Why Automobilista has outdated graphics?!

Seriously guys, i would lovely buy this game and i know it's amazing! But the graphics engine is outdated as hell... It's something like 15-20 years old but with higher quality textures.. It destroys any kind of immersion.... :-(

Whats wrong with you guys? Its called depth of field. You either get blurred distant/near objects or an uncanny but useful ideal focus in the whole frame that lets a human eye roam and create its own focus.

Real life is apparently displeasing.
iu
sure DOF works for human eyes too but why would you drive with focus on steering wheel? focus on track and blur dashboard ... anyway, yesterday after testing Porsche pack on AC, which I get bored after few minutes and decided to take a look at changes they made to release version of Brits pack I noticed difference in graphical fidelity between those sims. Not that AC is great looking sim, but lightning, shaders, posteffects are more modern. It took me one lap on Brands to forget about graphics and get immersed .. that is something that rarely happends to me in AC. It tooks something as small as AC engine sounds bellow 2000 RPMs, less nuanced FFB, missing sensation of speed and driving that brakes immersion .. visuals are not braking it for me, or rather I should say it is easy to over come that .. I`m looking at screen in my living room .. my brain is already doing its magic to trick me in what I see ...

Sure I would love to see better graphics in any of mys sims, with no JJ Abrams lensflares, realistic more washed out visuals .. but unless it is going hand to hand with what I feel and hear it is not gonna save the immersion ...

Last edited:
You wouldn't, but lots of pretty screenshots seem to eschew this particular mentality in any game. I even see some people drive with DOF enabled in some sims. Baffles me.
I can imagine DOF working in VR enviroment ... dynamic DOF where you change your focus depending on where you look .. it makes sense to have blured dahsboard but unless you can focus on it when you like it is just usless post process effect for screenshots ...

How do you get that setting on the right?
Sorry, I can't remember, I was just playing around with SweetFX settings. I think it was done with the Vibrance and Tonemap parameters.
I posted a link yesterday to some interesting SweetFX settings, but apparently it is against the rules. I would suggest then the creation of a section with AMS SweetFX setting files for download right here at Race Department.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 215 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%