it? Anyway they're improving it, you're right sometimes we can hardly see differences but maybe in real life you can't too. I remember Bridgestone engineer getting absolutely amazed because Schumacher could nottest variations on tire pressure of 0,05 BAR, wich is absolutely impossible for each of us common mortals :)

Oh sorry, did you edit it? Anyway they're improving it, you're right sometimes we can hardly see differences but maybe in real life you can't too. I remember Bridgestone engineer getting absolutely amazed because Schumacher could nottest variations on tire pressure of 0,05 BAR, wich is absolutely impossible for each of us common mortals :)

Oh... same overal feeling, I'm talking about no grip break, of course that changing the setup the car behaves in totally other way, but the feeling of power loss when It's supposed the car have to begin to slide still being there. Im still trying to do what Lacosta's do, but I can't, and not.. I do not need more practice, just did some moments ago a 1:33.2, 1 tenth faster than him, and I can improve It.

Edit:
And sorry if I have doubts about physics engine, but bugs in simple situations like this still happening in AC (happened too in NKPro), and I'm not a programmer, but seems totally disconnected the car from the road, like all you see while racing is "scripted" and not properly "simulted", a proper simulation engine could manage this situations with any problem:

Last edited:
Edit:
And sorry if I have doubts about physics engine, but bugs in simple situations like this still happening in AC (happened too in NKPro), and I'm not a programmer, but seems totally disconnected the car from the road, like all you see while racing is "scripted" and not properly "simulted", a proper simulation engine could manage this situations with any problem:

Obviously you are not a programmer because you have no idea what are you talking about, that has nothing to do with being scripted, it's something that can happen when speed is 0 or close to 0.

http://www.sim-racing.co.uk/sim-rac...-comments-relating-to-low-speed-behavior.html

iRacing must be scripted too :rolleyes:

Edit: http://www.edy.es/dev/2011/12/facts-and-myths-on-the-pacejka-curves/

• A quick look at the formulas reveal an evident and inconvenient fact: the slip formulas become numerically unstable when V approaches zero and are not defined at all when the vehicle is stopped (0/0). Other definitions of the slip ratio also suffer of this problem in a similar way.

Last edited:
Obviously you are not a programmer because you have no idea what are you talking about, because that has nothing to do with being scripted, it's something that can happen when speed is 0 or close to 0.

http://www.sim-racing.co.uk/sim-rac...-comments-relating-to-low-speed-behavior.html

iRacing must be scripted too :rolleyes:

Obvious It's not scritped, I'm studying computer engineering despite not being programmer now and I perfectly know what is scripted, I'm trying to say that is some kind of disconnection. And It's not about speed close to 0, I had no fuel, and I was in negative slope.

Last edited:
And It's not about speed close to 0, I had no fuel, and I was in negative slope.

It's not? I see 0 km/h all the time.

In fact, you can easily check what I said running some of the hidden dev apps and see the slip ratio values at 0 km/h (it goes nuts). But it doesn't mean it has bad physics, it's one of the known problems of certain tire models. rFactor runs a 2nd tire model for low speeds to avoid such things for example. rFactor 2 is based on a physical tire model so I believe it doesnt have to deal with such problem.

Stefano Casillo: Well that’s a sim problem that is there in different forms and gravity in every product. It’s really hard to stop a car in a physics simulation with discrete time steps. At the moment AC is quite good at it, because the nature of the tyre model is not static.

The problem is that tyre models are based on the concept of slip percentage. Which is basically a division between the rotation speed of the tyre and the speed of the wheel hub, as the hub speed goes to zero when you are stopping, the result of the division goes up to infinity. At pure zero kmh, it is not even defined, and the software will crash. So what you do is select a very low speed where you just say “ok the car is stationary” and stop the simulation freezing the car, if that speed is too slow, it might never be reached if you are standing on a hill, thus, you keep sliding down that hill.

http://ravsim.com/2012/08/27/stefano-casillo-on-netkar-pro-part-2/

Nevertheless it's surprising to see that problem in AC, but the game is still not finished, so we will see.

It's not? I see 0 km/h all the time.

In fact, you can easily check what I said running some of the hidden dev apps and see the slip ratio values at 0 km/h (it goes nuts). But it doesn't mean it has bad physics, it's one of the known problems of certain tire models. rFactor runs a 2nd tire model for low speeds to avoid such things for example. rFactor 2 is based on a physical tire model so I believe it doesnt have to deal with such problem.

OK, take It as a no problematic bug... but... It's not he only strange situation about road connection, It's just one more. When you push full throttle at 2nd and even 3rd gear in mid turn situations with stiff rear suspension (I did It to try to slide with the car...) wheels begin to spin faster than ground speed and RPM goes to max, but the car stills planted and the rear end does not move any milimeter, and you can still pushing full throttle spinning rear wheels but with no need to countersteer because doesn't slide, and after some metters RPM goes down again and wheels stop spinngn, but nothing happens, you still all the time pushing and the car does not move nothing. This happen in almost every turn with stiff rear suspension when you try to overdrive the car or just try to do fast laps.

Is this reallistic?

And Is reallistic when the wheels are flying but you can still pushing throttle like you were in the ground?

I like AC driving, It's fun, but It's not accurate in lots of situations. And I find It SO easy to drive at max the car can give you without sense to be close the grip break and if you break It, the car just slow down and recover grip again so fast, just needed 15 or 20 laps to match Lacosta times with bad setup, and few more to beat him, I think 10 more and I will be in 32s...

I can't see a bug reporting thread - do we need one sticked or something?

Is there any plans on getting the D-pad working on steering wheels? I know several wheels have them, but can understand that many of the elite enthusiast wheels do not. I have a DFP and I find it rather useful to bind certain things to the wheel, like look behind, look left/right etc.

Oh... same overal feeling, I'm talking about no grip break, of course that changing the setup the car behaves in totally other way, but the feeling of power loss when It's supposed the car have to begin to slide still being there. Im still trying to do what Lacosta's do, but I can't, and not.. I do not need more practice, just did some moments ago a 1:33.2, 1 tenth faster than him, and I can improve It.

Edit:

You can also notice when you slow down to very slow speed and let the car glide in neutral at one point the car and wheels will freeze just before it is expected to stop. The problem here is most probably due to the core of ODE physics, the rigid bodies simply go to "sleep" earlier then expected because the float point precision is a bit sensitive at that edge. But this is not a disadvantage because it solves a lot of other problems on the other hand, it eases off physics calculations a lot.

I asked Simone about this problem and he told me that it is the compromise so that the high speed physics works much more precisely and 99.9% of drivers will race and not look at how the car behaves at 0.1 km/h. It eases and puts more precision into high speed simulation.

This might be solved in future when we have faster CPUs

I can't see a bug reporting thread - do we need one sticked or something?

Is there any plans on getting the D-pad working on steering wheels? I know several wheels have them, but can understand that many of the elite enthusiast wheels do not. I have a DFP and I find it rather useful to bind certain things to the wheel, like look behind, look left/right etc.
You can probably use the Logitech Profiler to bind wheel buttons to keyboard keys, and then use those keyboard keys as look left/right and so on.

WOW! Are people today really this unhappy? lol Play the game! Remember....IT IS A GAME! Be happy man!

well from reading various forums the huge majority doesn't think like the Esteve. He does have a point sure but in the end I rather "trust" someone with actual data and access to the car than someone watching YT videos... this shouldn't come over as arrogant or as an attack that is just my opinion on it (sorry in case it sounded like that though)

Oh... well, lot of people I know who played almost every known sim think like me about competition cars of AC :) and also plyed NKPro, because seems like nobody who is saying AC have awesome realistic physics has played NKPro more than 10 laps...

I'm not saying It's not good to drive! I like It, for sure, I'm just wondered how someone can say has the best behaviour ever when It's clear that has really strange situations despite being great to drive.

And yes, a YT video can be usefull, because you can see how the car moves, and if It's impossible to move the car in the sim like you can see in the video... something is wrong. A video is not enough, for sure, but common sense exists, data exists, and there is some visual proofs that can be visally testable. And also I would like to see those telemetry data they are talking about, because I also doubt the real car bounces as AC one... or push full throttle with no slide as AC one. Maybe they push throttle and brakes in the same point as real world, but I repeat, I would love to see a complete suspension and if possible slip telemetry about both AC and real cars. I can compare this in other sims and some of then almost nailed telemetrys (I'm talkin for example real public telemetrys of F1 compared to Marussia F1 rF2 car, It's so awesome how It matches), but I have no no idea how to extract that data yet in AC :(

OK, take It as a no problematic bug... but... It's not he only strange situation about road connection, It's just one more. When you push full throttle at 2nd and even 3rd gear in mid turn situations with stiff rear suspension (I did It to try to slide with the car...) wheels begin to spin faster than ground speed and RPM goes to max, but the car stills planted and the rear end does not move any milimeter, and you can still pushing full throttle spinning rear wheels but with no need to countersteer because doesn't slide, and after some metters RPM goes down again and wheels stop spinngn, but nothing happens, you still all the time pushing and the car does not move nothing. This happen in almost every turn with stiff rear suspension when you try to overdrive the car or just try to do fast laps.

Is this reallistic?

And Is reallistic when the wheels are flying but you can still pushing throttle like you were in the ground?

Yes it is realistic, it means the differential is doing its work. Increase the power differential and tell me what do you think :)

I have spent some time driving this Formula Abarth at different tracks, and it's a blast to drive once you really start pushing the car to its limit. I also did 15 laps to compare with you at Vallelunga and got a 32.3, and I can tell you that I had some scary moments...

Here video: (btw, I suggest all of you to unlock the hidden dev apps, you can edit the camera position etc, really nice!)

At the end you can see how that car isn't that planted when going at/over the limit.

• Deleted member 151827

Anyone else getting brake lock up in bmw m3 gt2 with very little brake pedal input? Tried several brake bias setups with no help. Thanks

Wow, just had a proper go in the Formula Abarth. How can people say it has too much grip? I was sliding all over the place! Especially at braking and exciting the slower corners.

Could it be that some people who complain are steering a bit too much? I just can't see where that criticism is coming from.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.