Why Automobilista has outdated graphics?!

Seriously guys, i would lovely buy this game and i know it's amazing! But the graphics engine is outdated as hell... It's something like 15-20 years old but with higher quality textures.. It destroys any kind of immersion.... :-(

Basically, I disabled everything except Vibrance in the SweetFX preset file and set that to - 0.175. I gave it up after that because, for every iteration, you have to quit AMS and run it again, which takes a lot of time. Anyway, it seems to me that someone with a bit more patience could tweak AMS visuals to their heart's content.
Thanks for the input aleph. Just a FYI, you most definitely do not need to restart AMS every time you tweak a sweetfx setting. Just disabling and re-enabling it in-game with the Scroll/Lock key will force it to use the updated settings.

Just disabling and re-enabling it in-game with the Scroll/Lock key will force it to use the updated settings.

I couldn't get this to work with Scroll Lock. However, I noticed that the settings are automatically updated when you TAB out of the game and back to it, which is already very helpful. Definitely, you can have lots of fun with SweetFX. For example, notice how the asphalt texture becomes more visible with this "grungy" look:

20161013175345_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant Pause/Break! I agree that Sweetfx is a great way to go if you are not happy with the default look of AMS, and it's great that it's an option built in to the game. I use a modification of these settings posted on this thread by smove and am overall very happy with the way things look. It'd be great to have a Sweetfx sharing section in the mod section, rather than having to glean them out of this thread!

Of course like many of us I'd love to see proper HDR, dynamic lighting, cockpit shadowing etc. Hence my anticipation of Reiza 2017 which will hopefully have these things as part of the GFX engine transplant.

There's no way a modern graphics engine won't have these things. They've been using HDR in games since the early 00's. I look forward to brights being brighter with darks being darker. Everything else remaining the same it would still make AMS look miles better.

There's no way a modern graphics engine won't have these things. They've been using HDR in games since the early 00's. I look forward to brights being brighter with darks being darker. Everything else remaining the same it would still make AMS look miles better.
Yep. HDR is probably the only thing rF2 has graphically over AMS, IMHO.

Looks so much better with just that small adjustment. If only Reiza could spend some time looking at this issue and applying an easy fix.

There is no easy fix, colors primarily come from the textures and nobody is going to redo tens of thousands of textures (if you count all cars and tracks in the game) just to make it look better to a certain taste. The only sensible way to improve colors is to adjust your own screen or adjust the post-processing, which for AMS means SweetFX.

I am more than happy with the way AMS looks. I use the following settings:
NVidia GTX770 in nVidia contral settings OVERIDING THE GAME SETTINGS.
AA Overide application settings
16 x CSAA
16 x Anti-aliasing
Clamp
single screen
max quality etc

My game runs as smooth as butter and hardly ever drops lower than 90 fps, but mainly in the 150 fps bracket. It looks good enough for me. Admitted, it's not as good as RRE or even AC, but its on a par with RF2 and it does the job for now. I don't use any sweet fx because I prefer the way it looks out of the box. I only drive with cockpit view and to be honest, the good tracks look pretty damn great to me when hustling a V8 stockcar around and soaking up the superb feel and physics. :thumbsup:

The vibrance parameter dont work for me. The car textures have too less saturation, too pale.

I agree with Rem, but my fav. "fix" for a bit more realism is simply set the race time more closer to sunset. Pics with 17:00pm. All (primary) colors have a sweet orange addition. Its a good compromise for me.

AMS_Cat1.JPG

AMS_Cat2.JPG

AMS_Cat3.JPG

Last edited:
The vibrance parameter dont work for me. The car textures have too less saturation, too pale.

I agree with Rem, but my fav. "fix" for a bit more realism is simply set the race time more closer to sunset. Pics with 17:00pm. All (primary) colors have a sweet orange addition. Its a good compromise for me.

REM complained about too much saturation, not too little. This just shows that the whole graphics debate is useless, as it's entirely subjective what you see and depends on screen settings etc. Every game looks better at sunset btw, it's why "PR screenshots" are typically taken at morning or late afternoon.

REM complained about too much saturation, not too little. This just shows that the whole graphics debate is useless, as it's entirely subjective what you see and depends on screen settings etc. Every game looks better at sunset btw, it's why "PR screenshots" are typically taken at morning or late afternoon.
U misunderstand me. Yes, too much sat. I speak about the same theme. But the fix i try with the vib. parameter slow down the car textures too much for me. Thats not a subjective theme, not really.
And yes, other games sunsets looks better. I agree. I spoke about a little compromise for me.

Anyway. The game is what it is, and thats not bad. Its the best old engine game i ever saw, in all facts. Good base for the next title.

Last edited:
That guy clearly has an agenda that has nothing to do with the actual sim.
While trying to help with the sweetfx adjustment, I found it strange that he seemed more interested in complaining about saturation than in actually solving the issue. Now it starts to make sense.

Edit: I also included here a link to a SweetFX thread, but it was removed. Is posting external links against forum rules?

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back