Windows 1903 and WMR

• Thread starter Deleted member 197115
  • Start date
The steam image quality is amazing. But the cliffhouse is horribly aliased.
Even when I'm inside Steam and I press the windows button on the controller, the WMR menu that pops up is aliased and shimmery.

• Deleted member 197115

What do you guys do in the Cliffhouse?

And yes, image is bad there even at High (beta) settings. Don't care really.

• Deleted member 197115

Too many changes for a "dead" platform.

Did see the OpenXR support. Had hoped they would add support to Linux too.
Just did see in the requirements Xbox one or Win 10 support
Architecture ARM64, x64
Wonder if that is an indication of WMR support on Xbox?
That could get the sales and development going!

Tried 60 Hz and all was good on a Lenovo HMD.
Something changes with the scaling when going to 60Hz.
RF2 dropped to 1267 x 1257 @ 100% app
So maybe that is what happen to you too?
Noticed in the menu's that it was blurry outside the sweetspot.
When I upscaled to a more normal ~ 1760 X 1760 it all looked great again and for the short test I did not even notice it was running at lower frequency.

The colors are so much better on the Lenovo on 1903 like a new headset! :)

I’m quite shocked at the difference with 1903 on the Lenovo Explorer. It looks amazing and is incredibly smooth.
Definitely feels like a new headset! Very happy!

Last edited:
I did the upgrade from 1803 to 1903, opted into the betas for wmr for steam and steam vr.

I did notice a nice bump in visual clarity and I seemed to be getting slightly better fps even though the default steam vr video slider had bumped itself up a bit.

Overall, I was really pleased with the jump apart from one issue. Every time I fired up steam vr it gave me a 108 error code and said the headset was not detected, meaning I had to remove and reinsert the usb cable every time I powered up the pc.

I had the bright idea of uninstalling wmr for steam vr, steam vr and the windows mixed reality app. That's when it all went wrong :D
No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the mixed reality app to reinstall:thumbsdown:

After much hair pulling I've rolled back to 1803 and everything works once more. The visual clarity is noticeably worse after having the benefit of seeing 1803 and 1903 back to back so I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go for a clean install when I can set aside the free time :)

• Deleted member 197115

New mixed reality for SteamVR beta is out.
Looks like they have finally nailed reprojection performance. Or almost did.

• Deleted member 197115

One more thing, with 1903 if you set Headset display/Input Switching to Manual in WMR Portal, AC will acquire input focus on race start without need for that Win-Y. PCars2 seems to be the same.
Counter intuitive, I know. :O_o:

Guys, I'm having problems with my Odyssey not being recognised on every boot of the pc.

I had this issue a week ago after updating from 1803 to 1903. I rolled back to 1803 and everything worked fine again.

Over this weekend I decided to do a completely fresh install of 1903 and the problem is back once again. On every boot the hmd is not recognised by either Windows Mixed Reality or Steam VR. Unplugging and reinserting either the usb or hdmi fixes the issue and I can carry on as normal.

As soon as I reboot, the HMD is no longer seen and I have to unplug/replug again. Every time :mad:

I've tried:
Using all of the usb ports available (Intel, Asmedia, Via)
Uninstall reinstall all drivers relating to those ports via device manager
Uninstall reinstall windows mixed reality
Uninstall reinstall wmr for steam vr (beta and non beta)
Uninstall reinstall steam vr (beta and non beta)

I don't think it's a power issue as the HMD power led lights up and flashes as soon as I power on the pc.

The GPU drivers are the latest from Nvidia and fresh with the new windows install but I do think it's strange that unplugging and reinserting the hdmi fixes the issue each time. Could it be that the GPU isn't sending a hdmi signal upon first boot?

Then again, it was the same GPU and driver when I was on 1803 and everything worked just fine:thumbsdown:

I'm at a complete loss here. I could go back to a fresh install of 1803 or perhaps 1809 but I'd like to stay on 1903 if I can as I don't fancy another whole day of setting everything up again:cry:

I'm at a complete loss here

Guys, I'm having problems with my Odyssey not being recognised on every boot of the pc.

I had this issue a week ago after updating from 1803 to 1903. I rolled back to 1803 and everything worked fine again.

Over this weekend I decided to do a completely fresh install of 1903 and the problem is back once again. On every boot the hmd is not recognised by either Windows Mixed Reality or Steam VR. Unplugging and reinserting either the usb or hdmi fixes the issue and I can carry on as normal.

As soon as I reboot, the HMD is no longer seen and I have to unplug/replug again. Every time :mad:

I've tried:
Using all of the usb ports available (Intel, Asmedia, Via)
Uninstall reinstall all drivers relating to those ports via device manager
Uninstall reinstall windows mixed reality
Uninstall reinstall wmr for steam vr (beta and non beta)
Uninstall reinstall steam vr (beta and non beta)

I don't think it's a power issue as the HMD power led lights up and flashes as soon as I power on the pc.

The GPU drivers are the latest from Nvidia and fresh with the new windows install but I do think it's strange that unplugging and reinserting the hdmi fixes the issue each time. Could it be that the GPU isn't sending a hdmi signal upon first boot?

Then again, it was the same GPU and driver when I was on 1803 and everything worked just fine:thumbsdown:

I'm at a complete loss here. I could go back to a fresh install of 1803 or perhaps 1809 but I'd like to stay on 1903 if I can as I don't fancy another whole day of setting everything up again:cry:

Disabled fast startup fixed my connection issues with a USB-C to Hdmi/usb 3 extension I have.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

PS. Feel free to let Vale/ Index know about this:roflmao:

Disabled fast startup fixed my connection issues with a USB-C to Hdmi/usb 3 extension I have.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

PS. Feel free to let Vale/ Index know about this:roflmao:

Thanks mate, I will give that a try when I get back home later on today.

I do remember that fast boot is enabled in the bios (just as it was with 1803) but maybe 1903 and fast boot don't like to play well together. It's worth a shot.

Edit: I've just read the article you linked and it's a Windows feature that I need to disable rather than playing around in the bios.

I had no idea such a thing existed!

• Deleted member 197115

Something is wonky with HMD detection after 1903. While I don't have the issue of recognizing HMD on reboots, it goes haywire after PC sleep, so I need to reboot.
Disabled all power save options on HMD and USB devices, still happenning.

@Bjarne Hansen

Thank you so much for the tip. It worked perfectly and now my hmd is recognised on every boot up. There's no way I would have worked that out for myself and you've saved me many hours of frustration :thumbsup:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%