Which VR headset do you use for sim racing poll?

• Deleted member 197115

The line "renderTargetScale" : 1.5
Default it is 1.0
I have used 2.0 and recently changed it to 1.5 as there was some info from MS that SS would not work over 1.5. But not sure that is correct and might go back to 2.0
I found 1.5 target scale with 150% SS quite inferior to scale 2.0 and SS 200%, with and without reprojection. I do not think "doesn't work over 150%" is accurate information, even that it came from WMR devs, perhaps it used to be the case before, now I can clearly see improvement going to 200%.
General VR question, does it matter if AC is set to run in full screen when using VR.
I think windowed presentation consumes less resources, yes, no?

This thing works great.
I can't thank Ford and Deutsch enough for turning me on to it.
KS seems to have taken 'extra' pride in reproducing Mugello... and since it is one of my favorite tracks to run open-wheel cars on, that's where I started.
In WMR the track looks absolutely fantastic.
Gone, is the lack of definition of the car's out-line during replays as is seen with my Rift.
I took the RSS V6 and KS' own SF70T around it for six laps each in a dimly lit room.
Not one single tracking hiccup.
The 'Ferrari Red' looked stunning with lots of sparkle and detail as the car 'whizzed' on by.
The track textures, the grass at the side of the track, the numbers on the steering wheel, the track's braking markers...it all looks very very 'clean'.
I am not mirroring to the monitor, so all I have there is a solid red screen.
The only issue to date is replay control.
Since it doesn't come with controllers, advancing or rewinding replay will be a challenge.
I'm hoping some smart 'modder' will eventually get around to making a utility to sort that aspect.

Last edited:
Just to be sure you have setup the headset right.
Goto your steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settings
Open file 'default.vrsettings'
Chexk the lines in Bold

{
"driver_Holographic" : {
"renderTargetScale" : 1.5
},
"driver_Holographic_Experimental" : {
// Motion reprojection doubles framerate through motion vector extrapolation
// motionvector = force application to always run at half framerate with motion vector reprojection
// auto = automatically use motion reprojection when the application can not maintain native framerate
"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",

// Automatic motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
// green = off because application can render at full framerate
// light blue = on because application is cpu bound
// dark blue = on because application is gpu bound
// red = off because application running at less than half framerate
"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,

// Some people may experience increased discomfort such as nausea, motion sickness, dizziness,
// disorientation, headache, fatigue, or eye strain when using thumbstick controls in Windows Mixed Reality.
"thumbstickControlsEnabled" : false, // true = use thumbsticks for artificial turn/move, false = default application thumbstick behavior
"thumbstickControlsReversed" : false,
"thumbstickTurnSmooth" : false,
"thumbstickDeadzone" : 0.25
},
"NoInterEyeRotation" : {
"DOOMVFRx64.exe" : true
}
}

The line "renderTargetScale" : 1.5
Default it is 1.0
I have used 2.0 and recently changed it to 1.5 as there was some info from MS that SS would not work over 1.5. But not sure that is correct and might go back to 2.0
"motionReprojectionMode" : "auto",
Just remove the // in front of the line and make sure it is on Auto or it will force 45 fps on.
"motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled" : true,
This is an indicator in upper left corner.
Dark blue indicate GPU is limiting factor to reach 90 fps
I set my graphics so that I stay green for 80-90% of the time.
Motion re-projection works a lot better than ASW but yes it might still be annoying for you.
But at least you can easy see if the issue are Cpu or Gpu.

In SteamVR only SS works / should be used with WMR headsets.
Try it in Auto first but it might not work right for you and you can set it manual.
I do not go online much and newer in AC so do not know what settings is right.
But with a RTX 2070 I can run races against Ai with everything on max except shadows.
Some of the effects are on medium as I prefer that.
I do not have PP on ether as I do not like how it looks.
I have AC in auto SS but I do not use AC much.
Hope some of this can help you enjoy the headset.

I found 1.5 target scale with 150% SS quite inferior to scale 2.0 and SS 200%, with and without reprojection. I do not think "doesn't work over 150%" is accurate information, even that it came from WMR devs, perhaps it used to be the case before, now I can clearly see improvement going to 200%.
General VR question, does it matter if AC is set to run in full screen when using VR.
I think windowed presentation consumes less resources, yes, no?

Hi

Can you download and run this replay?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12og83Os8bpB4YMVkCcCSLROoPhH_N51H/view

Switch to the inside of the SCG_003

On lap 1, How low does your framerate drop in these green sections?

upload_2018-12-20_8-58-57.png

With WMR SS at 1.0, Steam SS at 50%, All graphic settings on the Default AC menus set to the lowest possible or off (mirrors off, reflections off. PP off) I have:

• 90fps at the start line.
  • Drops to ~50fps in the first and second green sections.
  • Drops to 70fps in the last green.

With content manager, with the same settings as above but with shadows fully disabled and patched, I get:
  • 90fps with some spikes in all sections.

Conclusions:
  • This is the same performance I had with my VEGA64 + Oculus rift. Appalling!
  • When switching to the 1080ti, I could run all settings MAXED on the RIFT at 90fps.
  • When switching to the 1080ti + Odyssey, I have the monkey business framerates and quality I posted above.
  • Oddly enough, With 4X AA enabled, performance is better than no AA!
  • What is wrong with WMR and OPENVR? this is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Conclusions:
  • This is the same performance I had with my VEGA64 + Oculus rift. Appalling!
  • When switching to the 1080ti, I could run all settings MAXED on the RIFT at 90fps.
  • When switching to the 1080ti + Odyssey, I have the monkey business framerates and quality I posted above.
  • Oddly enough, With 4X AA enabled, performance is better than no AA!
  • What is wrong with WMR and OPENVR? this is ridiculous.
I get your frustration. Newer had issues with WMR but had endless issues with previous headset.
First you really need to acknowledges that since the rest of us do not have your issues with same or even less powerful hardware the issue might not be WMR and /or OpenVr but with with you/ your setup!
I would suggest going back and start over again.
Unplug headset, uninstall software.
Update Gpu driver
Check how AC runs on monitor, fps good?
Plug in headset and let windows install software again, Check everything is smooth in cliff house.
Install SteamVR
Install Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. I suggest opt in on beta as it got more option.
Make the setting like I did in Post #18
In steamVR set SS to manual and put it on 1.5 - 2.0
Run AC on High or Max as you like.
Check upper left corner of headset.
There should be a green square that turns dark or light blue if fps drops to 45. Or Red if it can't even maintain 45 fps.
Good luck finding your problem you will enjoy the headset when you get it sorted.

I have two ssd's with two win10 installs just to diagnose this problem. The Pc is powerfull, clean and works flawlessly outside of (open)VR. No issues with the rift.

I just need to check your performance under that replay if you would be so kind.

Just tried the replay.
First time I ever saw a replay in VR. Also likely last time:) Always get a little bored with long replays.
Didn't have/ see any stutter!
First round the re-projection stayed on 100% of the time due to high cpu usage ~97% Light blue square!
Second round was 50/50 re projection
After than is was 80-90% at 90 fps.
Always due to Cpu it dropped to 45 fps.
I do have some issues with my cpu/ Mb it is a i7 7700K but my Gigabye MB isn't great.
Currently it is at stock clock 4.2.

What color are the upper left square in the HMD?

I have it all disabled on the steamapps/windowsmr config file because I need to see the real FPS without reprojection. You ran the first lap with reprojection enabled? It would be better to disasble it first to see how much it dips!

You can skip the replay to the race start, and then to the first and second green areas on the map I posted above. But it has to be inside the glickenhaus SCG_003

I really do not understand why you would want to do that?
I thought the whole point was to get the experiences as good as you can?
Do not have stutter at all! I only see re projection is on due to the square turns from green to light blue!
Maybe somebody else want to try but I am not going to disable my hardware for a test that doesn't make any sense to me!

I finally got my Lenovo Explorer Headset on my hands, I mean, my head.

Wow, the experience is pretty awesome. I am impressed by so many things. It amaze me how much information you get in terms of distance and dept. On tracks with considerable elevation changes, like Brands Hatch, the immersion surprises you. Track side objects now have realistic space and volume. I was a bit worry about motion sickness, but actually it was not that bad. Most of the time I forgot about it, but at certain scenarios it definetly hit me. Close objects and text looks very good, distant objects are a bit blurry and there is some shimering on the distance, but probably can be because of how I have it configured.

The headset is quiet good. There is ZERO delay at all on the head tracking. Visually is not bad. Colors are kind of washed out and the sweet spot at least for me is not to big, but still quiet good. Animation is very smooth, but still I do not know if its because it is using reprojection or not.

I was looking at the links shared about setting parameters like SS (which I really cannot find on the app settings) at 200 and scale resolution too, but to be honest I am very very confused about all the discussions that contadicted themselves. There are references to settings inside files that do not longer exists, probably due to a recent update of SteamVR and SteamVR for MMR. I see different app settings compared to what is explained. If someone can tell or update the settings to the latest VR software I would appreciate it. Also, what would be the best settings inside AC, ACC and rFactor2?

My big concern at the moment is the headset does not work all the time. The very first time it was not properly detected, but it was due to have my USB 3.0 ports on legacy mode. After disable it the headset was detected. On the second day the headset was not detected by my Windows, I was updating the USB 3.0 drivers until I finally was able to get it back. I am not 100% is the headset, the cable, or my USB 3.0 ports on my very old ASUS motherboard. I just received my new rig parts (mobo, CPU, memories, etc.) so I hope I would know who is at fault.

• Deleted member 197115

I was looking at the links shared about setting parameters like SS (which I really cannot find on the app settings) at 200 and scale resolution too, but to be honest I am very very confused about all the discussions that contadicted themselves. There are references to settings inside files that do not longer exists, probably due to a recent update of SteamVR and SteamVR for MMR. I see different app settings compared to what is explained. If someone can tell or update the settings to the latest VR software I would appreciate it. Also, what would be the best settings inside AC, ACC and rFactor2?
See if this helps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y8T8RtP1ma7MzxGmZSshUWhkmBSeNMA7/view?usp=sharing

Nice write up. Not using same settings but then again not using AC much.
Newer heard about setting the FOV low. Always been using 105 and been happy with details but will for sure try next time.
I assume your fairly low graphics settings (for your PC) are due to you use the gbWsuite?

• Deleted member 197115

Nice write up. Not using same settings but then again not using AC much.
Newer heard about setting the FOV low. Always been using 105 and been happy with details but will for sure try next time.
I assume your fairly low graphics settings (for your PC) are due to you use the gbWsuite?
The first preset is not that low. GBW Suite does not negatively impact performance, unless you are talking of PP filters in general, Shader Mod on the other hand does, not as bad after recent optimizations but still there.
I can probably go a bit higher on some settings on my new 9900K build, but consistent 90fps with AI grid is more important to me.

Thanks for the documents update.

Is there a way to test if I am running at 90hz or is the headset applying reprojection?
Are there any benchmark tools for VR that can be used with WMR? On my monitor MSI afterburner shows me 45fps always.

Good news for me. It turns out I need to set my PC in High Performance mode and ensure the USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting is set to Disabled. This from the Change advanced power settings on windows control panel.

Thanks for the documents update.

Is there a way to test if I am running at 90hz or is the headset applying reprojection?
Are there any benchmark tools for VR that can be used with WMR? On my monitor MSI afterburner shows me 45fps always.

Good news for me. It turns out I need to set my PC in High Performance mode and ensure the USB Settings->USB selective suspend setting is set to Disabled. This from the Change advanced power settings on windows control panel.

Make certain to use the driver 10.0.17760.1000 if using Windows10 1803 or later.
Initially on setup, my headset would also go to a plain blue screen, then shutdown.
That'd happen every few minutes if I wasn't actively doing something in the headset.
I'd also get the "please reconnect your headset" message.
I have not seen either of those since going to that newer driver.
I've found it to be really quite stable.
Not simracing related but if you like history, go get the HoloTour. It is extremely cool.
What graphics card are you using currently?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.