Why Automobilista has outdated graphics?!

Seriously guys, i would lovely buy this game and i know it's amazing! But the graphics engine is outdated as hell... It's something like 15-20 years old but with higher quality textures.. It destroys any kind of immersion.... :-(

I fiddled around with SweetFX a bit and this is what came out: a slightly warmer image with a less saturated blue and a bit of vignette to gain more depth. I'm afraid a selective desaturation for certain colours is impossible to achieve with SweetFX – I'd be glad if somebody could prove me wrong, though! :p

View attachment 153166
Very impressive sfx file smove, thank you! This is my default for the time being!

Don´t forget the hour in the game also changes lighting, but to be honest something is wrong in that AMS video, because I don´t run sweetfx, and the tyres never have that colour! in the video they are very grey almost white, so that is not a comparison.
This a screenshot straght from the game, at 2pm in game, no sweetfx.
20161011215827_1.jpg

I dunno, that video illustrates several interpretations of reality that do not match any images I can find online. Most of the better looking sims seem to make everything much too washed out and/or muddy looking. iRacing looks like you've got dirty dishwater filter turned on and the Codies one feels a bit too dimmed with the result being more purple looking overall than I think is representative of reality. Maybe people find that more immersive in its inaccuracy versus AMS having too much unchecked primary colour brightness, but I find the former not very comparable to image searches for Suzuka skies. rF2 has an alright wash going on but I dunno something is amiss there, like colour depth isn't right, too washed out.

Generally I don't think any of them get it just right, though I think some of the less brilliantly blue parts of the AMS sky look fairly accurate colour-wish to me. Too many advanced graphics engines seem to suffer for crispness in chasing the right filter. They might look better but they don't look more realistic. AMS has the problem when looking at it that the foreground will always be wrong because there's no HDR lighting. Its hard to look at the sky and not see this even though they're not really related.

I dunno, that video illustrates several interpretations of reality that do not match any images I can find online.

3 out of 4 of the sims look like these videos, from 1 year ago, 6 years ago and 13 years ago:

The Automobilista colours are too primary and too vibrant. I don't how many other ways I can show this!

3 out of 4 of the sims look like these videos
Videos do not generally well represent reality. Those are relatively low quality onboard video and the upload quality itself is pretty bad too. Crappy cameras (relatively speaking) never capture light the way your eye does or a good photographer will. I should also note that many are cropped or pointed down so you can't see the brightest part of the sky, whereas cockpit position in a sim looks more upward.

Reality doesn't look like bad video, it might sometimes look like high quality photography. I already said a lot of them get the colours somewhat right but they create other muddy byproducts that lose the brightness of reality. That most games with better quality visuals have chosen to represent the sky as dim as they have doesn't mean they're correct, it just means that's what they decided was right.

Many photographs seem to show that bright primary colours are very much as realistic and I can easily say I never see skies that look like this in most sims.

Some shots of suzuka.
f1-2010-japan-vettel-victory.jpg

image56.png

iu

These ones I find quite striking.
suzuka-grandstand-C-exit-turn-1-panorama.jpg

suzuka-grandstand-B2-first-turn-panorama--1024x551.jpg

suzuka-grandstand-V2-10-panorama-.jpg

suzuka-grandstand-E2-panorama-.jpg

So maybe we need to step back and try to reestablish some objectivity about what exactly is reality.

Yes I agree with you.

For example, here is a photo I took at 2016 Melbourne GP compared to the AMS mod. It is really a good mod, the photo is just a little washed out in the modded track. This is how we would see a track from the cockpit. Our eyes adjust to light and colours in a way that cameras do not.

AMS just needs to 'wash out' the vibrant primary colours to looks a whole lot more realistic, and less like an animated movie.

Attachments

• mgp.png
    mgp.png
    664.1 KB · Views: 229
..and to follow up why it seems "outdated", it is because older sims (my generation) could only use primary colours as their colour palette was so limited.

I would argue that Grand Prix 4, from 14 years ago, does not look that much different from AMS, mainly due to the colour palette used in both.

maxresdefault.jpg

F1 Championship, released TEN years ago looks better than AMS.

pad_screenshot.jpg

Really? I still don't see much of an improvement on Grand Prix 4 from 2002, sorry.

upload_2016-10-13_0-22-22.png

The background looks like the painted scenery of a 1950s cop show too.

This video is TEN years old:

Last edited:
I do agreed with you REM about the colour palette, but don´t forget that base engine used in AMS is from 2005, and since reiza did advanced so much the phycs engine, maybe now it will be good to do something with the graphics, what they are doing, from the september updade they are now working in seamless textures. So always good to have the graphycs being updade even before reiza2017,
But for me that video between the four games is not a good comparasion, something is off in ams. I think this one below in brands hatch can show that AMS is not much outdated, but the colour palette could be better

It is important to note that Barcelona is a modded track, not a Reiza one. All in all it looks fine but apparently does have a minor logo mistake as REM has graciously pointed out. And when I am in a race I am usually not too worried about what the building details look like in the way background.

Don't dig too much REM, I actually get and agree with what you are saying here but I also think it's obvious you prefer AC to AMS and you usually only hit up the AMS forum to discredit things or take things too far and lose the plot. Stay the course mate. :)

I fail to see why he is constantly arguing the point, nobody is disagreeing with him.
Its all starting to look like a crusade that just rumbles on and on.
He needs to accept for some of us AMS looks better than he makes out and is more than enough for us to enjoy the superior physics,FFB and sounds AMS above every other sim.

Oh and yes that track is a modded track with modded cars,i don't ever notice a sign or barrier out of place when I'm enjoying top class physics and FFB.

F1 Championship, released TEN years ago looks better than AMS.

pad_screenshot.jpg

That is a modded version of 99-02 with probably the Ralph Hummerich? car sets. There was no speed blur in it either and this pic shows speed blur so I'd say its been doctored.Maybe;)
I'll admit GP4 still looks good though as the pics below show.
gpx_0009_zps08e51076.png

gpx_0022_zpsd52c4c31.png

Grand Prix 4 :)

AMS is much better and cannot really be compared to F1 Challenge 99-02. The car models are much better, more polygons etc. So they look so much better and the grass and track textures far surpass 99-02. I still use 99-02 occasionally and I'll tell you now, the graphics look way outdated in reality.
AMS is very much better.
20161008190241_1_zpsbjid5qpm.jpg

AMS Marcas

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 128 8.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 162 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 225 14.7%