Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

Nice one! Totally understandable!
The Asus tut and strix coolers are insane. Do you even hear your card? I rarely do :D
Actually my PC is quite audible, not much more silent than the predecessor RX5700XT (TUF) on high fan curves.
But that can also be the case fans as I have high fancurves.

I´ll have to experiment test some more.

At the moment i´m just enjoying the performance :inlove:

MFG Carsten

So do you guys think a 3080 is enough for high settings on 3 x 1440p in rF2, AC Content Manager and AMS2? I currently have what I think is possibly horrible pixel crawling in AC on 3 x 1080 with a 6700xt. I really don't think I could run 3 x 1440 with acceptable (for me) in game settings with my current card.
I had the same issues which "necessitated" :rolleyes: the upgrade.

After adjusting the MIP LOD bias to zero it went away for me:

Content Manager / Asseto Corsa / Video:

MIP LOD.PNG

Maybe try that first If your card can give you enough FPS because now the FIA fences at Nordschleife don´t crawl anymore and I can see distant apexes.

MFG Carsten

Have you checked your not cpu limited when it gets choppy? Rf2 and AC are both single thread limited and triples make the cpu bottleneck worse because of draw calls. I found cpu and ram speed and timings made a huge difference in rf2 even with triples. What cpu and ram are you running?
Thats completely possible as I have a substandard 3600x ( for the GPU) which has a load between 25-35% in games.
I know about the two core problem but a re currently not motivated to dig deeper, also no actual wish to overclock the CPU ( right now)

MFG Carsten

Specs.PNG

Last edited:
I had the same issues which "necessitated" :rolleyes: the upgrade.

After adjusting the MIP LOD bias to zero it went away for me:

Content Manager / Asseto Corsa / Video:

View attachment 564964

Maybe try that first If your card can give you enough FPS because now the FIA fences at Nordschleife don´t crawl anymore and I can see distant apexes.

MFG Carsten
Thanks I'll try it. :)

Actually my PC is quite audible, not much more silent than the predecessor RX5700XT (TUF) on high fan curves.
But that can also be the case fans as I have high fancurves.

I´ll have to experiment test some more.

At the moment i´m just enjoying the performance :inlove:

MFG Carsten
I bet it's the case and cpu fans then. I hear mine loud and clear when I start gaming but when doing a gpu only benchmark (load test when undervolting), it's like: "hello? Gpu? Are you there?"
And after a minute it gently replies with some barely detectable whoosh sound haha

Have you looked at used car prices in the USA? They're insane, too, and you can't get a GOOD used car for the price of these cards!

Example: $2,800 will get you a 2010 Chrysler Sebring with 212,000 miles.
Example: $2,200 will get you a 2009 Nissan Cube with 230,000 miles.
Example: $2,700 will get you a 2009 VW Jetta with 221,000 miles.

No, if you want a GOOD used car, you'll be forking over more than $5,000.

2,700AU ( 1,900US ) I got a 2001 Ford Laser / Mazda 323 Hatch with 220,000km
and is in excellent condition well for a 20 year on, very happy :D

2 years later I could sell it for more because of fuel prices

We actually have fuel at 1.60-1.80 per litre when Government removed exercise for 6 months ( for election ..roll eyes ) Before that was $2 litre

My Laser runs on the sniff you a oily rag and I do lots of lift and coast lol

So do you guys think a 3080 is enough for high settings on 3 x 1440p in rF2, AC Content Manager and AMS2? I currently have what I think is possibly horrible pixel crawling in AC on 3 x 1080 with a 6700xt. I really don't think I could run 3 x 1440 with acceptable (for me) in game settings with my current card.

Personally I think you crazy buying now, wait for 4080, they will not be at ridiculous prices and they will have full stock ...so they say

Personally I think you crazy buying now, wait for 4080, they will not be at ridiculous prices and they will have full stock ...so they say
Not buying yet and yeh Rasmus pointed out that even if 40 series do cost more than 30 series the performance increase should mean that 4070 or less may out perform a 3080.

Personally I think they will charge what they can get away with because precedent has been set. I know there is competion now but still, they are not gonna turn down extra cash that they know people will be prepared to pay. I hope I'm wrong.

I currently run 1080 triples on high(ish) in game settings and would not want to use lower settings to go to 1440s, but a 3080 + 3 x 1440s is a big spend for me. It's a lot of dough to play some old games IMO.

Will wait a while longer and see what transpires. :rolleyes:

On the other hand (as one who has lost his nerves and bought now) there's always something better/cheaper on the horizon.

Yes I paid more than MSRP on a already expensive card which will be much cheaper when I retire from work in about 15 years.

Right now I'really happy with optics and performance.
So if in seven month we have cheaper cards ( if IF ) the "extra cash" has bought me month of delight at my favorite hobby.

As I had the money without "starving the kids" so what?? ;)

MFG Carsten

True dat.

I did the same myself a few months ago on a 6700XT.
I just couldn't justify the 3080 price at the time, but when I was offered a price on a card that would enable me to run my current monitors at high settings, I relented for the reasons that you stated above.

You just have to weigh things up I guess and with prices at a 2 year(?) low, we now have a lot of people kinda sitting on the edge of their seats. Completely understand your decision.

I don't think that people like us 3 (Carsten, Denis, me) are the reason for the inflated prices, the market shortages etc etc.
I was lucky (or simply had the time in late 2020 to refresh pages all day..) to get a 3080 for 839€. Still inflated, but "price per fps" was good enough to be a reasonable purchase for my situation.
No way I would be buying something right now though. Too much things stopped being online in my everyday life to make it reasonable, but I really enjoyed having made that purchase.

Carsten and Denis waited a long time and then made a sensible decision. Definitely not a simple impulse purchase, since they were racing for way longer than this **** show is going on.

The issues, from my view are:
- mining
- people with an "unfair" amount of money (top 10% having more than the 90% of a country etc)
- people who took up loans to buy a new gpu, which I'd say is a social/psychological problem of modern society. Similar to taking up loans for the latest iPhone.
At least if these products aren't generating more income to make the loan pay itself.

I'd also argue that too many people who sit as much in front of their PCs (or monitors/phones/etc) to want a gpu that badly have a disrupted dopamine cycle and therefore it gets "non-sensible/reasonable" way easier.
I know I have, I know a lot of my friends have.

Sorry for getting a bit philosophical :roflmao:

I'd also argue that too many people who sit as much in front of their PCs (or monitors/phones/etc) to want a gpu that badly have a disrupted dopamine cycle and therefore it gets "non-sensible/reasonable" way easier.
Fully agree with your post but specially about this part - hehe and even more specific about young and even midle aged peoples completely addicted facination of their cell/mobile phone.
Where I live its almost impossible to see people in this age span walking around without their nose(and eyes) deep down their phone.
And (and now comes my point ;)) when I hear how much some of these people have "invested" in their phone to get the latest model I think (and often say) Are you just plain crazy?

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Its often also people that I know have difficulties by paying their different monthly mandatory expenses. Complete crazy if you ask me.:rolleyes:
BTW2: Yes I own a socalled smart phone - but a very simple and old one costing about 100 US$

@RasmusP

I concure in most of your statements but the one you couldn´t know:

I myself started simdriving in January 2020 and bought my first PC in June 2020 about two month before the excrement made contact with the air mover.
( PC Parts wise, the plague was on roll just then)

Although I spent unhealthy hours in my simrig during the pandemic simracing (and especially the online community around it) helped keep me sane during the lockdowns.

ATM works is crazy, the staff we couldn´t (wouldn´t ??) hold during the lockdowns is missing and the remaining few is doing crazy hours.

Still simracing helps me come down and communicate with "sane" people on a regular basis.
So I view my PC Setup exactly the same way as my sportscar that I havn´t tracked or autocrossed for at least three years and is much to expensive to just drive to work:

It makes me smile everytime I get in, so I keep loving it!!

MFG Carsten

For 2 years I was like "hell no, I ain't buying one" but last week I came across an Asus Tuf Gaming 3080 ti (non-OC) at more or less EU MSRP and I caved...

I was going to wait for the 40's series cards, but I found the early rumours about power consumption and TDP a bit worrying as I'm not planning on switching out a perfectly good 850w PSU just to accomodate a new GPU. Plus, I'm not planning on replacing my 9700K anytime soon either, and combining a 40xx card with this CPU just seemed pointless to me.

So I got the 3080 ti and I'm happy I did: it runs circles around my Gigabyte Aorus 2080 ti all day long, and this at lower temps and at about the same power draw.

I've been experimenting a bit with undervolting but in the end this particular card seems to be at it's best with a "classic" OC of +150 on the core and +500 on the memory. It boosts up to 2130mhz in some games, and I have yet to see it exceed 62c under heavy load. These Asus coolers are quite impressive !

I've been experimenting a bit with undervolting but in the end this particular card seems to be at it's best with a "classic" OC of +150 on the core and +500 on the memory. It boosts up to 2130mhz in some games, and I have yet to see it exceed 62c under heavy load. These Asus coolers are quite impressive !
The Asus tuf cooler is insane, yep! No wonder the next gen will have an even higher power draw...

About undervolting:
To really see if it's better or worse, you would need to monitor the load, the frequency and the power limit marker in a time plot.

The cards can run very high MHz without running into the power limit if the gpu load isn't high enough to need full power.
But you won't see lower fps with lower MHz, since the gpu load has enough headroom.

You basically just waste energy in this scenario.
Undervolting would save energy in this use case.

Then there's the full gpu load scenario, where I bet the card will run a lot lower MHz due to hitting the power limit.
So your +150 clockspeed makes no difference. Even worse, the +500 on the memory might increase the power draw, leading to even lower clockspeeds and lower fps in the end.

In this case undervolting would result in a lower power draw, putting the power limit at a higher clockspeed and therefore increasing fps.

So 2 use cases for undervolting:
- Saving energy when you don't need the full performance of the gpu

- reducing the power draw while also increasing the clockspeed to gain performance

You can easily test this with hwinfo64 or msi afterburner:
Find a game that causes more than 95% gpu load (95 seems to be the maximum for my 3080 sometimes when no dlss, no RT are used and/or I'm recording something).
Then look at the power limit marker. "0" and "1" in afterburner, "yes" in hwinfo64.

If it's hitting the power limit, check the clockspeed.
Any clockspeed above this value won't result in more fps in almost every game.
It depends on how the games uses the card though. You can have different clockspeeds while hitting the power limit. But the difference isn't big.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.