Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

As long as we are talking about cars:

Taxi engines usually last more miles for the reasons stated above.
Less cold starts and normally good maintenance.

On the other hand a lot of parts like the gear box, suspension, tyres and interior/drivers seat will be worn out by excessive use.

"Garage Queens" on the other hand (old in time and young in miles") mostly suffer from degrading rubber and plastic parts like suspension bushings and seals.

How that translate into electronics?

I have little experience in this field, usually I buy devices and replace them when they fail hopefully decades later.

That tactic probably will not work with my gaming PC ( my first ;)) as I´m already dreaming of an upgrade.

Hope you are right about the big price drop.
For a short time here in my local store 6800xt and 3080 could be had for around 1200€ but now are out of stock. Of course that could mean that they are preparing for the hammer to drop......

Lets hope Carsten

3080 availability is better and near list price finally.
Most of those companies are desperate to get rid of these cards before they plummet in value.
The prices still do not represent good deals, given almost two years old technology above the supposed MSRP.
Most of the 'cheaper' ones (for lack of a better term) are plain XC3 cards.
On the AMD side....
Why do folks still keep uttering the words '6500XT?'
It should never come across anyone's lips outside of the initial reviews.
It is a junk product, not worthy of mention.

Last edited:
3080 availability is better and near list price finally.
EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti FTW3 GAMING $2149.99 BUY NOW!
This is pretty insane. Didnt know it was so expensive.
I keep my wallet in closet.
Very closed:roflmao:

EDIT: Changed "in closet" to "closed". :ninja:

Last edited:
Not
Many years ago I thought a $300 GPU was excessive.
The whole thing is being driven by temporary insanity and addiction.
Guys were buying RTX3080 at almost $2500 to game and justifying it.
I'm just not that silly.
Anything more than $850 means buyers got violated.
The fact this is now almost two years on, means anybody buying this card at those prices is getting 'hosed' even harder.

• Deleted member 197115

The whole thing is being driven by temporary insanity and addiction.
Guys were buying RTX3080 at almost $2500 to game and justifying it.
I'm just not that silly.
Anything more than $850 means buyers got violated.
The fact this is now almost two years on, means anybody buying this card at those prices is getting 'hosed' even harder.
You can get 3080 in that price range, there are always people who want the best, price no matter. It's not new, NVidia Titan RTX was $2.5-3K too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get 3080 in that price range, there are always people who want the best, price no matter. It's not new, NVidia Titan RTX was $2.5-3K too.
So true. That is why products typically have a range. The highest profits are always on the highest end products targeted at people that don't achieve satisfaction unless they know they have the best you can buy. My assumption is there are people that currently own a RTX3090 and will sell it to get an RTX3090Ti. I can image the logic, "if I sell my RTX3090 for $200 less than I paid I can get an RTX3090Ti for $600 total upgrade cost.

My own conclusion conserning the reason the prices have been "allowed" to get that high by the marked is that its because both the crypto mining and the VR techs graphic demands.
Because if it wasnt because the VR thing in really high quality does actually demands graphic cards even higher than the 3090 then most gamers would be satisfied with a 1080-2070.

• Deleted member 197115

"Allowed" as MSRP or street prices driven by scalpers?
3080 series GPUs MSRP was actually cheaper than 2080, but supply/demand situation wreaked havoc on the whole market.

VR demands are higher but not as insane as most people believe.
Buying an RTX-3080Ti or RTX-3090Ti for as much as a good used car is absolutely insane.
My first introduction into VR was with an Oculus CV1 on a GTX-1070 non Ti and Intel I7-3820 clocked at 3.8 GHz.
It was very smooth and quite playable even with re-projection at 45 fps in the most demanding title....ACC.
Did it get better with the GTX-1080Ti? Sure!
It wasn't so much about having the top-end gear but about having better matched components.
That was proven when I sold the CV1 and went to what was considered a 'downgrade' in the form of the Lenovo Explorer with that same GTX-1080Ti.
It proved to be an almost perfect experience due to the better clarity in that cheaper headset.
Later switching to an AMD platform in the form of a R5-2600x optimized that GPU and gained a bit more performance overall.
Properly pairing components offers more benefit in VR than spending a king's ransom.

Properly pairing components offers more benefit in VR than spending a king's ransom.
if it wasnt because the VR thing in really high quality does actually demands graphic cards even higher than the 3090 then most gamers would be satisfied with a 1080-2070.
Terry I agree its often a good strategy to lower your expectations to what you consider a reasonable compromise between graphic quality and economics - but..
But what I am talking about using the words "really high quality" then its a quality that is (somewhat) comparable with at least todays rather meagre HD 1080p flatscreen resolution.
And at least from what I have seen then even todays socalled high ends VR sets cannot compete with this resolution and picture quality.
Far from.;)
And Im not even talking about getting the same 90+ fps as most of todays 2D screens can reach.:laugh:

Having upgraded from my Lenovo Explore to a HP Reverb G2 using the same RTX 2070 GPU and still able to run decent settings in the sims I enjoy most in VR.

I find the VR software more of an issue than the GPU.
In rf2 going to OpenXR with Jabbah's modified OpenVR_API.DLL are a serious boost in frame time resulting in a very smooth game play.
Not using AC nor ACC but both sims also benefits from OpenXR

Just showing that OpenVR are an outdated and inefficient API and upgrading that makes more of a difference than upgrading to a higher powered GPU.

Unfortunately that doesn't work with AMS2 / PC 2 as they use a very old OpenVR version but the
special OpenVR-FSR for Ams2 and PC2 makes them work very well on same settings as I used for the Lenovo headset.
AMS1 and Gtr2 in VR are also very easy on GPU so can also run high SS there.

Buying an RTX-3080Ti or RTX-3090Ti for as much as a good used car is absolutely insane.
Have you looked at used car prices in the USA? They're insane, too, and you can't get a GOOD used car for the price of these cards!

Example: $2,800 will get you a 2010 Chrysler Sebring with 212,000 miles.
Example: $2,200 will get you a 2009 Nissan Cube with 230,000 miles.
Example: $2,700 will get you a 2009 VW Jetta with 221,000 miles.

No, if you want a GOOD used car, you'll be forking over more than $5,000.

Last edited:
Most of those companies are desperate to get rid of these cards before they plummet in value.
The prices still do not represent good deals, given almost two years old technology above the supposed MSRP.
Most of the 'cheaper' ones (for lack of a better term) are plain XC3 cards.
On the AMD side....
Why do folks still keep uttering the words '6500XT?'
It should never come across anyone's lips outside of the initial reviews.
It is a junk product, not worthy of mention.
Compared to the scalper prices it's a great deal.
Sure, prices will drop when 4000 series cards arrive.
Difficult to predict future value of used cards in today's crazy GPU market.

Ok, Ok

I lost my nerves and bought one.

As a famous german philosopher once said:

"life´s to short to live somewhen in the future"

Prices were stagnating for a while now and I just wanted to have one for quite some time.

So a 3080 ROG strix happened ( was 20€ more than the TUF) over the counter in my local store.
Really love that thing, it brings my tripples to life.

For my FHD screens I´d probably have gotten away with a 3070 for good quality and useable FPS, but I wasn´t sure of that and wanted the headroom for 1440p triples if necessary.

That will not be necessary for a while, at least until the upgrade bug strikes again.

MFG Carsten

Ok, Ok

I lost my nerves and bought one.

As a famous german philosopher once said:

"life´s to short to live somewhen in the future"

Prices were stagnating for a while now and I just wanted to have one for quite some time.

So a 3080 ROG strix happened ( was 20€ more than the TUF) over the counter in my local store.
Really love that thing, it brings my tripples to life.

For my FHD screens I´d probably have gotten away with a 3070 for good quality and useable FPS, but I wasn´t sure of that and wanted the headroom for 1440p triples if necessary.

That will not be necessary for a while, at least until the upgrade bug strikes again.

MFG Carsten
Nice one! Totally understandable!
The Asus tut and strix coolers are insane. Do you even hear your card? I rarely do :D

So do you guys think a 3080 is enough for high settings on 3 x 1440p in rF2, AC Content Manager and AMS2? I currently have what I think is possibly horrible pixel crawling in AC on 3 x 1080 with a 6700xt. I really don't think I could run 3 x 1440 with acceptable (for me) in game settings with my current card.

Have you checked your not cpu limited when it gets choppy? Rf2 and AC are both single thread limited and triples make the cpu bottleneck worse because of draw calls. I found cpu and ram speed and timings made a huge difference in rf2 even with triples. What cpu and ram are you running?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • More leagues

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 7.4%