Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa Released on Steam Early Access!

After months of waiting the moment has finally arrived. Assetto Corsa is released by Kunos Simulazioni on Steam Early Access.

Players can buy the game saving 22% of the retail price, getting the access to the beta version, including its updates, and they will receive the final version of the game, when it will be released, without any additional charge.

Assetto Corsa is already in advanced state of completion. Meanwhile some features and structures are under progress and testing, the...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Some cars have to much grip. The Lotus 49 is waaay to planted and i'm doing my best but i can't make the Z4 to lose grip at all. Same for the GT2 M3, 2nd gear and pedal to the floor, it doesn't move by an inch. (i turned TC OFF with ctrl+t)
This can't be right, even if lap times are correct. Please think of something.

OK, at least I'm not alone when I say competition AC cars have too much grip. I know BMW GT2 real car have tons of grip, but to get that grip you have to drive fine, balancing the car, doesn't matter how much grip have if you unbalance It... and in AC with COMPETITION (not street) cars you can't lose grip even unbalancig the car purpossely in normal conditions, turning more than needed in a turn, being aggessive with the wheel and throttle... only if you do It hardly and not in normal conditions (doing unnatural zigzags in straights) you will get properly lose of grip.

A need to repeat that street cars, for me, are OK (for guys who think I'm just blaming about AC) and the overall quality It's really good.

But here my best example with Formula Abarth about what I'm talking about:

And compare with real one (just 0.5 secs faster than me, and I only practiced few laps... few more and I would do easily 1:32s):

That sense of safety all the time despite the hard you are pushing in AC, the grip the Formula abarth have even if you suddenly go from 0% to 100% throttle in mid turn phase and how the car does not oversteer despite you can see the car is losing rear grip... in this last case I still pushing full throttle and turning with no countersteer and the car recovers grip magically. And not, It's not the setup in this case, I tested with no downforce and stiff rear suspension, and still happening the same.

In real world this car (and I showed a non extrem case...) can lose rear end easily, sometimes if he push throttle more than needed, the car beging to slide and he has to countersteer. the only slide I get is in braking zone and I recovered It with no countersteer and pushing full throttle. And also see how diffcult he do the last chicane in his two laps and how easily I can do It with full throttle, with tons of grip and with any sign of difficult... It's even more noticeable when you drive It.

And an extreme case... that even with hard compount and destroying the setup I did not achieve (I just achieved more strange behaviours, and yes, sometimes oversteer, but far from be like this, and only with extreme bad setups):

*Sorry, I just changed the third video with the correct one.

Last edited:
M3 GTR is supa glued to the track as is the Tatus Arbath
I always turn off all aids except auto clutch, but I flatten 3rd and 4th thru the first sector at Imola without so much as a rear chirp.....{M3 GTR}

Did you try harder tyres? The standard tyres are the super soft compound which obviously has tons of grip... And the car has tons of downforce and is underpowered due to the rules <500ps... It is always difficult to comment on these things because there are just a handful of people who drive these beasts... All we can say is I think that car has to much grip but maybe this is closer to reality than we think but there is no way to find out though :)

I have to say, this game is great but it has some issues.

1. The sound of the cars is disappointing. No grunt whatsoever. The Ferrari is the worst. Instead of beautiful Italian NA V8 i hear a synthetised random engine sound.

2. Some cars have to much grip. The Lotus 49 is waaay to planted and i'm doing my best but i can't make the Z4 to lose grip at all. Same for the GT2 M3, 2nd gear and pedal to the floor, it doesn't move by an inch. (i turned TC OFF with ctrl+t)
This can't be right, even if lap times are correct. Please think of something.

1. they are not spectacular but they are no worse than other other games for me... The outside sounds are lacking a bit but cockpit sounds are ok especially the little things like wind, dirt and stuff like that a quite immersive overall...

2. There are really interesting discussions going on in the official support forum for example

Aris said:
Ah ok I can't comment for other sims sorry.
But I can tell you that in AC the handling is generally predictable and natural, and from our experience we see that the gap between very fast drivers and average drivers is always limited.
In AC it is "easy" to go closer to the limit, but it is very very difficult to find the last 3-4 tenths.

The above statement also connects to the "lack of depth" from Adrian. IMHO, and please excuse me if I might sound arrogant I'm not but probably I'm not expressing this correctly in english, but IMHO you are all still scratching the surface. There are many things to be discovered in AC in terms of what the sim does and how it handles. You'll see much more depth when you will start to try to go faster and faster. Don't get fooled that you simply are not spinning when trying to go as fast as you think you can now.

Aris said:
@Tiago Fortuna I'm sure you have seen Alex Rossi youtube video of the L49 test. In that video it is pretty clear how much traction the car has. It's a tricky car of course, but we tend to think that those cars wanted to kill you... they did not. The problem was that if you would make a mistake and go just a bit too wide, you would be killed because of inexistent safety measures back in the days. But the cars where still state of the art F1 vehicles. You need to know what to do, but if you do, they are very rewarding.

What do you mean you're about 5 secs faster in AC? In comparison to what?
I have aliens trying AC right now, and have just managed to go as fast as real time pole position at Monza. Same with other cars.

Aris said:
Try playing with excessive camber on race slicks and on the vintage L49...
try also playing with min max pressure.... what you feel is not always what you get in terms of laptimes... Example, very low tyre pressure, seems like tons of grip... laptimes slow. Very high pressure, seems like sliding too much but better acceleration and top speed. You can feel all this in the FFB too. You need the right compromise for the best laptimes. not too much, not too little.

Try getting the default tatuus for a couple of laps, then lower the height at 20mm front, 30-35mm rear and retry. You'll feel it in the FFB that the diffuser works better now...

and much more

Did you try harder tyres? The standard tyres are the super soft compound which obviously has tons of grip... And the car has tons of downforce and is underpowered due to the rules <500ps... It is always difficult to comment on these things because there are just a handful of people who drive these beasts... All we can say is I think that car has to much grip but maybe this is closer to reality than we think but there is no way to find out though :)

1. they are not spectacular but they are no worse than other other games for me... The outside sounds are lacking a bit but cockpit sounds are ok especially the little things like wind, dirt and stuff like that a quite immersive overall...

2. There are really interesting discussions going on in the official support forum for example

Just look at Esteve Rueda's example. Aris is partly wright in what he's saying, but there is to much grip anyway. Race cars are to easy to bring (close) to the limit. What we see on real videos is racing drivers being very careful with the throttle, even then there is some wheel spin and corrections need to be made.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 151827

Here is what I did to achieve good graphics (for NVIDIA GPU's):

In-game settings:

1- Turn off HDR and Motion Blur (both options are causing that blurry aspect);
2- Set Anisostropic Filtering to 2x (it's VERY resource intensive on this game, don't know why);
3- Set Shadows to High and AA to 4x;
4- Turn off Vertical Sync (use NVIDIA Inspector's one instead);
5- Turn off "Lock Onboard Camera to Horizon";
6- Set Cubemap Resolution to Low (very resource intensive) and Faces per Frame to 6 (for real-time car reflections);

NVIDIA Inspector:

1- Create a profile for Assetto Corsa (add both acs.exe and acShowroom.exe);
2- Set AA Transparency Supersampling to 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling (say goodbye to jaggies and ugly shadows);
3- Set Vertical Sync Tear Control to Adaptive or On (optional).

Results: 60 FPS all the time (except during Monza replays).

My configuration: i5 2300, 4GB, SSD and GTX 660Ti.

Screenshots:

1wza.png

7bka.png

xpqs.png

ksy6.png

8nz7.png
Thanks. I just downloaded this program(invidia inspector). I only changed 2 things in it(pictures attached) does it look right? Also, when you say to create a profile, do you have to create 2 profiles....acs.exe and acshowroom.exe? Thanks edit: dang those pictures are small, but that's all the site would accept. :(

123456.jpg
23456.jpg

Thanks. I just downloaded this program(invidia inspector). I only changed 2 things in it(pictures attached) does it look right? Also, when you say to create a profile, do you have to create 2 profiles....acs.exe and acshowroom.exe? Thanks edit: dang those pictures are small, but that's all the site would accept. :(

View attachment 44995 View attachment 44996

There you go:

Also, you can add more than one .exe to the same profile.

Just look at Esteve Rueda's example. Aris is partly wright in what he's saying, but there is to much grip anyway. Race cars are to easy to bring (close) to the limit. What we see on real videos is racing drivers being very careful with the throttle, even then there is some wheel spin and corrections need to be made.

sure I am not saying everything is perfect my post was more about the M3 GT2 and L49... I haven't driven the Abarth yet so I really can't comment on that yet... I watched his lap, looks super clean and balanced for sure...

• Deleted member 151827

There you go:

Sorry. I am a bit lost on the .exe adding. :( Will it work without adding the .exe? I ran AC and it seems much better (aa), but i still see some aa in the painted track lines. Getting 85 fps like this.

Attachments

• 123456.jpg
    123456.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. I am a bit lost on the .exe adding. :( Will it work without adding the .exe? I ran AC and it seems much better (aa), but i still see some aa in the painted track lines. Getting 85 fps like this.

If you're using the global profile, it will work without adding the .exe. However, it will probably affect all your games. To add a .exe, just click on the button I circled on the picture, and select acs.exe and acShowroom.exe (don't forget to create a profile for Assetto Corsa first). They are located inside this folder: Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa.

I am not an expert but let's apply a bit of what is readily available information to the subject of race cars and "too much grip" in AC.

1) Race cars like GT2 or GT3 are focused on maximizing grip, balanced with top speed of course for certain circuits. But compared to the street cars we drive they have a huge variety of ways to increase grip: very sticky slicks, huge wings and other downforce producing methods, stiff suspensions with a ton of adjustments to do what?--- increase grip still further.

2) Many of these GT2 and GT3 cars have less power than their street counterparts-- oftentimes 15-20% less.

3) I have never seen an interview or video with a real race car driver where they say the publicly available simulations (in general--not AC) have too much grip. It is either the sim has too little grip or they don't mention grip levels at all. And there have been many who mentioned sims have too little grip vs. real life.

4) One professional; race car driver that was interviewed about AC, and had driven the 458 GT in real life and in AC praised the accuracy. And this guy was not paid to drive AC for marketing or anything like that.

I think this adds up to the fact that the modern race car has a ton of grip but the typical sim doesn't feel like that. Many sim racers have gotten used to low grip levels and might feel like AC isn't right. That doesn't mean AC isn't right, just that some sim racers (with good justification-- years of driving slippery sims) won't like the feel at the start.

For my part, with the little time I have driven AC, I think the grip feels great. I haven't been in the M3 GT2 that much but I just jumped in it before writing this to see. At Magione's first corner it clearly broke the back end loose if you were on the throttle too much and not just on the first lap with cold tires. So I am not sure why some people are finding that it won't break grip at all unless they have not turned the aids off?

• Deleted member 151827

If you're using the global profile, it will work without adding the .exe. However, it will probably affect all your games. To add a .exe, just click on the button I circled on the picture, and select acs.exe and acShowroom.exe (don't forget to create a profile for Assetto Corsa first). They are located inside this folder: Steam\SteamApps\common\assettocorsa.

Ok Andre. I got those added. :) Do i have to open the inspector and set it to AC to work or does it automatically use it when i launch AC? Thanks for all the great help!

EDIT: Game plays flawlessly with great graphics and steady 60 fps now! :) One problem though.....replay took a huge hit. fps drops pretty bad making replay quality poor. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Andre. I got those added. :) Do i have to open the inspector and set it to AC to work or does it automatically use it when i launch AC? Thanks for all the great help!

EDIT: Game plays flawlessly with great graphics and steady 60 fps now! :) One problem though.....replay took a huge hit. fps drops pretty bad making replay quality poor. :(

Replays here are fine, except for Monza. That track is really resource intensive on replays, I have no idea why.

There you go:

The 4x Sparse grid supersampling solved all my AA issues with trees shadows on track ! Thank you very much!

edit : I made a little recapitulative guide for solving the AA here (again, only for nvidia users) : http://imgur.com/a/avXM0

Also I don't use any vertical sync since it usually adds a lot of input lag.

Last edited:
Btw, does anyone know anything about the bits that are getting downloaded for AC?
I've had Steam on for a couple of hours and in that time the game has been updated with 3 small (a couple MB) downloads. Simple language updates (@AC_assettocorsa tweeted about a spanish version some 6 hrs ago)?

• Deleted member 151827

The 4x Sparse grid supersampling solved all my AA issues with trees shadows on track ! Thank you very much!

edit : I made a little recapitulative guide for solving the AA here (again, only for nvidia users) : http://imgur.com/a/avXM0

Also I don't use any vertical sync since it usually adds a lot of input lag.

My nnvidi inspector looks different than you guy's. Here is a picture. Did i pick the correct one? EEEK Another small picture. Anyway it's AA_MODE_REPLAY_SGSSAA_4X Thanks

Attachments

• 321.jpg
    321.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 330

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back